MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Empty
PostSubject: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 1:20 pm

History

Mr Browning designed not only military and civil pistols, but also sporting ones. In 1917 he developed Colt Automatic Target Pistol, a .22 LR caliber pistol for target shooting. In 1927 "Woodsman" was added to the name. Pistol was manufactured until 1977, changing its appearance over the years. There were three main series. The original ran from 1917 until 1947, and it looked quite different from the modern ones. Long barrel was round, grip was angled, back of the slide looked similar to Colt .32. Second series lasted until 1955, introducing magazine release button behind trigger guard. The third series was manufactured until 1977, it relocated mag release back to bottom of the grip.

Every series had three models: Sport (4 1/2" round barrel), Target (6" round barrel) and finally Match Target with a distinct flat-sided barrel (4 1/2" or 6").

Plenty of information about these .22 Colts can be found there:
http://www.colt22.com/

Modelgun

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Img_cw16

I didn't even know that there is such pistol as Colt Woodsman, not to mention its modelgun. I've actually learned it through this forum, when one of members put up his model for sale. Puzzled by an unknown model I did some research and found that Colt Woodsman was surprisingly popular among modelgun makers!

It seems that this pistol was used by main hero in a Japanese manga "Wild 7", perhaps that's why it was picked up by modelgun industry?

MGC released Colt Woodsman as the first plastic cap modelgun. Actually it had to be initially released as paper-cap firing because of delay in production of the first plastic caps. There were ABS and HW versions of Match Target and Sports versions, with various barrel lengths. HW was released around 1990, when this material became very popular. Also cartridges have been redesigned from BLK to CP-HW system. There was also a limited release of "Heavy Barrel" version.

Marushin produced a metal version of Match Target (not cap-firing as far as I understand), and Kokusai did an ABS Match Target.

MGC's ABS version was available as a factory-made or kit. It was also exported and sold under RMI mark. Export version did not have any Colt trademarks and Colt logo was removed from the grips.

While relatively unknown and uncommon in the West, perhaps because it is not a movie weapon, Colt Woodsman is available quite regularly on Japanese Yahoo Auctions, in many variants.

More information about these modelguns:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/nkoinuma/Woodsman.htm

Version that I have is an export version from Collector's Armoury and was originally an ABS kit. It represents second series Colt Woodsman Match Target, with a flat-sided long barrel. I got it already in assembled form.

Box

Box is very large, which seems to be a common feature to kits. It is made of carton, featuring plenty of text on the outside. It is very clear that this is export version, as it is marked with Collector's Armoury logos and a lot of "American" warnings to keep model out of reach of children, do not put it in your nose, do not attempt to eat it and the most important one - that Collector's Armoury is not liable for any damages, direct, indirect, implied, consequential and whatever the lawyers could have thought of.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 01-box10
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 02-sti10

All that was left inside the box after assembly is the modelgun itself, with a magazine and a few cartridges, as well as sheets of paper. One of them is yet another round of warnings, this time that Collector's Armoury will not be liable should you try to use modelgun as a firearm. I find it amazing how deviated law system is in USA, making people seem to be stupid throught use of such warnings, while these are put there just for legal reasons.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 04-war10

The second sheet is instructions how to use cartridges, but surprisingly it bears Marushin logo and describes PFC cartridgs, while modelgun itself is MGC and uses simple BLK cartridges. It is possible that paperwork originally came with another model and just got mixed-up in this box.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 03-man10

Modelgun

Shape is strange, something I have not seen yet. Back of the slide is a tiny bit similar to Colt .32, but everything else is just different.

Front part of the model is flat on the sides, but with circular indentations. It's best seen on photos, my English is not up to task of explaining that. On top there is a front sight, and barrel sticks out of the front. Left side is marked "MODELGUN CORPORATION TOKYO JAPAN", it is almost the only text on this model, except for a serial number "79110" on the right side, and "Cal. 22 LR" bottom of the magazine. This front side of the pistol does not move, it's not as a slide in normal pistols. Only back part of the slide actually moves back, exposing chamber.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 10-lef10
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 11-tex10
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 15-rig10
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 16-tex10

Back part of the slide is serrated for better grip when cocking, as often with pistols. Elaborate back sight sits on top of it, with adjustment screws making sure that you can target it properly. On top you will find a disassembly, just in front of the sight. Do not press it during normal operation! Use of the button is described in disassembly section.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 20-bac10

It took me a while to realize what is "problem" with this slide - there is no ejection port! Because the back part moves away from the front part, there is a large gap between them that allows ejecting spent cartridge after the shot.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 21-sli10
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 22-ins10

MGC Colt Woodsman is very light, being made of ABS. It is also very shiny for the same reason, putting it in the same realism class (at least for me) as Marushin Browning or Marushin Xabungle. Only minor parts are metal: trigger, back sight, levers and some internals.

Left side of the pistol features all controls. Being the second series it has a magazine release button just behind the trigger guard. Above the grip you will find slide metal lock lever and safety lever. Slide lock works in the usual fashion, going up and holding slide open after the last cartridge. Safety lever seems to have two functions - it physically engages slide, making it impossible to pull back (cocking and introducing a bullet in chamber), as well as disconnects trigger from hammer - you can still press trigger, but a cocked hammer will not fall.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 12-det10

Grips are light brown, and obviously plastic - like original Woodsman! A single screw going through the frame holds it all together. They are shaped a bit more than usual pistol grips, but nothing like elaborate works of art that sport pistols seem to have instead of grips. Right grip has an empty space where Colt logo would have been in Japan domestic version by MGC.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 23-gri10

Magazine

Magazine is metal, with a cutout in the side and a button that you can pull down to help loading cartridges. Loading proces is not so easy - cartridges often either fall inside not in correct position (too angled) or block in the entrance (not enough angle). After some words of encouragment this process can be completed successfully.

I'm not sure about full capacity, as I have only 6 cartridges.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 30-mag10
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 31-mag10
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 34-mag10

Cartridges

This Colt Woodsman belongs to the early ABS models and it uses the original BLK (blowback) cartridge system. Cartridge consists of an empty shell, with a small hole in the bottom. There is also a round metal piece that is pushed inside from the top, followed by a 5mm cap facing outwards. Hole in the bottom helps to remove cap after firing (or unload cap without exploding it), you just need a thin long rod to push it out. Preferably wooden stick to avoid scratching walls of cartridge and making blowback action less effective.

This is a simple, yet effective design that works very well in such a small cartridge.

One of cartridges that I have is currently not usable - it suffered a crash described in "firing" section. This shows that design is fragile due to design for .22 model (small size, thin walls).

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 32-car10
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 33-car10

Later versions (HW) require different cartridges using CP-HW system. Please note that when planning purchase.

Firing

Colt Woodsman is surprisingly good for firing! :-)

Load cartridges with caps, put them in the magazine, insert magazine to the model. Make sure that safety is off, pull back and release slide to introduce the first cartridge in the chamber and to cock the hammer.

Point model in a safe direction... remember also about ejected cartridges - they will fly to the right, slightly upwards.

BANG!

OK, original Colt Woodsman is .22 LR which is supposed to make so little noise that you don't even need ear protection. If this feeling moved to modelgun, you will be surprised - MGC Woodsman uses the same 5mm caps with the same power as larger models, and effects accompanying firing are similar to them, too. Bang is not too loud, just right for indoor use. Blowback action is AMAZING however, with very strong and crisp movement that you definitely feel.

What caught me unaware was that the tiny cartridges are violently ejected about 4 meters away (a record for all my models), almost touching the ceiling (ok, just the lamp ;-) ), and crashing heavily on surface of a table. Fall was so hard that the cartridge has deformed itself and now does not even chamber in the model - correct hole dimensions and geometry is critical to work with detonator pin in the chamber in BLK design.

After adjusting my surroundings so that cartridges were caught in something soft, I proceeded to shoot remaining cartridges without problems, enjoying every shot.

Remember to clean both model and cartridges after shooting, as soon as possible. Critical areas are detonator pin (has to be removed) and cartridges - tight tolerances are required in BLK design for correct operation and even small amount of residue can cause jams. Also clean top area of magazine (you will discover necessary area as your cleaning tool becomes brown) and area around the chamber. For disassembly instructions please see appropriate section.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS 24-loa10

Problems

This is a fine modelgun that does not have real problems. Firing mechanism, as usual in MGC models, is well designed and just works. You might get an occasional stovepipe, which .

Cartridges are delicate enough to take extra care of them - if the fall on something hard, they will deform!

ABS material can be quite fragile. It is not only old, but also from beginning of usage in modelguns, when not all manufacturing problems have been corrected. As Woodsman has very strong action, it can be also more prone to cracking. Still, I enjoy shooting this one so much that I don't think about cracks.

Basic disassembly

Disassembly of Colt Woodsman is also unusual. Until I received manual I was not able to figure out how to do it correctly.

Please refer to the following thread for disassembly and cleaning instructions.
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/modelgun-stripping-and-rebuild-guides-f12/mgc-colt-woodsman-match-target-abs-disassembly-t2324.htm

Overall
MGC Colt Woodsman is something different when it comes to modelguns. It's nothing we know from movies, you will probably not impress anyone with this strange looking pistol, but it has advantages of its own. Mechanism is good, and firing performance compensates for plastic looks and light weight.

If you feel a need for a model a few people recognize, this might be an idea for you.

PS: thanks to HIGUsan for manual and additional information about this interesting model.

Last edited by smootik on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:45 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : moved disassembly information to separate thread)
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks to HIGUsan I now have a scan of manual :-)

I was able to disassemble pistol now - pictures in manual are clear enough.
Manual and procedure will be added to the review when I get some time.

Please note two very interesting facts I've learned from HIGUsan, too:
- Colt Woodsman was the first model designed to use plastic caps for blowback
- the first version released used paper caps, because production of plastic caps was delayed.

These facts would put original release of Colt Woodsman to 1978 or 1979.

Isn't this hobby fascinating? :-)
Back to top Go down
2Sharp
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 229
Location / Country : The Swedish Kingdom
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 10:35 pm

smootik wrote:
Isn't this hobby fascinating? :-)

Yes!!

And thanks to your excellent review i want a Woodsman now... i think all your reviews have made me want more modelguns...

cheers
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:40 am

Scan of manual, thanks to HIGUsan.
Please note that it has been resized smaller for posting.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Img_cw10
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Img_cw11
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Img_cw12

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Img_cw13
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Img_cw14
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Img_cw15
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 3:19 pm

Pictures of a Japanese box and original content. You can see 12 cartridges (one box), pin removal tool, cartridge loading tool, as well as Colt markings on the model.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Mgc_wo10
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Mgc_wo11
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Mgc_wo12
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 2:20 pm

2Sharp wrote:
And thanks to your excellent review i want a Woodsman now... i think all your reviews have made me want more modelguns...
I should have gotten job at MGC or Hudson in international marketing ;-)

Here's two pictures to give you a size idea. Standard DVD box for now, standard Colt 1911 and PPK will be done at another photo session.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Size-110
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Size-210

Movie featured here is Russian "Brat" (Brother) from 1997. Dark, emotional gangster movie with cult status in Russia and Eastern Europe. Very modern Russian movie made after fall of Soviet Union, showing grim life at the time. Interesting story, fantastic cinematics, actors who fit their roles very well. If you liked it, you might also check "Boomyer" (Bummer) from 2003 - different, yet similar.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Good old youtube does it again, here's a video of MGC's Colt Woodsman in action:-

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Icon_minitimeSat Jul 31, 2010 7:18 pm

Here's an advert showing three types of MGC Colt Woodsman: long barrel (Target), short barrel (Sport) and square barrel (Match Target).

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Mgc-wo10
Back to top Go down
folf

Number of posts : 23
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2013-03-14

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 pm

I just got this model kit and I'm a little confused about some of the instructions because mine came with a computer-printed all Japanese manual. Despite mine being a Collector's Armoury import, I suspect the original manual was lost. Can you by any chance give me a link to the english language manual or email me them or something? PM me if email, thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target, ABS
Page 1 of 1