MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Empty
PostSubject: MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government   MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 3:58 pm

Post by Rizzo

Not sure if I've posted this before, but here it is Smile
(full review can be seen here- http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/53/sort/2/cat/63/page/1)

Downloadable Video: http://www.shed-o-love.com/rizzo/muzle.mpg Right-Click and "Save Target As..." to download.
The box…
Enough of the babble, what about the gun? Well, upon receiving the package from www.modelguncollector.co.uk, who also happen to be very nice people, I ripped open the packaging and discovered a rather weighty box. Upon closer inspection, it appeared that the box was in fact for a MGC Colt Commander, but this was fine by me, as the chaps at Model Gun Collector had informed me of my 1911’s lack of original box.

What’s in the box, Spot?
In the box there was-
• Instruction manual (Japanese)
• 4 Fake .45 rounds (for display purposes, do not cycle thru the gun)
• a box of 6 .45 ACP PFC cartridges
• a box of 100 caps
• A set of black Colt grips
• A loading tool
• A disassembly tool
• A cotton bud

Oh and an MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government. Hoorah!

The Gun…
The replica has a fantastic feel to it, as indeed all single stacking .45s do. It weighs about 800g loaded (the cartridges add a fair bit of weight) so this is definitely a hefty pistol.

The frame and slide are made from Heavy Weight plastic, which feels and looks superb. However, the plastic has zinc added to it, to make it more metal like- this adds a brittle property to the plastic, and means that the slide is prone to cracking. These parts, along with the barrel, are the only plastic parts on the gun (apart from the grips). The internals are all Zinc alloy, including the 7 round magazine.

As mentioned before, the Colt strips exactly like the real thing which is very satisfying and a nice feature of the replica. Care must be taken in disassembling all replicas, as if a part won’t come out smoothly; you’re probably doing it wrongly. The Japanese manual provides a sufficient pictorial guide to disassembling, so far so good.

The metal internals give the replica a very satisfying sound when being loaded and cocked. Care must be taken when loading the magazine into the gun, as slamming the magazine in can cause an extremely nasty jam (as in the real steel).

The replica features a grip safety (grip safety must be compressed before being able to fire) and another safety on the frame. In terms of markings, this model features full Colt 1911 trademarks, including ‘Colt’s Mk IV/ Series ’70 Government Model .45 Automatic Caliber’ accompanied by prancing, well, colt (the horse). The other side is inscribed with ‘Colt’s Government Model’. Trademarks on the frame are as per the real steel, with ‘Colt’s PTF a MFG CO Hartford CONN USA’ which is partially concealed by the grip. Also on that side of the frame is ‘12581C70’, with a small ‘MGC’ underneath, the only marking that discerns this replica from the real Colt.

On the fake wood grips supplied with the model, there is a gold Colt logo, and on the black grips supplied, a triangular logo that I’m not familiar with.

Operation

The slide mechanism, and indeed the entire gun works very smoothly, and will continue to do so as long as it is properly maintained.
The magazine is gently slid into the frame, the slide pulled back and released, loading the first cartridge into the chamber, just like a real Colt 1911. From here, there are two options for the user- firstly, they may pull the trigger, which results in the cap being detonated, the slide slamming backwards, the cartridge being ejected, smoke pouring from the ejection port and barrel, the slide returning forward and sparks coming from the barrel. Or the user may wish to carefully (very carefully) slowly squeeze the trigger whilst holding the hammer, and slowly returning the hammer to it’s upright position without it striking the firing arm. Now the gun is effectively decocked. To fire the gun from this state, simply retract the hammer (a joyous moment) and squeeze the trigger.

Upon my first try of the gun, I opted for option 1 as many of you will. I can safely say that it was the most satisfying feeling I have experienced in my airsofting career/obsession. The fun of firing off an entire magazine, each shot in quick succession, with this gun is hard to describe but suffice is to say you are left in a cloud of smoke with a very wide grin fixed on your face.

Cleaning
After operation, the PFC gun and cartridges should be cleaned, to avoid the corrosive gun powder residue corroding and tarnishing the cartridges and firing mechanism. For every day use, the gun needs an oiling (with gun oil, or 3 in 1 oil) of the firing mech, but the cartridges require cleaning with good old soap and water. Detergent-based soap or washing-up-liquid I have found to be admirably suited to this task. Simply strip the cartridges down to their component parts, and submerge in a viscous mixture of hot, soapy water and leave for half an hour. Return, rinse and dry. It’s as simple as that, but if you can’t be bothered to go through this process, then an Ultra Sonic Cleaner can be purchased for around £30 which will do the job for you. *adds to shopping list* ; )

Note- this was written for people who don't know much about PFCs, so sorry for the simple instructions/terminology etc. Hopefully you get the jist Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government   MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 3:59 pm

Post by Claymore

excellent rizzo mate nice to see someone else do another review. have read this on arnies i think but not a problem good to see it on here and one of my favourite guns as well.
Been meaning to post a review on arnies on something i have done on here but its time i am afraid i would like to do reviews for this forum but time has not allowed but i will get one sorted and post on there.
Anyway great review i hope you do some more. MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_biggrin MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government   MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 3:59 pm

Post by rizzo

Thanks mate MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_biggrin

By the way, check out the link at the top for pics as well MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government   MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Hello All,

Very impressed once again by a really good review, thanks indeed!
I've been considering a Colt 45 for some time. I've got other pistols, a Luger P08, Mauser M712 and a P38 but neither of them sound as good as this Colt does on the video clip. Has the sound been enhanced or does it really sound that good?

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government   MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Post by rizzo

That's enhanced. The gunshot sound in that vid is taken from a game. It is fairly loud tho, and although it isn't a boom like on the vid, it is a loud crack MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government   MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks Rizzo, I thought that it was too realistic to be true!
Cerwyn
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government   MGC Colt 1911 MkIV Series 70 Government Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1