MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Empty
PostSubject: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 10:00 am

History
Pietro Beretta company has introduced Series 80 pistols starting in 1976. Initial group was 81, 82 and 84, with 85 added later. Models 81 and 82 were chambered for 7.62x17mm Browning cartridge (.32ACP), 84 and 85 for 9x17mm Browning Short (.380ACP). Models 81 and 84 had double-stack magazine (respectively 12 and 13 rounds), while 82 and 85 had a thinner grip and 8-round magazines.
The next models in series were 87 and 89 (rim-fire target version) and 86 (85 with an interesting, hinged barrel). Whole series had some upgrades, including "FS" versions with a new trigger guard shape: original had a rounded, FS squared front (finger rest).

Commercial name of the series is "Cheetah".

Wikipedia information about series 80:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_Cheetah

More information:
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg108-e.htm

Modelgun
Beretta guns are very popular among replica makers. Majority of these are 90 series, but 80s are also represented fairly well. There is a Western Arms 84FS (ABS, airsoft GBB), Cybergun 84 (metal, airsoft CO2), as well as Marushin 84 (ABS, cap-firing) and WaShan 84 (metal, cap-firing). One of forum members has converted an airsoft M84 (Western Arms) to PFC using Marushin elements, check it here:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-videos-f2/wa-m84f-remodeling-modelgun-t1289.htm

I always liked these small pistols. I was also intrigued by WaShan modelguns after reading about them here. When an occasion came up, I did not hesitate long and got a WaShan 84, silver version, from a forum member.

Box
WaShan packaged their Beretta M84 in a cardboard box with a flip-up flap. Box is marked "FS-9708M M84" at three sides (front/left/right) and much more text at the top, including "Pietro Beretta M84" and "TLASTIC MODEL GUN". There is also corresponding text in Chinese (or Taiwanese) and a logo. "FS-9708M" is probably part number ID, and it has a hand-drawn "S" marked next to it. This signifies all-silver version, as there is also a two-tone version (and probably all-black as well). Box also has white circle stickers of unknown function at top and front.

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 00-box10

Inside you should find a styrofoam cutout with modelgun and magazine, cartridges (I think originally there are 5 WaShan ones) and cartridge loading tool. On top of all of that there is a leaflet - pretty good instructions with pictures.
For manual please refer to:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-instructions-f10/wa-shan-beretta-m84-manual-t1907.htm

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 01-box10

Modelgun
M84 is a surprisingly small replica, but it fits hand very well thanks to its double-stack magazine that makes the grip fairly thick.

When you pick up the model from box, you will immediately notice that it is pleasantly heavy. Weight is a huge advantage of full-metal replicas and reason that I truly like this WaShan model. People used to airsoft and modelgun ABS replicas also comment positively on how heavy this one is.

Frame and slide are metal and silver. Trigger, hammer, rear sight, slide lock, safety, extractor, trigger bar and take-down lever are also metal, painted black.

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 10-lef11
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 20-rig10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 31-mod11
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 32-cha10

Metal parts have a varying finish. Most external surfaces are flat and smooth with nice finish to it. Several places have a more rough finish, especially inside of the trigger guard, and slide at the bottom near muzzle.

Slide is marked on the left with text "PIE TRO BERETTA GARDONEVTCAL. 9short.". It also has a red dot painted under safety to show firing position. Right side is marked with "FS-9708" and a small WaShan logo: mountain with "FS TOYS" text. It is obvious that markings are not 100% correct. Left side should read "PIETRO BERETTA GARDONE V.T.", with a serial number below on frame. Slide is serrated near the back to facilitate pulling it back, in a typical fashion seen on other pistols too.

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 12-det10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 21-det10

Front sight is shaped from the slide, rear one is external part installed in it. Top of slide is open, displaying barrel, like in larger Beretta 92 pistol or Walther P38. Extractor can be found on the right side. Hole for pivot pin for the extractor can be seen at the top of the slide.

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 11-det10

Frame is typical for a pistol, no surprises here. There is magazine catch release button near trigger guard, slide lock lever above it, take down lever on the right side above trigger guard. Trigger bar runs outside the frame on the right side, like in P-38 or Beretta 92. There is a safety lever near the back of frame/slide. Safety locks regardless of hammer position because this is a double-action pistol.

Grip panels are black and metal, they are marked "P.BERETTA" with original logo, but they are not the same as original ones. They are held to the frame with two black screws each. There are/were washers under the screws, but some are missing - these are tiny and very easy to lose while removing grips.

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 13-det10

Magazine
Magazine for M84 is double-stack, with 13-round capacity (although I would not recommend loading it full of cartridges due to spring strength). It is metal, painted black, and it has a nicely shaped bottom plate. Mag follower is made from different metal.

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Mag10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Magtop10

Cartridges
WaShan supplies their own cartridges with this replica. Apparently Marushin M84 cartridges can also be used in this replica. As far as I can tell, the difference between these two is shape of the head, and o-ring around piston. Internals are very similar, as WaShan based their design on Marushin PFC cartridges.

The first photo shows difference in head shape. I am not sure which one is which, as I have both types mixed... As Cerwyn pointed out the bottom one (with o-ring on piston) should be Marushin.
The second photo is internals - note an additional o-ring around one of pistons. Both carts have o-ring around the base, at the photo one o-ring is inside bottom part, the other stuck to base.
The third is Marushin box of M84 cartridges that should work ok with this model.

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 50-car10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 51-car10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 53-car10

Firing
After you go through usual chore of loading the cartridges with caps (they use 7mm caps), you would load cartridges to the magazine and magazine to the replica.

You need to rack the slide to introduce the first cartridge to the chamber.

M84 is double action replica, so you can shoot with hammer cocked, or not cocked, as long as a cartridge is in the chamber.

Firing action is nice :-) Cartridges fly to the right, sparks and smoke can easily get outside as the barrel is not only short, but also (partially) open. Sound of metal moving and clanking on metal is something you won't find on an ABS or HW modelgun :-)

After shooting remember to clean replica and cartridges.

Problems
There is nothing really wrong with this model :-)
Nit-picking starts here. I have already noted some slight finish issues inside trigger guard, but a bit of polishing (careful not scratch other parts) takes care of that. Slide does not always lock after the last shot, but it quite frequent with modelguns. As this modelgun is made of metal, and in some places (due to different metal type) it corrodes more easily than plastic. One of grips on my M84 shifts a bit due too large tolerance, but it is easily fixed. Spare parts availability could be an issue, as WaShan is not that much available outside of Taiwan (yet?).

Basic disassembly
WaShan Beretta M84 disassembles like the real gun:
  • remove magazine
  • make sure chamber is empty
  • push pin of take down lever from the left side, then flip lever itself down
  • remove slide to the front
  • put away frame
  • remove return spring and spring guide from the slide
  • remove barrel from the slide

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 33-dis10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 34-ins10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 35-ham10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 40-sli10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 41-sli10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 43-sli10

Now it's cleaning time. Make sure to clean frame (slide rails, hammer area, magwell area), as well as slide (especially breach block). Take time to clean the barrel, pieces of punctured caps like to gather here. As far as I could check it is NOT POSSIBLE to remove detonator pin, even if manual shows that it can be unscrewed and removed.
The next thing to clean is magazine: lips, follower and area around the top can have cap residue deposit. Now for the cartridges...

Dry everything. Most parts are not steel, so they don't rust, but mag follower, detonator pin and chamber, ejector and breach block like to develop some reaction that changes their surface (it's visible at the photos).

Put everything back together. There is no hidden surprises as far as I know, just follow the opposite order.

The following pictures show barrel details - marking with (serial?) number (normally hidden by the slide), chamber with detonator pin, sealed exit part - not very visible from outside, unlike some Japanese metal models (M712).
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 42-bar10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 44-cha10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 45-bar10

Slide disassembly
For those of you who would like to dissassemble even more, it is possible to remove extractor claw from the slide (push out its pin, remove). Picture 3) from instructions shows how to do that:
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 95-dis10

Breach block is held in place by a screw that goes through slide into rear sight. If I remember correctly it can be unscrewed and removed, too.

Overall
WaShan Beretta M84 is a very nice modelgun. Full metal, heavy, well made, works satisfyingly well. It is worth having just to see a WaShan manufactured replica, or e metal replica. Overall it is the opposite to Marushin Browning ABS - light and fairly unrealistic.
I can definitely recommend this model for its huge fun factor :-)

(edit: added pictures, corrected some details || added info about wataru conversion || clarified cartridge difference based on Cerwyn's info || corrected info about grips || added magazine photos)

Last edited by smootik on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11077
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 10:22 am

Another superb Review smootik, thank you again Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_biggrin

Looking forwards to seeing the series of photos now, a really informative review Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_biggrin

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 1:07 pm

I had the text ready for some time, but now I thought that if I post it already, there will be more pressure to take pictures and add them ;-)

EDIT:
Pictures added to the review.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11077
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 5:09 pm

Your photos were well worth waiting for smootik Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_biggrin , a really superb review, Thank You Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_exclaim

I've taken the liberty of adding a link to it into the Stripping & Cleaning Guides category too. It's a really good Guide Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_biggrin

I'd guess that the lower of the cartridges you photographed is the Marushin version. Their M9 cartridge design has an 0-ring fitted around the washer that's placed into the cartridge before the cap.
WaShan use a solid, ungrooved washer in their version.

Your photos are superb, I think I should be asking Santa for a new camera Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 5:38 pm

Cerwyn - thanks for kind words, and for clarifications about cartridges :-)

As for the photos I believe it is more a matter of knowing how to work around camera limitation, but don't let that statement stop you from talking with Santa ;-)

I will try to put together description how I take my pictures and post it. Camera I use is fairly old (over 5 years) but still works well :-) Apart from selected photos I upload here, the same shooting session has many blurred, too dark, too light etc - it is all a matter of experimenting and finding proper combination of settings and environement.

Meanwhile I found these posts:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-general-discussion-f1/taking-better-photographs-t741.htm
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-problems-f5/marushin-browning-hi-power-hw-t1493.htm#11015
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 7:05 am

OK...let me clarify something...

1) "FS-9708M" is Wa Shan's reference number to this silver M84 (for example the ref. no for their M1934 is "FS-0623");

2) Yes black version available (I got the black one well before the silver one and I reckon the finish of the silver one is better: dots of the black paint faded off making the gun looks like been covered with dandruff);

3) Only black and silver are available from Wa Shan so the 2-tone version are the work of certain retailer simply interchanging the parts;

4) The white sticker indicates what's inside the box is a silver M84 (and black sticker for the box of my black M84);

5) Irrelevant to the guns - Taiwanese is the same as Chinese...only because Taiwan wants independence so they choose one of the Chinese dialects (Fujian dialect) and Taiwan named it as "Taiwanese";

6)
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) 42-bar10

This is the patent number - strange Wa Shan is doing this when this is ironically just a metal Marushin copycat (or maybe this is actually the patent of the way they partially block the bore)...

Overall excellent review smootik: maybe you would like to double check the material of the grips (which you stated as plastic) - until now all of my Wa Shan guns come with metal grips...

And don't you just hate the copper colour rust inside all of the Wa Shan guns...?

Last edited by jim on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 9:23 am

Thank you for additional information :-)

Fully agree for the rust - it is very different to metal models by other makers. In this model it is mag follower, loading ramp and top of frame (between ejector and hammer) that are worst, it is visible in photos. I will check the grips, but I was always convinced (touch and feel) that mine are plastic.

PS: found three more Wa Shan reference numbers:
FS-9606 Glock 17
FS-9910 SIG P220
FS-9911 Beretta M9 (Dolphin)
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 5:19 am

Then consider yourself lucky smootik since I'm after a couple of new plastic M84 grips at the moment (not the Cheetah version)...

For my silver M84 - I got it from the Wa Shan shop in Taipei because it was out-of-stock in HK before (I think I'll get one more next time when I visit Taipei as well as the Taiwanese version KSC MP7A1 SMG (airsoft) - hopefully in the near future)

And one more note - I don't have the red dots on both of my M84 (have to paint it myself)...
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 10:47 am

jim wrote:
Then consider yourself lucky smootik
You were right from the beginning - my grips are metal (by weight and sound), just covered with black paint.

I have unscrewed the grips and paid more attention to them. I was convinced they were plastic until I held a grip separately.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 11:48 am

A few shots to give you idea about size: a standard DVD box (it fits almost exactly), and an airsoft Glock 17.

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) M84_si10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) M84_si11

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Glock310
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Glock410
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:25 am

No problem smootik...just keep this in mind: when the awesome Wa Shan can make the Glocks entirely in metal then how hard it'll be for them to make all the grips in metal (Wa Shan along with other Taiwanese toy gun makers were first established as metal casting factories before somehow switching to toy guns after the authorities untie their law).

I fitted with the Pachmayr rubber grips and I don't take it as a good fit...I shall fit it with Wa Shan's aftermarket wood grips...shall post the pic in a day or two...

By the way - loves this old M84 look (rounder shape on the back of the slide) and hates the Cheetah ("with an edge" - if I can describe it this way)...
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 9:30 am

Thank you for explanations, it is interesting to learn a bit more about WaShan factory.

For me also old look is much better than new one :-)
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 12:28 pm

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) M84Comparison

First - a Wa Shan fitted with Pachmayr grips & a Marushin fitted with Wa Shan's wood grips...

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) PachmayrGapatback
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Pachmayrgaponright

The 2 shots above indicated that modifications are vital to fit the Pachmayr grips to any modelgun M84 (be it Wa Shan or Marushin)...

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) WaShanGripleft
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) WaShanGripright

Close-ups of the wood grips...

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) M84SS-Woodleft
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) M84SS-Woodright

I strongly believe that Wa Shan should work harder to have all the small parts in silver as well (i.e. slide stop/trigger/screws on grips/magazine base plate (follower)/magazine release/rear sight/trigger bar/hammer/safety/dissembly lever) - sometimes it look like a Giant Panda...
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Nice and useful pictures, thank you :-)
Black model with wooden grips seems to look the best combination, but I like silver version too. I laughed hard when I realised that it really looks like a Panda Bear :-DDDD

Black paint could be removed from these parts mechanically (dremel with a polishing or metal brush bit), though it's nicer if manufacturer just made silver parts.

I have wondered about YT/WaShan name, it seems that sometime ago they have changed their name from WaShan (as we all know it) to Yun Tai Plaything. That's why Modelguns Worldwide list them as "Y.T.". This is their listing from "Taiwan Toy Manufacturers Association"
http://www.toybase.com.tw/tw/t76012.html
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:28 am

Yes you're right - the wood grips fit the black model better...and one more thing about the wood grips - after I fit it in I've difficulties pulling back the slide as the the grip on the right "pressed" hard on the trigger bar or something inside...

I'd thought of removing taking all the black parts out and removed the paint (have to be extremely careful otherwise the pot metal parts will be deformed (or even destroyed) by the paint removal chemical...also I think it's better to plate the parts in chrome before fitting it back (the weak pot metal I think will get oxidised or peel off in bits and pieces if without any coating).

From what I understand - "Hwa San" is the official brand name of the company in Mandarin (Taiwan) / "Wa Shan" is the reference for gun maniacs (me) in HK and abroad in Cantonese of Hong Kong - English skills of Taiwanese in general are relatively weak (Japan & Korea as well) so therefore they seldom joining English gun forums talking about their guns from their country (in contrast to fellow Chinese I'm a strong supporter of Taiwan's independence) / "Yun Tai" is the registered name of the mother company like what I said working on metal casting as well as other non-gun businesses...

Hopefully things will be clear by now Smile ...
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 4:00 pm

I got original Pachmayr grips (model 02485, B84 Signature w/backstrap) for this Beretta .

They fit pretty good:
- screw holes are in correct places.
- top is a bit tight, it seems to interfere with safety (need to check).
- at the back there are gaps (0.5mm) between metal frame and rubber grip due to different shapes of real gun and modelgun. Real gun has a wider back, and grips have a cutout there. Model has a thinner back, and grips are thicker.

Pictures will be posted at a later date.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Here is promised pictures of Pachmayr grips. Jim already posted some earlier.

The biggest problem is gap at the back. Safety moves easily up (safe position) and requires just a bit harder push down - there is a tiny bit of friction with rubber grip.

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Patch-10
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Patch-11
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Patch-12
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Patch-13
Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Patch-15
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 9:01 am

I can't pull the trigger smoothly since I replaced the original black metal grips (i.e. first this Pachmayr then Wa Shan's wood grips) - how about you?
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 2:19 pm

No such problem here with Pachmayr grips. Trigger works just as it did previously, both in single- and double-action. I did not do any modifications to make it work.

Part that might interfere with grips is on the right side, near the top - maybe my grips are not screwed as strongly as yours, or your hand pushes grips onto that part? Or the part is slightly thicker, maybe from more paint?

Here is some photos showing clearance in my grip:

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Grip-110

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Grip-310

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Grip-410

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Grip-210

Last edited by smootik on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added photos)
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks Man Very Happy - similar to yours I leave some gaps on the right...if I remembered correctly: I could pull the trigger DA but had difficulties pulling back the slide (trigger bar blocked by inside the grip)...the same for the Wa Shan wood grips so now DIY modifications needed...(I once reckoned the grips were made by Wa Shan themselves so they'll made it good fit - and I expected too much...)

I replaced the Pachmayr because apart from the strong rubber smell it attracted dust (also gripping becoming uncomfortably bulky)...
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 1:30 pm

We often expect too much from modelguns ;-)

Pachmayr makes M84 grip almost too bulky, indeed. It is a "fat" grip to begin with, as it contains double-stack within such a small gun. WaShan grips make it just right for my hand, while Pachmayr is that bit too much.

Interesting comment about rubber smell - mines (all 4 I have) did not smell at all, they had a sort of neutral smell to it.
Dust is another thing. I find that it likes to stick more to rubber (grip) and HW (frames/slides), while ABS parts are somewhat easier to keep clean. Probably the surface is smoother.
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 7:56 am

I don't usually have the rubber smell issue on rubber grips as well (I bought heaps from Smith & Wesson as well as others online) - so I suspected the Pachmayr M84 grips that I got had been improperly stored (e.g. under extreme heat/direct sunlight) before shipping (speculation only - no proof Sad )...

Now I've to see how to modify the wood grips (maybe to ground away the entire portion around the trigger bar area inside the grip ?) in order to have it function properly...finger-crossed...
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 3:05 pm

Did you manage to fit the grips? :-)
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 9:52 am

Unfortunately not yet Smootik (work is killing me as always)...I'll somehow seek online assiatance from you guys (e.g. how to file down the Wa Shan wood or Pachmayr's rubber to fit)... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)   Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wa Shan Beretta M84 (full metal)
Page 1 of 1