MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin / Hobby Fix Gold plated guns...real Gold??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Zartan

Number of posts : 51
Location / Country : Vancouver, Canada
Registration date : 2010-11-17

Marushin / Hobby Fix Gold plated guns...real Gold?? Empty
PostSubject: Marushin / Hobby Fix Gold plated guns...real Gold??   Marushin / Hobby Fix Gold plated guns...real Gold?? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2021 9:33 am

Hi,

I have searched the web on this and can't find whether or not these gold guns are in fact plated with real gold. I have seen a post on here where someone buffed off the gold and re-blued/blacked a Marushin m712...so I figured why would they do that if it was real gold.
I know a guy selling these and is asking high prices and states that they are marked 22k and that they are real gold.

Now the Hobby Fix 1911 box states "22k gold plated" right on the front. Anyone know if that is correct and if the Marushin ones are?

Some pictures of the guns in question, a Marushin 8inch artillery Luger, Mauser m712 and a Hobby Fix 1911:

https://app.photobucket.com/u/drywar/a/0952a18b-d55c-46ca-87ac-cc48f05ea461
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Marushin / Hobby Fix Gold plated guns...real Gold??   Marushin / Hobby Fix Gold plated guns...real Gold?? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2021 10:57 am

Hi Zartan,

As far as I am aware, Marushin and other manufacturers do not use real gold to plate their metal handgun models. I seem to remember seeing an article quite awhile ago explaining what the finish was, but I can't recall the details.
If, however, Hobby Fix state that they use 22k gold then we must assume that they do!

Japanese laws and regulations made it necessary for metal pistols / revolvers to be plated a gold colour identifying them as replica models.

A video I saw recently on youtube showed an old metal modelgun being restored to as new gold colour using liquid chemicals. The commentary & text was Japanese which I don't understand unfortunately.

Owners tend to remove the gold effect to expose the bright silver coloured plating beneath to make the model look more realistic. I removed the gold effect from a Marushin Auto Mag very easily by using Brasso and a soft cloth.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.

SunHill999 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Marushin / Hobby Fix Gold plated guns...real Gold??   Marushin / Hobby Fix Gold plated guns...real Gold?? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2021 11:41 am

Hi,

Marushin = isn't Gold, possibly Zinc chromate
HobbyFix = don't know

8ace
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marushin / Hobby Fix Gold plated guns...real Gold??   Marushin / Hobby Fix Gold plated guns...real Gold?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marushin / Hobby Fix Gold plated guns...real Gold??
Page 1 of 1