MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Empty
PostSubject: M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?   M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 12:27 am

I was recently thinking about various M-series assault rifles that are so popular, especially in airsoft.

I do not have any preference for real M4/M16 look (from movies for example).
To be honest they look almost the same to me ;-)
The following seem to be main choices for a modelgun:
- Marushin metal kit, M16 (longer) or XM177 (shorter), either self-build, or factory. Kit is cheap, but after building S&W Model 2 Army revolver (probably worst working model I've ever had) and M12S (stuck mid-way) I am not so keen on self-built version.
- MGC metal M4/M16/CAR-15/M733 configurations.

My expectations for a modelgun are not very complicated:
- fires well with caps, (casual use),
- easy to clean after firing (chamber and firing pin are accessible without too much complications),
- accurately replicates original controls (external),
- is solid to handle (metal ones usually are),
- not sure if I prefer full size style (M16) or shorter one (XM177).

I've read information available in forums, but still can't decide which one I would prefer when someday I decide to get it.
Help me :-)

PS: "get an AK" is not a valid answer for purpose of this question ;-)
If only someone else than Hudson made a working model...

(edit: grammar/spelling)

Last edited by smootik on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2555
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?   M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:04 am

Hmmm it's a tricky one scratch and I'm not sure there is a perfect answer No

I love the look and feel of the Marushin ones and it's great fun building it from a kit (even if some parts don't fit properly Rolling Eyes )

sadly they can take quite a bit to setup and fire well and also can stop behaving themselves very quickly.

The MGC ones have a reputation of firing better (but even these can have their problems) But I don't think they look as good as the Marushin ones No

I like the original Marushin M16A1 Very Happy and fitted with a grenade launcher is one of the best looking guns around bounce

I'm sure madmike would be able to give you loads of info on them as he is our resident M16 expert study

8ace
Back to top Go down
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

Number of posts : 234
Location / Country : Not so Great Britain
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?   M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:15 am

I`ve some experience on all of these and I have compiled a list to show the top scorers in each of your requirements. ( in my opinion )

Number one being the best.

fires well with caps :

1) MGC M16 ABS (everyone knows the reliability of this design)
2) MGC M16 Metal ( after its been modified )
3) Marushin M16 ( poor bolt design and poor cartridge design let this down, they can work ok for a while but wear quickly )

easy to clean after firing (chamber and firing pin are accessible without too much complications

1) MGC M16 Metal ( but only the early type with removable barrel )
2 ) Marushin M16 ( not complex but dull )
3 ) easy to clean however this involves unscrewing the large collared ring at the front and metal onto plastic thread will wear the plastic eventually

accurately replicates original controls (external),

1) Marushin M16 ( not a lot different from ABS M16 in detail but its metal man
2) MGC M16 ABS
3) MGC M16 Metal ( really nice finish but external detail not spot on and internals wronger than a wrong thing )

is solid to handle

1) MGC M16 Metal (hands down this is far more solid than any other )
2 ) Marushin M16 ( factory built kits are better than build yourself jobs )
3 ) MGC M16 ABS (its plastic and on the M16 there is indeed a long length for it to wobble.)

another category you may need to know

spare parts availability should the unthinkable happen ( or inevitability )

1) Marushin M16 ( still in production Francky or Shaz will be brilliant )
2 ) MGC M16 ABS ( still a few floating about but spares may be hard )
3 ) MGC M16 Metal production stopped a long time ago and certain parts ( bolt heads ) will be nigh impossible to find

I`ve mentioned the Metal M16 with removable barrel , this is because they are much more easily cleaned and are front venting , the later Metal M16s have a blocked chamber, fixed barrel and drop one point and are harder to clean.

If I was only allowed to buy one and based on some years of experience I would go for the early version of the Metal M16 , its solid , looks great, easy to clean and works well ( once its been modified to use modern cartidges )

Worth noting that UK spec early metal MGC M16s have a blocked (but removable) barrel but Japanese versions are removable and open.

hope this helps

DOC

Edit : for gods sake dont say they all look the same Madmike will blow a gasket Very Happy

Edit again ..I dont have a preference between M16 and XM models really although worth remembering the MGC CAR 15 has a fixed metal stock ( whereas the other two versions are ABS and move )
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?   M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 10:11 am

Thank you DOC! Information you provided in such a clear way helps a lot :-)

Metal MGC (early version, if obtainable) seems to be the best from a practical point of view (sturdy and fires well).
On the other hand Marushin is more accurate design, metal, cheaper, and with better availability.
I did not consider availability (and spares) initially, good that you brought it up.

MadMike will surely put me up to date on variants and variations, to complete the picture.
BTW: his review of ABS MGC M16 is here:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-reviews-f4/mgc-abs-cp-m16a1-m656-carbine-air-force-version-t309.htm

Additional questions:
- MGC M16 metal modifications to improve firing: aanything already posted? I searched forum, but could not find...
- Marushin M16 bolt issues: I guess there is no easy way to solve this, except getting replacement bolts.
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-general-discussion-f1/m16a1-bolt-upgrade-t603.htm
Back to top Go down
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

PostSubject: Re: M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?   M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 4:14 pm

MGC M16 to fire new carts

1) machine up a detonator to fit PFC cartridges
2) because the mags for these have a restriction in place it wont allow the full length of CP .223 cartridges so you can

a ) fit a later MGC mag ( in which case you need to modify the ejector plate for longer cartridges )
b ) make up some smaller cartidges ( either cutting down .223s or a combination of one cartridge front and another rear )

Marushin bolts... crap design and will wear out fast , my Marushin XM has a modified bolt that uses an MGC bolt head ...took some work but works well and has not worn out.

DOC
Back to top Go down
denisonsmock

Number of posts : 178
Location / Country : Taiwan
Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Re: M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?   M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:05 am

What is the longevity of these PFC M16/M4s if you went on a skirmish weekend? If anyone has gone on a skirmish weekend! I'm just curious.
Back to top Go down
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

PostSubject: Re: M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?   M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

For that then I`d only really recommend the metal MGC ones ...the same ones have been used in many film productions ( as discussed elsewhere ) and can take some abuse ...possibly Marushin ones as I know guys that use them in Vietnam re-enactment ...ABS M16s no way this goes double for HW. Very Happy

DOC
Back to top Go down
denisonsmock

Number of posts : 178
Location / Country : Taiwan
Registration date : 2009-04-13

PostSubject: Re: M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?   M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:30 am

I would think for big budget films films they would use real weapons and blanks? For low budget yeah I understand using model guns and use aftereffecs for post prodution.

I've seen the price for a metal M4 on model gun collector:
http://www.modelguncollector.co.uk/index_ar.html

On modelgunsuk they have this one:
http://www.modelguns-worldwide.com/xm177_cqb.htm

There's quite a few, but they're expensive. There is also the problem of parts. If something does go wrong, what are you gonna do? Are there spare parts readibly available? That's the reason I moved into airsoft.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?   M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:34 am

denisonsmock wrote:
I would think for big budget films films they would use real weapons and blanks?
Usually movie has many scenes where weapon is not fired, just carried around. It's safer to use a dummy or a modelgun for that. Also in crowd scenes it is perhaps easier to equip extras with dummies.

Side note: in Poland after WWII there were so many weapons left over from war, that real ones were used in many movies, until more strict controls were imposed by government.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?   M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 7:20 pm

As for the variant, I have looked at what is/was available from modelgun vendors.

The variant that (so far) looks most interesting for me is M16A1.
It it large, long, and simple in form, without distractions or too many details.
No-nonsense fixed stock.
It is perhaps the most available model, coming in metal from MGC and Marushin, as well as in plastic.

(disclaimer: if you are M16/M4 fan, please treat what I wrote as a layman's view only!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?   M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

M4/16 assault rifle, which one to choose?
Page 1 of 1