MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Y.T. Tokarev

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Catweazle

Number of posts : 35
Location / Country : England
Registration date : 2019-12-05

Y.T. Tokarev Empty
PostSubject: Y.T. Tokarev   Y.T. Tokarev Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2020 7:19 pm

I've bought a Y.T metal Tokarev which performs like a wet lettuce. I don't know whether I have a dude gun or not, but I'm not impressed.

There is no bang from the 7mm caps, but the caps are going off. And there is no blowback. It seems to me that the caps just don't have the power to make this gun work properly. I've tried the one shot disposable cartridges too, with little difference. Just a weak puff, with the shells not being ejected. Does anyone have any experience with the gun?

I have another Y.T gun (Glock 27) which works, but the bang is very weak and unimpressive. Am I right to think that Metal blowback pistols need more power than a 7mm cap gives? Or is it that Y.T guns are just rubbish?

Any advise please?
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Y.T. Tokarev Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y.T. Tokarev   Y.T. Tokarev Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2020 7:42 pm

catweazle, no mate 7mm caps are more than powerful enough, they can blow back metal bolts on thompsons, stens, sterlings and a pretty heavy bolt on my Hudson steel greasgun, so no for pistols both 5mm and 7mm have more than enough power.
The problem could well be the round, YT rounds are very poor for holding in the pressure and those of us who have Yt models try to found maruhsin or mgc rounds that will fit as they work better. That said the YT 1911 does not seem to have a compatable japanese round so some have used a 7mm and kids cap gun cap which seems to do the job.
The Tokarev i have to say has a very bad rep for firing from YT, my walther YT PPK has the same problem, original rounds no good marushin ppk rounds also no good and i cannot figure out why. try some silcone grease around the screw threads that can help in holding in the pressure but even that is not always a fail safe on YT models.
Back to top Go down
Catweazle

Y.T. Tokarev Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y.T. Tokarev   Y.T. Tokarev Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 3:23 pm

claymore wrote:
catweazle, no mate 7mm caps are more than powerful enough, they can blow back metal bolts on  thompsons, stens, sterlings and a pretty heavy bolt on my Hudson steel greasgun, so no for pistols both 5mm and 7mm have more than enough power.
The problem could well be the round, YT rounds are very poor for holding in the pressure and those of us who have Yt models try to found maruhsin or mgc rounds that will fit as they work better. That said the YT 1911 does not seem to have a compatable japanese round so some have used a 7mm and kids cap gun cap which seems to do the job.
The Tokarev i have to say has a very bad rep for firing from YT, my walther YT PPK has the same problem, original rounds no good marushin ppk rounds also no good and i cannot figure out why. try some silcone grease around the screw threads that can help in holding in the pressure but even that is not always a fail safe on YT models.

Thanks for explaining the power of caps. However, even if I found the right rounds to make a bang, I'd still have trouble with this gun because it will not cycle. I've not been able to eject even one round on racking the slide. Every singe round jams. I'm convinced Y.T guns are poor quality. I had a problem with it before I even took it out of the box.

On unboxing I saw that the trigger was detached. I very carefully search the box for the trigger pin, with it being so tiny, but it was not there. That means it came from the manufacturer incomplete. I had to get replacement pin from MG-Props.

I'm going to give Y.T another chance. I'm going to get a Derringer Magnum. I've lost confidence in Y.T blowback. Surely, a simple gun that a Derringer should work.
Back to top Go down
oozlum
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 150
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2019-12-08

Y.T. Tokarev Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y.T. Tokarev   Y.T. Tokarev Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 3:49 pm

I bought a YT Tokarev recently as well, and with trial and error have had more luck, with both single use and the normal carts that came with it. A good oil of everything, including the carts seemed to help. I actually really like this model - the solidity of it gives a good feel in the hand. Having said that, I’m not confident that I can get through a full magazine without a stoppage. I’ve noticed that the magazine is longer than the rounds, so they can move forward in the mag which can’t help reliability. This is my first YT. I like it but would hesitate before buying another metal auto. I’d be interested on your thoughts about the derringer.
Back to top Go down
Catweazle

Y.T. Tokarev Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y.T. Tokarev   Y.T. Tokarev Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 6:38 pm

oozlum wrote:
I bought a YT Tokarev recently as well, and with  trial and error have had more luck, with both single use and the normal carts that came with it. A good oil of everything, including the carts seemed to help. I actually really like this model - the solidity of it gives a good feel in the hand. Having said that, I’m not confident that I can get through a full magazine without a stoppage. I’ve noticed that the magazine is longer than the rounds, so they can move forward in the mag which can’t help reliability. This is my first YT. I like it but would hesitate before buying another metal auto. I’d be interested on your thoughts about the derringer.

At last, I've got a Y.T. gun that works. The Y.T Derringer .22 Magnum. I went for the black finish, because their silver guns look cheap. Very easy to use, takes one 5mm cap that goes in the front of the cartridge. Nice and loud with a good muzzle flash.

I won't be buying another Y.T. metal auto, but I would try a Y.T revolver if they ever make one. They should stop making autos, or learn how to make them worth buying!
Back to top Go down
oozlum
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 150
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2019-12-08

Y.T. Tokarev Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y.T. Tokarev   Y.T. Tokarev Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks for your thoughts on the derringer. It’s on my list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Y.T. Tokarev Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y.T. Tokarev   Y.T. Tokarev Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Y.T. Tokarev
Page 1 of 1