MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

barrel nut repair

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Punisher
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 111
Location / Country : usa
Registration date : 2017-07-28

barrel nut repair Empty
PostSubject: barrel nut repair   barrel nut repair Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2023 11:43 pm

I have a barrel nut that someone tried drilling out the roll pin.  The hole drilled was already the size for tapping for a 5/16" bolt, so I drilled it the rest of the way and tapped it.

The nut and 5/16" bolt were degreased and the nut threaded onto the trunnion. Some Loctite 609 retaining compound was applied to the bolt. It was threaded in until it touched the trunnion threads then backed off slightly. Then the nut was removed and excess Loctite was removed from the trunnion.

After the Loctite was cured the bolt was cut close to the nut. It was filed down flush with the nut. Then a little sanding removed the file marks.

The repair is still visible, but looks much better. Some cold bluing makes it the same color. Though it's not a match for the original finish. It should be completely stripped then blued.

barrel nut repair Rsz_p_63
barrel nut repair Rsz_p_64
barrel nut repair Rsz_p_65
Back to top Go down
Punisher
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 111
Location / Country : usa
Registration date : 2017-07-28

barrel nut repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: barrel nut repair   barrel nut repair Icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2023 12:00 am

Next I wanted to fix the wrongly shaped front taper. After a few minutes of turning on my lathe that's fixed.

There was some damage to the flats from someone using a wrench. Using a diamond needle file I draw filed the flats. Just enough to remove the high stops. I stopped once the original finish was removed. Majority of the damage was removed.

A little sanding cleaned up the file marks and removed the rest of the finish. Then put on some cold blue and oil. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.
barrel nut repair Rsz_p_66

fjs62 likes this post

Back to top Go down

barrel nut repair
Page 1 of 1