MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

fitting real mags

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Punisher
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 111
Location / Country : usa
Registration date : 2017-07-28

fitting real mags Empty
PostSubject: fitting real mags   fitting real mags Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2021 1:35 am

I picked up a few mags and a drum for my Thompson. There are a few different versions of real Thompson and mags aren't always compatible. It's usually just a difference in the locking hole location.

My factory MGC mag is loose. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be like that or the slot just wore bigger.

I have a mag made by Auto Ordinance. It fits the lower, but is very tight. The receiver is slightly forward of the lower and the mag can't go all the way in.

I have a mag made by Seymore Products. That mag fits better than the factory MCG. Since the hole is lower it won't lock in.

I have a reproduction type "L" drum. It fits, but wobbles quite a bit. The bolt can't go through.

paddyfritz likes this post

Back to top Go down
Punisher
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

fitting real mags Empty
PostSubject: Re: fitting real mags   fitting real mags Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2021 1:37 am

I was able to easily modify the Seymore mag to work. The top rear of the MGC mag is slightly rounded to clear the receiver. Just round the rear of the Seymore mag until it slides all the way up. It shouldn't touch the receiver. The roll pin in the slot sets the upper limit.

The hole in the back needs to be extended upwards. The top of the hole should be about 26mm. Cut a little at a time and check the fit.
fitting real mags Rsz_p_17
fitting real mags Rsz_p_16
fitting real mags Rsz_p_15

Back to top Go down
Punisher
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

fitting real mags Empty
PostSubject: Re: fitting real mags   fitting real mags Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2021 1:41 am

To fix the wobble on the drum I welded on a plate at the front and rear. I cut the plate from 14ga electrical box cover. It was soaked in vinegar for a few days to remove the galvanizing.

For the front I used a piece 2"x1/2". I beveled the to side that faced the drum so that it would clear the radius of the bracket. For the rear I used a piece 2"x3/4".

They were welded on with small tacks. The edges were beveled so the drum would slide in without catching the plates. A good epoxy would probably also work.

The rear of the drum needed to be opened up for the bolt to go through. I cut down to the bracket.

While still not a perfect fit the drum is now usable.
fitting real mags Rsz_1p11
fitting real mags Rsz_p_19
fitting real mags Rsz_p_18

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

fitting real mags Empty
PostSubject: Re: fitting real mags   fitting real mags Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2021 10:13 am

Thank you for posting this.

Real stick mags can be easily modified to bit both MGC and Hudson Thompsons but Drum mags aren't often mentioned possibly due to the fact real drums are expensive and pretty scarce in the UK at least.
The idea of having a working 50 rd drum is very appealing.
Please keep us posted with progress. I would really like to see a 50 rd drum being fired in a MGC model.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
cushy1944
cushy1944

Number of posts : 25
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2022-05-23

fitting real mags Empty
PostSubject: Re: fitting real mags   fitting real mags Icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2022 7:19 pm

Has anyone ever managed to get a 50 round drum to work?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

fitting real mags Empty
PostSubject: Re: fitting real mags   fitting real mags Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2022 11:53 am

Hi cushy,

Some time ago, John at PFCGUK offered genuine 50rd drums which he'd modified to fit and work in MGC Thompsons. They were expensive, about £200 if I remember correctly as they are rare. I don't know how well they operated though.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

fitting real mags Empty
PostSubject: Re: fitting real mags   fitting real mags Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

fitting real mags
Page 1 of 1