MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC XM16E1 project!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Julen

Number of posts : 7
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2020-11-14

MGC XM16E1 project! Empty
PostSubject: MGC XM16E1 project!   MGC XM16E1 project! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 12:37 pm

I finally caved into my deepest desire to own anything relatively close to an XM16E1, seeing they are remarkably rare to find, in airsoft (unless you get lucky and score a CA, or you're rich and and can afford a VT) and especially in deact form.

I always wanted to have one of these seeing I reenact and enjoy the histoy of the vietnam war, and me having focused on 1967, using an M16A1 for that is pushing it a little bit, and even then, the XM16E1 can be seen all throughout Nam!

I've had my MGC for a while, picking up dust in my closet, so after much meditation, I decided to give it a go.

Things like this are particualrly stressing since you never know what will go wrong, and if it does, where to find spare parts and the likes, but I put my fears aside, and got to work.

I worked using a run of the mill set of hand files seeing I literally do not own any powertools, took me about a good 4 hours of work to get the fencing and the shape of the lower right, particularly of the area below the magazine release. Once I was done, I went-sanded the area to smooth it out and hide the bigger scratches before I went out and painted the whole thing.

MGC XM16E1 project! 9e0ae1db-100d-4673-b091-826ccb6c631f

Results were quite satisfying, even at this stage.

Before anything, I was also particularly stressed about the fragility of the plastic lower after modifying it, and to put my mind at peace, I went out and reinforced the inside with 2 part epoxy, as to prevent the thing from cracking and snapping in two. Either way I'm not quite planning on having it fire much, if any at all, more to own as a display/kit accessory, will certainly look awesome in pictures!

Once that was cured, I painted the whole thing with Fosco paint, including the upper, as well as giving the bolt carrier a chromed look, and made a little hole at the very back of the lower receiver, as to simulate the hole these guns would have, which would allow a rolled pin to be installed and hold the buffer tube detent in place. I didn't go too crazy on it as to not fragilize the lower.

Took me about two days, but the results speak for themselves:

MGC XM16E1 project! 45b55d10-3f29-44eb-a413-53b0b7d6267c

MGC XM16E1 project! Ded69083-012f-49b6-8242-171ee64d9f75

MGC XM16E1 project! 6bcd8ead-e16b-4d8c-a9cb-282c7488629b

MGC XM16E1 project! 04aa2b3e-8529-4aa7-8156-13d76a43cf94

Find it a little hard to believe that the thing is pretty much plastic, finish came out quite good. Will note that the stock on the gun is an original early D type stock and the dust cover is also a real one (both working and fitting more or less fine.

I had sent out the barrel to a buddy of mine as to get a new one machined (out of aluminium) seeing the original drooped in a way that made it look quite terrible, as well as making a new extractor for it since the original was quite dented and failed a bunch (gun was second hand!). May try something siilar with a Marushin at some point (If I can afford it), but we'll see about that.

I'll update this thread as time goes by, and hopefully have a finished build soon enough!

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
lcpltac

Number of posts : 10
Location / Country : Australia
Registration date : 2013-11-06

PostSubject: Re: MGC XM16E1 project!   MGC XM16E1 project! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 2:14 pm

Very nice, watching with interest.

Julen likes this post

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: MGC XM16E1 project!   MGC XM16E1 project! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 2:58 pm

This is a very nice project with great attention to details. I really like it.

Great handy work with the files, respect!

It would be very nice to see a picture of the color in daylight; I suppose it is looking greyish?

Did you add a three-prong-flash hider as well?

Have you been able to fix a real buttstock? I suppose a lot of modifications have been needed. The XM16 should have the early type without the trap door and the two part sling loop if I remember correctly.

Great idea to get a replacement aluminum barrel. I was always upset about the wobbly more-part barrel assembly MGC has used.

Make sure to use it with a 20 rd magazine. 1967 30 rd magazines were not available for troops in general.

Please keep us updated.

Julen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Julen

PostSubject: Re: MGC XM16E1 project!   MGC XM16E1 project! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 3:10 pm

MadMike wrote:
This is a very nice project with great attention to details. I really like it.

Great handy work with the files, respect!

It would be very nice to see a picture of the color in daylight; I suppose it is looking greyish?

Did you add a three-prong-flash hider as well?

Have you been able to fix a real buttstock? I suppose a lot of modifications have been needed. The XM16 should have the early type without the trap door and the two part sling loop if I remember correctly.

Great idea to get a replacement aluminum barrel. I was always upset about the wobbly more-part barrel assembly MGC has used.

Make sure to use it with a 20 rd magazine. 1967 30 rd magazines were not available for troops in general.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks dude!

Paint does have a grey, blue undertone look to it, pretty close to the XM grey of the time:

MGC XM16E1 project! F8ffd23c-0af0-43fb-9a38-741bef1d9471

With regards to the FH, I do plan to slap a three prong in there and potentially keep the birdcage for use late war, just in case.

Fitting a buttstock was pretty easy, didn't have to modify anything on the gun itself, add some padding on the lug that locks the stock onto the lower and that's about it.

The D style stock was the main stock used in nam, it being the non-trapdoor style. The later E type stock came out in the 1972 revision of the M16A1, and I've literally never seen a singular picture of those being used in-country, even the M16A1 was adopted using the non-trapdoor style (contrary to popular belief).

Never owned a 30 rounder yet and not really planning to, seeing they were also a relatively rare sight until fairly late war.

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: MGC XM16E1 project!   MGC XM16E1 project! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 3:22 pm

Excellent!

The color looks just fine.

And you are totally right on the stock, spot on!

A great project!

Julen likes this post

Back to top Go down
Julen

PostSubject: Re: MGC XM16E1 project!   MGC XM16E1 project! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2021 3:30 pm

MadMike wrote:
Excellent!

A great project!

Thanks pal! I really can't wait to get it sorted
Back to top Go down
mikey.45

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-07-16

PostSubject: Re: MGC XM16E1 project!   MGC XM16E1 project! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2021 12:43 pm

Julen wrote:
MadMike wrote:
Excellent!

A great project!

Is that the German Field Grey colour in the Fosco range ??

I want to paint an A1 myself !!

Thanks

Mike
Back to top Go down
Julen

PostSubject: Re: MGC XM16E1 project!   MGC XM16E1 project! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2021 12:50 pm

mikey.45 wrote:
Julen wrote:
MadMike wrote:
Excellent!

A great project!

Is that the German Field Grey colour in the Fosco range ??

I want to paint an A1 myself !!

Thanks

Mike

Pretty much! The Fosco paint I used is: COLOR: WH. Grau Blau. Came out pretty good, and would recommend grau blau over panzer grau, seeing the latter is a bit too light for my liking
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC XM16E1 project!   MGC XM16E1 project! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC XM16E1 project!
Page 1 of 1