MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to unscrew long stored Cartridges

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
c_alexandersen
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
c_alexandersen

Number of posts : 292
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2011-11-30

How to unscrew long stored Cartridges Empty
PostSubject: How to unscrew long stored Cartridges   How to unscrew long stored Cartridges Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 8:57 am

After a several year long break I am now returning to my PFC models guns
To my great horror I have found many of the stored Cartridges stuck in the thread Mad
I simply cannot un-screw the parts to load them.
Last thing I have not tried clamping or using a wrench - not to make scratched Sad

Does anyone have tip for chemicals or ?
Back to top Go down
luchs

Number of posts : 42
Location / Country : italy
Registration date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: How to unscrew long stored Cartridges   How to unscrew long stored Cartridges Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 10:15 am

c_alexandersen wrote:
After a several year long break I am now returning to my PFC models guns
To my great horror I have found many of the stored Cartridges stuck in the thread Mad
I simply cannot un-screw the parts to load them.
Last thing I have not tried clamping or using a wrench - not to make scratched Sad

Does anyone have tip for chemicals or ?
give them a good wash of wd 40 detergent or svitol oil
http://www.wd40.com/
http://www.arexons.it/arexons/cms/en/lubricants/lubricant/
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: How to unscrew long stored Cartridges   How to unscrew long stored Cartridges Icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 11:34 am

Welcome to the forum :-)

What I try:
- use ultrasonic cleaner to dislocate some of the dirt inside
- soak in penetrating oil to try breaking crust inside apart. clean afterwards!
- you can also try soaking in vinegar/baking soda or coca-cola or other solutions. sometimes it helps.
- use a pair of pliers, one on each piece of the cartridge. put rubber underneath for grip.

So far I managed to open (I think) all uncleaned cartridges that came with models I purchased by using above methods. Pliers are last resort. Sometimes all the cart needed was to break the initial inertia, and after just a tiny twist using pliers it opened further without issues (rubber gloves did not work). Sometimes more force was required, often leaving scratches where plier teeth gripped the cart. This can be polished to some degree, and should not cause problems during operation.

If you have Marushin cartridges with steel detonator pin and/or cartridge bottom, keep in mind it will rust in no time if you soak it in water.
Back to top Go down
c_alexandersen
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
c_alexandersen

Number of posts : 292
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2011-11-30

PostSubject: succes    How to unscrew long stored Cartridges Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 4:27 am

Very Happy Thankyou gentlmen Very Happy

Several baths in WD40 and a bit of patience did the job

It even seems the WD40 have a cleaning/polishing effect - at least some of the originalbrass shine seems back

thanks again
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: How to unscrew long stored Cartridges   How to unscrew long stored Cartridges Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 11:01 am

Good to read you managed to unscrew your cartridges eventually Very Happy If you want to restore the brass you can polish using products like "Brasso" "Duraglit" or "Solvol Autosol" These will give brass a mirror shine if you have the patience

It's as important to have the inside of the cartridge clean and as polished as you can manage to make sure the internal parts, i.e. cap and piston can move freely. This is essential to give good blowback when fired.

WD40 works well as a cleaner and releasing agent but don't use it to lubricate rubber 0-rings fitted to the cartridge pistons. Solvents in WD40 will cause the 0-ring to dry out and split in time. Use silicone grease for this Wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to unscrew long stored Cartridges   How to unscrew long stored Cartridges Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to unscrew long stored Cartridges
Page 1 of 1