MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Empty
PostSubject: Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???   Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:02 pm

Post by 2Sharp

Ok, another in my series of "how do i care for my new modelguns" Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_smile

I just got a Hudson STEN delivered, feels very, very solid and heavy and nice Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_smile

It is supposed to be an older, front venting model.

I'm not very knowledgable about different versions etc.

So, anything i need to know, anything you can share would be much appreciated Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_smile

The holy quest for modelgun information and knowledge will never-ever end!!
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???   Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Post by Mark

As far as i know, Hudson only made two versions of the ubiquitous Sten gun. The early and the late versions. The early front venting guns have a far different barrel/shroud/bolt/chamber/ejector/receiver/detonator as well as cartridges. Compared to the newer "CP" styled Hudson Stens. Be very careful handling your early/late Hudson Stens guys! As their cast zinc receivers will shatter/crack if dropped etc. I have an early Hudson Sten receiver that is in 5 pieces! I am not sure what originally happened to it but, it illustrates the fact that they can be fragile. Anyway, the early cartridges that Hudson uses for these early guns are practically useless. As their piston design is a fairly heavy mild steel piston that uses a special plastic O-ring that Hudson supplied with the gun. These plastic O-rings are hard to find now a days and they are usually missing.

Anyway, the cartridges rarely achieve a good gas seal due to the plastic O-ring being semi flexible. I tried the original Hudson cartridges in my Hudson "Madsen" and it didn't work even with the original plastic O-rings in place. Parts for the early guns can be hard to find especially for the Hudson made modelguns.

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???   Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Post by 2Sharp

Ok Mark, thank you Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_smile

This will be display only, it is too cool to break!

I was very much surprised on how solid it felt.

The STEN is a waay cool smg....

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???   Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:04 pm

Hi 2sharp!

The STEN really is a cool gun isn't it? Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_biggrin For such a simple design and what could almost be described as ugly even, its such an effective and efficient little machine it really is a thing of beauty.

You may have guessed I like mine!

Is it possible to convert the older Hudson STEN to fire c.p. cartridges? It's such a pity not to fire it especially if it could be made to perform as well as MGCUKs steel one.
Is Claymore's review on the old or new Hudson STEN? That fires well as I recall...

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???   Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:04 pm

Post by 2Sharp

Just checked Claymores review, kinda lame i didn't search after it.. Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_redface

His STEN seems to be the newer version, very nice review and very cool video Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_smile

I do think i need to fire this one... Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???   Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:05 pm

It is a superb review isn't it?

I don't know if it is possible to convert the old style to the later c.p. carts but someone here will know I'll bet!

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???   Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:05 pm

Post by Claymore

i have not fired my sten in ages so i cant remember any hints that might be applicable (god i am getting old cant remember anything) i have an old and new type and the old can fire the new cp rounds, as i bought it already adapted i think it is a simple matter of adjusting the det pin.
one problem with the sten as mark says its fragile the first thing that went on me are the retaining slots in the rear of the receiver, when you put the end cap on you twist to lock into place, well on both my models these retaining slots broke in seconds so nothing hold the end cap in place apart from the stock. its not a problem and does not effect the model but when stripping it beware if the slots break then the spring will shoot out if you are not prepared.
both my models have fired fine and with the new hudson round with the hole in the piston which suprised me. dont think i have had any problems but then i have not fired them for over a year maybe 2.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???   Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:06 pm

Post by Doc

Hudson Stens ...

older Bolts can break in half quite easily (had this happen twice )

I seem to remember reading on here about someones receiver snapping into two bits also . Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_eek

Id not drop it thats for sure Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_wink

DOC

.... well anything mechanical that can kill people is interesting ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???   Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:06 pm

The steel MGCUK STEN doesn't have anything holding the end cap in the receiver other than the stock and that fires and functions brilliantly so losing those retaining slots shouldn't pose any problems should it?

As Claymore points out though, if the stock's removed without precaution the end cap and recoil spring can shoot out the back of that receiver like a bullet!
Don't do it in front of the TV Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_eek

Will the Hudson STEN accept real STEN magazines? I ask because real mags are very inexpensive compared to Hudsons model mags.

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???   Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:07 pm

Post by Mark

Unfortunately, the Hudson STEN's magazine well is smaller that the actual STEN's housing. So, the Hudson magazine must be used. Yes, the recoil spring(s) on all of our modelguns must never be pointed towards our faces/TV's our monitors or anything fragile.

My favorite STEN in my possession is my CMC STEN which of course, is all steel it does accept real STEN gun magazines and it does have the recoil spring cap retaining slots in it's tube. The only issue that i have with it is the front sight placement isn't correct.

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???   Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks??? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hudson STEN... Tips & Tricks???
Page 1 of 1