MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Empty
PostSubject: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Disassembly of Colt Woodsman is also not very usual. Until I received manual I was not able to figure out how to do it correctly.

Before you start, see manual in the next post as a reference.

• remove magazine, make sure that the chamber is empty.
  • pull slide back, then press button on top of the slide, just in front of the sight. This button moves a metal leaf spring that will block return spring in compressed position, allowing to remove whole slide.
  • keeping button pressed pull the trigger and let slide return to forward (closed) position. You can release button after that, spring should be held compressed now. You should see it because disassembly button will now move freely, not held by leaf spring.
  • pull the trigger, so the hammer is in released position (up), otherwise it will not be possible to complete the next step.
  • now the trickiest part. Look at the grip - the back section of the grip is actually inserted into the grip. Top of it is engaged with slide and trigger mechanism, but if you followed previous steps, it should be possible to remove it now. Do not try to remove screw at the back of grip! Push back part of the grip (mainspring housing) slightly upwards, then pull it slightly out, towards the back. Then pull whole part downwards, to remove the other end from inside of the slide. With a bit of delicate fiddling you should be able to complete that step.
  • now that mainspring housing is removed, flip model upside down and simply pull the slide to the back. It should not interfere with anything (except hammer that cocks during this move). It is no longer blocked by mainspring housing and can be simply removed. Why upside down? to avoid parts falling out from the slide.
  • note carefully what is inside slide. Firing bar (it is a side fire system) just sits there, not held by anything.

Now you can inspect and clean slide. Pay attention to the front side and firing bar. Make sure there is no water inside, metal parts will rust!

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-0110
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-0210
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-0310

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-1010
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-1110
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-1210
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-1310
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-1410
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-1510
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-1610
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-1710

At the last picture above see top of the mainspring housing. You can see that the plunger is held by a pin.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-2010
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-2110
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-2210
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-2310

Two of the holes under firing bar have inserts from a piece of plastic tubing. This is to make impact softer and preserve slide longer.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-2410
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-2510

At the picture above note how return spring is kept compressed by a clever leaf spring. Hole in middle of leaf spring is where button on top of the slide sits.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-3010
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-3110
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-3210

Hammer down, up, and a view of the strut that is normally pushed by mainspring.

To remove detonator pin from the barrel you need to unscrew it, best with a special key supplied by MGC. This is the same key as for MGC Luger P08. Using other tools can scratch and damage detonator pin.

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-4010
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-4110
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-4210
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-4310
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-4410
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly S-4510

You can maybe make out that on the left detonator pin is dirty, in the right cleaned. Sorry for poor quality, I just couldn't figure out how to take a better picture.

If you want to perform additional inspection (not necessary during normal use), you can also disassemble whole mechanism:
  • hold grips firmly together
  • unscrew the single screw that holds both grips. Remember to hold them, there is a leaf spring inside and other parts that could fall apart.
  • after removing screw parts can fall out depending on how you proceed. I found that it's easier to flip model so left side is downwards, then remove top (right) panel first. Underneath there is a leaf spring used for magazine catch. Note how this spring is placed, remove it.
  • remove magazine release button, just press it from bottom and remove from top.
  • now flip model over and remove top (left) panel. Under the panel you will find exposed slide lock lever and other parts.

You can stop at this time, or follow manual (posted below) to complete the process if you need to.

When assembling back together note a few important points:
  • make sure all slide elements are back in right place and position: compressed spring, firing bar...
  • before you put slide in place, cock the hammer (without spring it just moves around) - otherwise it will stick from frame and block slide.
  • after you put slide in place release hammer by pulling trigger and pushing the strut that is inside the grip upwards. Hammer in cocked position will block back of grip from entering its place.
  • delicately insert back of the grip, first top part has to go fully inside the slide, then just lock bottom part in correct place. If something does not want to go inside, do not force it! Take time to look, check, maybe remove slide again and understand how everything should go together.

Congratulations! You have now completed disassembly and assembly of your MGC Colt Woodsman.
It should work like before, or even better if you cleaned and oiled it ;-)

Last edited by smootik on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:50 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : added photos)
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 1:22 pm

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Img_cw10
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Img_cw11
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Img_cw12

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Img_cw13
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Img_cw14
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Img_cw15
Back to top Go down
c_alexandersen
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
c_alexandersen

Number of posts : 292
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2011-11-30

PostSubject: slide/breech reassembly   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi Guys

I might have missed something, had a bit of a hazzle getting it of but for sure I cannot get it back on now !
Feel I have everything in correct place
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Woodsman_slide_1_zpsd3d4a2cb

but still I have the collision at the arrow !
MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Woodsman_slide_22_zpsf3ce3a6c

Have I missed a hint ? or
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 4:01 pm

Now seems to be resolved after some troubleshooting.

Firing bar consists of two parts that are put together (welded/glued/whatevered).
The main bar, and a small L-shaped element that is at its back.
This L-part is where hammer strikes to push firing bar (and cartridge) forward and set off cap.
It is however not truly fixed, and can pivot around the bending point.
This means that vertical part (hit by hammer) is tilting forward, while the horizontal part is no longer flush with the main bar.
It starts to protrude down, eventually interfering with frame.
This defect does not seem to influence normal firing and operation, as the bar does not interfere with other parts inside.
Disassembly is also possible, because due to L-part shape slide can be pulled off.
It is when assembling back that problem happens.

I found the same defect on my Woodsman, except that the part got polished away (you can see it on photo) and does not interfere.

Solution - bend the L-part back to be flush with the main bar, and/or file it to be more flush.

It remains to be verified that this fix is working correctly.
I could be guessing wrong of course, and this L-part might have some other purpose.
Back to top Go down
folf

Number of posts : 23
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2013-03-14

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Icon_minitimeFri Mar 16, 2018 10:06 pm

Your manual is different than the one that came with mine, I really wish that 1: i had a scanner and 2: i had a translation because i cant figure out how to put some parts in and the instructions' picture doesn't really tell me what i need to know
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly   MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC Colt Woodsman Match Target (ABS) disassembly
Page 1 of 1