MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Refinished Metal Mauser M712

Go down 
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Refinished Metal Mauser M712 Empty
PostSubject: Refinished Metal Mauser M712   Refinished Metal Mauser M712 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 6:46 pm

*** Originally posted by artemis ***

Two coats of Birchwood Casey’s Super Blue (Thanks Mark Very Happy ) and this is what the pistol looks like now. Not a professional job, but much better than the gold plating. I would say 6/10 in the looks department.

As this was a learning process, I have learnt that it is better to polish the pistol with fine steel wool prior to blueing. The parts that I managed to polish have a better finish and the blue has ingrained better on the metal than the parts that I did not.

Refinished Metal Mauser M712 Marushinm712afterbeechwoodcase.th

Refinished Metal Mauser M712 Marushinm712afterbeechwoodcase.th
It’s been 3 days since I finished the blueing and I have fired a few dozen caps through the pistol Very Happy The finish is already fading on certain parts, mainly around the sharp edges and contours of the pistol; the trigger, around the bolt , ejection port etc. I wouldn’t call this a minus altogether as it actually gives the pistol an aged, used look. I could always do another coating of blue if needed, but prefer it the way it looks now.

Firing the pistol is good fun, but I have encountered a problem with the semi/auto mechanism :? . I have posted a separate thread on it on the 'Problem 'page.

Krish
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Refinished Metal Mauser M712   Refinished Metal Mauser M712 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 6:47 pm

*** Originally posted by claymore ***

That looks pretty damn good and i will now do mine the same when i get time. How did you apply the super blue, cotton wool or airbrush.

One other thing, i had a problem with mine the other day as it would not load a round the bolt was getting stuck. When i took it apart the right side of the bolt where the rubber buffer is was burred, i filed this down and the gun worked great.
Just to let you know if after a few more rounds you get the same problem, i still have not found out what causes the burring though.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Refinished Metal Mauser M712   Refinished Metal Mauser M712 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 6:47 pm

*** Originally posted by artemis ***

Mark, I applied the blue using a 1/2" wide paint brush. Unlike paint, the blue does not leave any streak marks on the metal as it does not have any grains on it like wood. This advice was given to me by my gunsmith from whom I bought the blue from. The entire process took me less than 2 hours.

Well, I have just tried your advice regarding Nos.10 & 23, but it still fires on full auto Maybe, it's time I stripped the entire gun..
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: Refinished Metal Mauser M712   Refinished Metal Mauser M712 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 6:48 pm

*** Originally posted by claymore ***

MMM! strange, it took me ages to figure out the problem and there is nothing else that i can see that would cause the trouble. When you put the trigger mechanism back in place make sure the spring does not move and the spring is defiantly sitting at the rear of part 10, push part 10 forward (towards the hammer) and the spring goes at he back of 10.
I am sure you have done all that but the momnet i got the spring in the right place the problem was solved and there is really nothing else that can be put back in the wrong place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Refinished Metal Mauser M712   Refinished Metal Mauser M712 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Refinished Metal Mauser M712
Page 1 of 1