MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dry Fire my MGC M16???

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11083
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:40 am

Post by Phobus

Thanks for that Claymore and Cerwyn.

I am starting to think my rifle is a Marushin although there are no trades on it that gives the manufacturer that I acn see. Perhaps I am looking in thewrong place ?? The caps that came with it are Marushin 5 and 7 mm.

It has all the M16 trades and is full metal with a straight through barrel. It is very solid and heavy . I was surprised - never having held one before -how small & dinky this rifle is . Very practical and comfortable to hold though , like an MP5 .

The detail on this gun is amazing - perhaps you guys are used to that !! I am not !
The magazine base plate has : Colt logo COLT AR15 , cal 5.56mm. COLTS FIREARMS DIVISION , COLT INDUSTRIES , HARTFORD CONN , U.S.A.
-Could this be an original Colt magazine ?? - No - I just tried a 5.56 round and the nose of the bullet sticks out .

I have been cleaning it up this morning and can see that apart from cosmetic dings here and there it is very clean Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_lol
Next job is for me to clean up the carts which are VERY dirty .
I am hoping I can find some good info, on here on how best to do that .

Regards Carl.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:42 am

Post by Madmike

Hello Carl!

Yes, this is a MARUSHIN M16. Only Marushin maetal M16s have the full Colt trademarks. The early MGC all metal M16s have "M16 ASSAULT RIFLE" on the left and "MODELGUN CORPORATION. MGC. TOKYO JAPAN" on the right side of the lower receiver.

Nevertheless you have a fine modelgun, even better all spares are still available.

Regarding the MGC M16 modelguns bear in mind that only the early ones (untill early 1980s) are full metal ones. They were designed to fire so called paper caps, not the now common plug fire caps. Some of them can be converted to fire new MGC plug fire cap carts, changing the detonator and using new cp carts, but some can´t. There are also dummy models only out there, which can´t fire any caps. They were exported on a rather great scale to the USA and often used as prop guns in the background in movies like FULL METAL JACKET and the TV series TOUR OF DUTY.
MGC produced various ABS M16 guns and carbines in the late 80s, they could fire the later carts and were well detailed, but lightweight due to the ABS body.
MGC got bankrupt in the early 90s, but they started to produce modelguns under the logo "NewMGC" again. These later M16 guns are heavy weight plastic carbines like the M-725, the M4 Carbine and the short barreled M4 Comanndo. But they did not make a M16 style rifle with long barrel and solid stock. These latest models are highly detailed with full Colt markings. They are reliable when firing, but a real pain to strip down and clean. As far as I know NewMGC has stopped their production of M4/M-725 Carbines now.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:43 am

Post by Phobus

Thanks Madmike - I think that you are right and this is a Marushin M 16 . I was wondering if - from the details I gave - what the year of manufacture might be ??
You did mention early 80,s ??

Regards
Carl.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:43 am

Post by Mark

Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_exclaim Be aware that MGC did offer the all metal early M16 with the optional Colt markings through the "MGC BondShop" So, it could still be an MGC made modelgun. However, I am still under the impression that it is a Marushin made model.

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:44 am

Post by DOC

Phobus

how does the receiver come open at the back.

Is it a push out pin ( Marushin )

or is it a Hex/ allen Screw ( MGC )

Note : the ABS MGC had a push out pin

If Marushin then most of the early ones have a date stamp (like 9 84 ) , the later new run have "SMG" amongst the rest of the text

DOC

.... well anything mechanical that can kill people is interesting ...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:45 am

Post by Phobus

Many thanks Doc and Mark,
I am looking at left side of receiver - its a push pin which comes out quite easily with finger pressure.
There are numbers above the trigger 9 . 81 .
Below the model designation and calibre is the number 1621981 and SMG - ( sub machine gun ?? Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_confused )

The fire selector is not positive and could give me some problems - very sloppy on the semi auto setting - I wonder if I can repair it - Banjoe said parts are available for these ??

The handguards are poor & IMHO spoil an otherwise nice model - they are thin and tacky and plasticy , like a cheap airsoft .

I am still very pleased with it though
Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_wink

Carl.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:46 am

Post by Madmike

Okay, this is a MARUSHIN. It was made in September 1981, the serial number is the same on all Marushin M16A1s. "SMG" means safe metal gun, this stamp is required by Japanese laws. Plastic modelguns normally have a "SPG" - safe plastic gun on it.

It should be an early version with the heavier zinc carrier bolt then.

Well, the fire selector does not really stay in place well in the SEMI position. If it is really loose, a new fire selector may help as the small holes where the spring loaded pin goes in may be worn.

Be aware that MGC did offer the all metal early M16 with the optional Colt markings through the "MGC BondShop" So, it could still be an MGC made modelgun. However, I am still under the impression that it is a Marushin made model.

Thanks Mark! I didn´t know that. I have never seen one with these markings. Do you know if they were available in the US? I know that the COLT trade marks on the later MGC ABS M16s had to be removed, at least I have seen such modelguns.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:47 am

Phobus wrote:
Next job is for me to clean up the carts which are VERY dirty .
I am hoping I can find some good info, on here on how best to do that .
Regards Carl.
Hiya Carl,
there are several posts on the forum covering cleaning cartridges, I know coz I've posted a few myself Very Happy
How many have you got, is it just 20?
Reason I'm asking is that a small quantity won't warrant spending on cleanih machines so it'll be a slow rather tedious cleaning and scrubbing by hand I'm afraid.
If you can't find the cleaning and preparation posts Tell me and I'll give you as much as I know, ok?
Cerwyn
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:48 am

Post by Phobus

Thanks Cerwyn and Mike ,
Yes I have 20 carts with the rifle - they are very scruffy - I know the previous owner did not shoot the gun just kept it for display .
I had a look on the search but not found much yet as regards cleaning proceedures - I will try again soon.
I am patient , I don,t mind waiting to shoot it .
Besides , after reading the review of the Marushin on Arnies , I am scared something similar might happen to my gun Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_sad

After assembling the M 16 - I found a tiny spring and brass follower left in a little plastic bag - Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_sad
After a couple of EMAILS I figured where they go but the selector is still a bit sloppy . Well what should I expect ? Its 25 years old for chrissake!!

I did not get a loading tool for the carts - can you manage without them ? Or is it possible to improvise ??

Thanks CARL.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:50 am

Post by Mark

Carl,
The cartridges/gun can be cleaned efectively using a mixture of HOT water,vingar and baking soda (sodium Bicarbonate) and dry the gun as well as the cartridges throughly after cleaning it and spray a light oil on the small steel parts.
The loading tool easily subsituted with a pen or simular that fits into the cartridge case fairly tightly. (just under the caps outer diameter) the caps don't need to go into the cartridge case very far...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:51 am

Post by Phobus

Many thanks Mark,

Re: cartridge cleaning

I will give it a try - thanks.

Contacted modelguns today to ask about a loading tool and replacement handguards for the Marushin M16 . The ones I have do not fit properly and spoil an otherwise nice gun.

Regards CARL. Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_lol
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:51 am

Getting the outside of the cases clean is just a matter of polishing them up with metal polish, Brasso, Duraglit or similar. If you need something a little more abrasive to really buff them up use Solvol Autosol.
Wire wool will remove any green deposits if they're really scruffy.
Ceaning Inside is more important for proper function during firing.
Patience is the key here mate, you'll need something to poke inside the cases around which you can wrap some cloth or something. Get the inside as spotless as you can.
If you happen to have any Airsoft guns, you may have a cleaning rod that has what looks like the eye of a needle at one end? Push a bit of rag or something in the 'eye', wrap it around a turn or two then wipe and polish inside the case with that.
I've got a 'write up' loading procedure for Marushin MP40 rounds that are esentially the same as the M16 ones. I'll dig it out and post it on here. There are'nt any photo's unfortunately but if you read it whilst looking at the rounds its dead easy to follow.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:53 am

Post by Mark

MadMike wrote:
Be aware that MGC did offer the all metal early M16 with the optional Colt markings through the "MGC BondShop" So, it could still be an MGC made modelgun. However, I am still under the impression that it is a Marushin made model.
Thanks Mark! I didn´t know that. I have never seen one with these markings. Do you know if they were available in the US? I know that the COLT trade marks on the later MGC ABS M16s had to be removed, at least I have seen such modelguns.

The MGC custom shop (Bond Shop) M16 "Vietnam" with the proper markings where very limited models and I have only seen them in the 1978? MGC catalog that I have. I would suggest that this version is very rare and the option was expensive. I am sure that the main modelgun dealer in the U.S. "the collectors armory" didn't want to remove tons of "Colt" etc. markings in order to import thousands of these "toys" so, I rather doubt that I will ever see one of the Bond Shop real markings all metal early M16's here in the U.S.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:56 am

Post by Madmike

Adding a picture to this thread I found a pic of an early full metal MGC M16E1. It belongs to a friend and is the paper cap version with 11 old type carts, good overall condition and looks like unfired. Compared to the Marushin M16E1 it is really heavy.

Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 MGCM16E1-2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dry Fire my MGC M16???   Dry Fire my MGC M16??? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dry Fire my MGC M16???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next