MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Hudson NAMBU - old version

Go down 
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

My Hudson NAMBU - old version Empty
PostSubject: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 pm

*** Originally posted by reemo ***

Hi Guys!
I know I have spoken about my paint jobs on model guns - I promised photos at some point.

Here is some of my original release HUDSON Nambu - it is an older gun, perhaps 30-40 years old. The barrel is open - 2 vent holes total; running above and below the detonator pin.

I bought it in original shape - all there, but the finish was very worn (98% of these turn up in the same rough condition.).

I stripped it down to the basic parts - bathed them in prep-sol and other cleaners made for zinc - and airbrushed with my old favorite, HUMBROL enamels (of England).

The color is a blend meant to mimic cold steel. (Gun metal was the base).
I wish I had step by step photos, but I just broke out the airbrush on a whim and before I knew it, I was done! I hadnt even planned to paint the gun that evening!!

SPECIAL THANKS to Francky for helping me with this project - he located the wooden replacement grips (Originals were plastic).......definitely added a bit of realism to the gun.....By The Way.......this gun is sooooooo heavy. Even unloaded.

Let me know what you think.....

My Hudson NAMBU - old version Nambu1

My Hudson NAMBU - old version Nambu2

My Hudson NAMBU - old version Beforeafter
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 pm

*** Originally posted by allenb ***

Thats a quality job Reemo, nice one!

What airbrush kit do you use?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:22 pm

*** Originally posted by lampwick ***

You sadistic bugger!! You KNOW that I am desperate for one of these and here you flaunt it!! If you get tired of it I have many full metal guns for swaps!!
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:23 pm

*** Originally posted by banjoe ***

Looks great Reemo! Isn't it a rewarding feeling to refinish something. I love to take an old worn item and make it new again. Excellent job.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:23 pm

*** Originally posted by rizzo ***

That's fantastic! Nice job. Does it glint like metal in the light?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

*** Originally posted by claymore ***

Excellent job, its good to see the finish humbrol paints give as they are esay to get hold off. Again very nice job.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:24 pm

*** Originally posted by reemo ***

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the kind words....much appreciated!

John......
I Just got home from the gun show in my town - I took your advice and picked up a nice repro holster - I'll add photos tonight

allenb....
I used an IWATA Revolution BCR (Gravity feed)....I found it on sale at DIXIEART.COM for just $62.00 shipped (!!)...I have owned many airbrushes, this one is as good as any I have used (at any price). EFFICIENT use of paint, great atomization, a anap to clean.

lampwick..
LOL! Im sorry man - I did not know you were after one - everything is for sale or trade eventually. Im sure we can work something out down the road.

banjoe.......
You bet!! Feels so good to bring something back.....the original owner was a Japanese WW2 collector who had this for decades in a drawer! Just sitting there, rotting away. Its very relaxing for me to build/repair guns.

Rizzo....
Yes sir! It definitely does reflect light.....tough to photograph, there is a nice glint in that first pick where the barrel meets the receiver....in fact the barrel looks most real in person. Looks like real steel...nice metallic sheen.

Claymore....
Yep, HUMBROL paints again.....you guys being from the UK will have an exceptionally easy time picking up some tins of this paint - its made in England.

Works great on metal, plastic, wood - anything. Just be sure you spend time cleaning the metal surface (remove grease/oil/wax/soap).....if you must prime use a clear like KRYLON "Crystal clear" or regular BLACK automotive primer..........will seal the metal and provide extra adhesion for the Humbrol
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:24 pm

*** Originally posted by illuminati ***

oh yes im sure we all know humbrol paints, many an hour spent going mad over painting them godamn airfix kits etc
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

lampwick..
LOL! Im sorry man - I did not know you were after one - everything is for sale or trade eventually. Im sure we can work something out down the road.

You realize that this constitutes a contract!!!!!
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:25 pm

*** Originally posted by spencerman ***

If you are after one Lampwick, I believe that they have some here http://www.modelguncollector.co.uk/index_slp.html or I also believe that Francky can get them.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:25 pm

*** Originally posted by illuminati ***

Very nice finish btw, id never of expected that from simple paint! But, i have to say, its another of those "most ugly gun award" winners
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

*** Originally posted by spencerman ***

The Nambu is function before beauty. Any gun enthusiast should know that. It does look like a nice finish, but how does it hold up? Does the grip wear where you hold it?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:26 pm

*** Originally posted by rizzo ***

Hi Spencerman

Finish holds up just as good as any. If properly prepped. Lacquer is your friend - cutting the Humbrol with Lacquer thinner for the airbrush and priming with lacquer based products really bites into the metal. Holds up GREAT even on high wear areas like the grip and trigger.

This is a metallic finish so I was unable to clearcoat it - if I had cleared it, the metallic sheen effect would be lost. So this one is handled carefully as a display piece only......with clear on it (KRYLON crystal clear sprayed through an airbrush) the finish is almost indestructible.

Here are some pics of the NAMBU clamshell holster I picked up this morning at the show - the best 35.00 I ever spent!!!

My Hudson NAMBU - old version Holster

Even had arsenal markings (proofs) on it - nice repro.

My Hudson NAMBU - old version Nambumarkings

And the last pic - snug as a bug in the new holster!

My Hudson NAMBU - old version Nambuinhol
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:27 pm

Here's my Nambu to show how near to the real thing the Hudson is.

My Hudson NAMBU - old version H1

My Hudson NAMBU - old version H2

My Hudson NAMBU - old version H3

My Hudson NAMBU - old version H4

My Hudson NAMBU - old version H5

I'm still after the Hudson Reemo. Give me first refusal when you come to sell it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Hudson NAMBU - old version   My Hudson NAMBU - old version Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Hudson NAMBU - old version
Page 1 of 1