MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Stage Armament Solutions
Stage Armament Solutions

Number of posts : 14
Location / Country : Washington DC, USA
Registration date : 2009-05-17

Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Empty
PostSubject: Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica   Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 4:34 pm

Gentlemen,

First off I am very appreciative of the forum and all of you knowledgeable guys!

At a gun show this weekend I picked up the following replica. I promise I have done a search through the forums and I don't think I saw anything exactly like this one.

From what I can gather this all-metal/composite grips model is quite similar to the Hudson. From the pictures you can see that the markings are a little different. I could not find "JAPAN" stamped anywhere on the outside.

Any thoughts as to manufacture and a date range? It sure looks like it'll take cartridges, but I'm at a loss as to which kind.

Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Mauser11

Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Mauser12

Here are some detail shots of the various markings. Mostly nothing new except the Mauser Marking on the left frame.

Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Mauser18

Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Mauser19

Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Mauser20

Here is a shot of the barrel blockage - I suspect this is a good clue.

Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Mauser21

I can certainly take other photos or email the higher resolution ones to anyone. Thank you for any ideas!

Last edited by Stage Armament Solutions on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.sasguns.com
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica   Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Looks like MGC one to me, please compare photos:
http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~yon-yon/cgi/mgc/mauser/index.html

Grips are probably replaced custom ones. Lack of MGC could make it RMI model, just without "JAPAN" stamp.
Back to top Go down
Stage Armament Solutions
Stage Armament Solutions

PostSubject: Thank you!   Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Thank you so much for the link and info. Sure looks about right.

The very last photo above the 'box' photo shows the shorter barrel model- great news. It also has the same "9" grips (without paint fill). The only thing is that mine doesn't have the "MGC" stamp so I would guess you are right- an RMI model. Wonder how it came to be in the States with no "JAPAN" or other manufacture markings. Looks like the cartridges in the photo are the ones.

And I'll stand corrected - it's the 1916 model- not 1896.

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica   Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 5:33 pm

Stage Armament Solutions wrote:
It also has the same "9" grips (without paint fill).
Duh, didn't notice the grips, this means they are not custom, just original Smile

Nice find, these are good models from early period.
Back to top Go down
Stage Armament Solutions
Stage Armament Solutions

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica   Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Thanks! I was pleased to acquire it.

One last thing I'm trying to sort out: I usually engrave my inventory serial number on my props (not as nice as a stamping but I try to keep them small).

This one would appear to have some collector potential, but I would be the first to say that this is not a pristine example. The finish is longer what it once was, and it's obviously been knocked about in it's life: there are some dings and scratches, and even two small dings in the magazine well area (how did THAT happen?).

If I engrave my s/n, then I diminish any collector value. On the other hand maybe nobody cares because it's not minty.

????

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica   Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 12:07 pm

Stage Armament Solutions wrote:
If I engrave my s/n, then I diminish any collector value. On the other hand maybe nobody cares because it's not minty.
My PoV: it depends on how invasive the serial number is. If it blends with the model thanks to location and engraving method, I would not see a problem and buy such a model. It would also make it a sort of "unique" and enable to track it passing from hands to hands Smile
On this forum there was already an MGC Mauser with a marking done by one of members. It took a long way around, then was purchased by another member puzzled by this feature. Can't find the thread though.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica   Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 2:52 pm

There are photos of MGC's short barrel version Mauser here too:

The same page has photos of a model stamped with the owner's own serial number too. As smootik says, if done with care, unique numbers don't detract at all from the model's appearance.
There are re-bluing fluids available that could restore zinc alloy back to it's former lustre if you were inclined to do so.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net Online
Stage Armament Solutions
Stage Armament Solutions

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica   Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks Cerwyn - I found that bit about the service number stamped on the frame while doing a "mauser" search through the forums. Nice method- I should probably do that myself (right now I do it by hand with an engraver and the results vary wildly Rolling Eyes )

I'll do another search for the rebluing info- good to keep it in the back pocket.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica   Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 9:34 am

No problem, there's a wealth of information on here on re-bluing Zinc which should prove helpful.

I've recently started re-bluing / blacking both Zinc and Steel and managed to achieve good results.

Birchwood Casey make good "home bluing" compounds but the best one I've tried so far is a Zinc Blue liquid bought from Francky in Japan. The last stage is to polish with a fine abrasive liquid which gives a really nice deep sheen.

Your MGC Mauser could be restored to look like new again Very Happy

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net Online
Suomi KP/-31
Suomi KP/-31

Number of posts : 57
Location / Country : Sweden
Registration date : 2010-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica   Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Nice Broomhandle! And interesting - I didn't know MGC made a Bolo Mauser too. Too bad they went for the 1896 grips though - a real Bolo has different ones. Great gun, give it some TLC and you'll have a fine piece of modelgun history!
smootik wrote:

On this forum there was already an MGC Mauser with a marking done by one of members. It took a long way around, then was purchased by another member puzzled by this feature. Can't find the thread though.
Hehe... that was my gun. I won't comment on the "invasive-ness" of the serial numbers though... Wink it was a great story, interesting provenance and shows that the model gun collector world is indeed a small one.
Here's the thread:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica   Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unknown Mauser 1916 Type Replica
Page 1 of 1