MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Edifice

Number of posts : 14
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Empty
PostSubject: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi everyone

Seems i finally found a forum where the people, that actually knows something about modelguns dwells Wink
I'm pretty new to this model gun thing, but finally got some income that allowed such purchases. I've always been into 1911's in airsoft and a couple of months ago, i decided to buy a Springfield Armory M1911 from this airsofting site called ehobbyasia...wanted an "oldschool" Colt 1911 but couldn't find one. Blah Blah, but heres to my questions; i havent been able to figure out how to upload pictures yet, but i will post a link to a picture of the gun, from the site where i bought it:

Picture:

Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... 72191

Link:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessories/dummy-model/model-gun-cap-gun/mgc-m1911-springfield-armory-model-gun-heavy-weight.html

To me it seems like a little weird model...it pretty much looks like a standard SA M1911 Loaded, but my modelgun version doesnt have a barrel bushing, and also seems to have what is called a "bull barrel"...meaning that it is thicker than standard 1911 barrels. Pretty weird for a standard size 1911. I have some pictures of my own gun where it is easier to see, but they'll be posted later if interested.
Does anybody on this forum have experience with this model, and is it possible to put in a full length guide rod in it? And of course, where can i buy such thing...

And my second question: Does anybody know where to buy magazines and PFC/dummy bullets for it? Ive seen some pages that sells what seems to be the right items, but they are pretty expensive and i want to be sure before ordering.
I'm also interested in buying parts from people in here, and i'll post such "wanted" items in the appropriate branch of the forum;)

Hope this long scribble made sense Very Happy

Lates
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 9:55 am

Welcome to the Forum Edifice, and thank you for your kind words.

Colt's 1911 is a very popular Modelgun. Several different versions have been made by most of the model manufacturers over the years.
I am rather confused by e-hobby asia's advert as they describe the model you mention as an MGC model, but manufactured by Tanaka Works...
MGC were a major manufacturer in their own right, Tanaka Works were (are) a different company altogether.
Maybe one of our more knowledgable members can shed light on that Question

Several methods have been used by MGC in particular to make a good cap firing model. I have an old GM-2 version which does not have a Barrel Bushing like the genuine 1911. There's also a Recoil spring over the barrel. Later GM- versions replicated the real 1911 in more detail.

MGC sadly ceased trading last year but there are still new models held in dealers stocks and come up on the second-hand market too. A great source of models is Francky in Japan. He comes very highly recommended, have a look at his website http://franckys-modelgun.com/
He can supply complete models, accessories parts and cartridges.

One word of caution though, the HW material, Heavy Weight ABS, is a plastic including metallic particles in it's make up. Good weight and a cold metal like feel are the benefit, but the downside is that it can be brittle and prone to breaking. Barrel failures are common when firing so get yourself a spare barrel or two if you intend firing it.

I'm sure the other members here will guide you further, Very Happy meanwhile I hope this helps

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Edifice

PostSubject: Re: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks for the reply! Yes, i have heard that the heavyweight guns were prone to break...havent even fired mine as of yet:) It was just the bushing-less design that puzzled me, because as far as i know its mostly the compact colt models etc., that sports this design. Maybe its some sort of hybrid/custom/special/whatever;)

I guess the most important part right now is finding out what brand of 1911 magazines fit this pistol...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi Edifice,

Could you post some photos of your model please, it'll help to identify (hopefully) which of MGC's production versions it is.
Of particular interest would be the Barrel Bushing (or lack of in this case), Barrel and the Slide with Barrel, Guide Rod & Spring in situ.

Uploading pictures is easy enough, using Photobucket (please see https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t737-posting-pictures?highlight=posting+pictures) or alternateively scroll accross the icons above ( first one's B {bold}) this white text box when you next write a reply until you see a pop-up box "Host an Image" , click on that and it'll give you access to another free photo hosting server.

Establishing which version it is will determine which size magazine it needs. Real mags' do not always fit, you'll need a correct Modelgun type.
My old GM-2 framed MGC Colt wouldn't accept later MGC magazines because they're about 2-3mm too long. We ended up cutting a later MGC mag to fit in the end.

Cartridges supplied with your model might help identify it's type too. There are 2 sizes of cartridges, possibly more, that fit MGC Colt 1911s

Back to top Go down
Edifice

PostSubject: Re: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Ahh, that was actually pretty easy...thanks for the help man!

[img]Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... DSC00475[/img]

[img]Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... DSC00477[/img]

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks for the photos Smile

Seeing them I now understand that it feels so strange to see a full-size 1911 without a bushing!

I prefer short rod, it makes model much easier to disassemble.
Full-length rod (in TK model, not in MGC) is a potential disaster. I almost lost a mirror after it flew out during disassembly.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 11:36 am

Nice photos of a very nice looking Modelgun Very Happy

The photo and video hosting servers are superb ways of sharing images. The only drawback being that you must keep images / videos "live" there and upload one photo minimum every six or nine months otherwise the image vanishes for ever from forum pages.

I'm not too familiar with MGC Colt 1911s but notice that your recoil spring differs to my early GM-2 version. Early instructions here show my set up

It also appears different to the later type :

Here's hoping one of our MGC Colt experts will step in and get you sorted Very Happy

As you've got the original magazine, and model description / photos you should be able to buy spare mags and cartridges from Francky or John at www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com

Back to top Go down
Edifice

PostSubject: Re: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 12:27 pm

Yes, the link you posted to the instruction manual og the later types, is exactly the same as the one that came with mine. So i should be able to use similar magazines and pfc 45.acps in my gun...its really a detective work to identify the parts for these pistols Laughing Mine came in a really weird "flower power" typish box that didnt have any text recognising it as a cap gun!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi Edifice,

I guess you bought your Colt as a pre-owned model then, going by the fact it came in a funky
flower power box Very Happy
Did you receive any cartridges with it Question A photo of them, together with photos of your model sent to Francky or John at PFCGUK should have you supplied with the correct cartridges and spare magazines. John should be able to supply you with caps while we wait for a sollution to Japan Post's ban on shipping caps. We are all hopeful that won't be too long now.
Don't forget to ask for a couple of spare barrels too just in case of breakages.

Let us know how you get on,

Back to top Go down
Edifice

PostSubject: Re: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 10:34 am

Yes, finally got some more PFC rounds and an extra magazine for it...dont know if they get harder and harder to find, now that MGC is shotdown. But it seems to be a pretty common type of magazine, so it probably wont be that hard.
Anyway, thanks for the help guys Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 11:26 am

That's good news Very Happy
You will find MGC parts becoming harder and harder to find but patience pays off often.
Francky and Shazhib in Japan have access to Japan's Yahoo Auction site where rarer parts turn up sometimes.
They can usually find items given time.
Keep us informed of your progress please Question

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...   Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions about MGC/Tanaka works Springfield Armory M1911...
Page 1 of 1