MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tanio Koba M4

Go down 
+5
armalyte
Momocampo
Cerwyn
smootik
JohnnyV
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:23 pm

OK time is the enemy as usual, but tonight I can put some pictures up and come back soon to add a bit of text here and there with some opinions:)

On the whole very nice, but expensive!!!

Tanio Koba M4  Img_2010
Tanio Koba M4  Img_2011
Tanio Koba M4  Img_2012
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1914
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1915
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1916
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1917
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1918
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1919
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1920
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1921
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1922
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1923
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1924
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1925
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1926
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1927
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1928
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1929
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1930
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1931
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1932
Tanio Koba M4  Img_1933

Last edited by JohnnyV on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:37 am

Now I see why people "don't like" my reviews because they make them want to buy another model ;-D

How do you compare internals to Marushin version? Do they seem more durable? (ahem, hammer...)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 am

Every photo and Video I've seen of Tanio Koba's M4A1 has tempted me into breaking open my Piggy-Bank to buy one of these

JohnnyV's photos, especially of the internals of this, have caused my Piggy-Bank to tremble in fear. This IS one stunning looking modelgun. Every video, especially the ones posted on youtube by private owners rather than the manufacturer show this to be an excellent Firing model. Tanio Koba's GM-7 Colt 1911s are superb so it's reasonable to expect the M4A1 to be good.

I shall look forwards eagerly to reading a full Review of this bounce bounce bounce Thanks for the photos J Wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 389
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 11:44 am

Ok, ok Cerwyn, but 1200$!!!!!
Arrrrgggg, surely a very good item but surely too expensive.

Maybe in another life Smile

Wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Momocampo wrote:
Ok, ok Cerwyn, but 1200$!!!!!
Arrrrgggg, surely a very good item but surely too expensive.

Maybe in another life Smile

Wink

Hi Momo'

I know, $1200 or about £750 is a LOT of money for what is, after all, a plastic gun. Everything is relative I guess, a Tanio Koba GM-7 1911 is just below £300. The classic collectors' modelguns such as MGC68 MP40 are anywhere from £500 - £800 or more.

It is, realistically, difficult to justify spending £750 on a plastic modelgun. I could probably buy a new Kidney for that sort of money but these TK models are in limited quantities, built by Tanio Koba (the Father of modelguns as we know them) and they work straight out of the box. It WILL be very interesting to read an honest review here, especially when reliability and durability come in. If these things don't break but keep on going, they could be worth the money

Last edited by Cerwyn on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

SunHill999 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Hello Cerwyn,

Yes, I know that the real quality has a price. And with this price you have a firing performance perfect I think.
Anyway, a beautiful item Smile

Wink
Back to top Go down
armalyte

Number of posts : 14
Location / Country : Paris. FRANCE
Registration date : 2011-12-21

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 3:15 pm

With the eternal help of Cerwyn and John, I bought with my Girlfriend father in 50/50 this model. To be honest, nothing to say. It's absolutely perfect !!!!!

It's a heavy model, perfect design, it feel compact, sure and strong.

Here some pictures and comments. I took a Marushin XM 177 metal to compare.

The M4 come with one magazine, a caps tool, and a disablement barrel tool. By precaution we bought 50 replacement o'ring.

Tanio Koba M4  P1000916

Tanio Koba M4  P1000919

The weight is nearly similar between the 2 models

MAGAZINE :
TKM4 magazine is in HW plastic, an get a moving protection can be clip below
Tanio Koba M4  P1000921

Tanio Koba M4  P1000922

The size between MX177 and M4 are similar

Tanio Koba M4  P1000923

Tanio Koba M4  P1000924

BODY
Tanio Koba M4  P1000931
Tanio Koba M4  P1000932
Tanio Koba M4  P1000933
Tanio Koba M4  P1000934

The hand grip is more large and not round but oval
M4 hand grip below
Tanio Koba M4  P1000928

XM117 one :
Tanio Koba M4  P1000929

M4 one :
Tanio Koba M4  P1000930

Tanio Koba M4  P1000935

Tanio Koba M4  P1000936

Tanio Koba M4  P1000937

Tanio Koba M4  P1000938

CARTRIDGES
They are in aluminum and in 4 parts. FOR INFORMATION TK cartridges work in the Marushin XM177 and in MGC XM177 too. With only a 7mn caps. TKM4 cartridges are below.

Tanio Koba M4  P1000925

Tanio Koba M4  P1000926

There is no "resistance" when you load the cartridges in the magazine. The spring is soft.

Tanio Koba M4  P1000927

The M4 give the sensation to be very compact : no noise of moving part when you "shake" it like the XM, no "game disparity" between parts. When the magazine in fit, it doesn't move. It's a "High precious work".
"Better than the real like" said my GF father

DISABLEMENT
Coming soon. We haven't test yet......

FIRING TEST
We made 75 fire, and no ONE missed fire. The cartridges ejecting far away. In semi auto like in burst, the cylinder movement is sweet, not comparison with the XM one. Sound good !!!

I'll get more caps soon to see if the fire precisions during.

CONCLUSION
Buy it alone may seem a little bit expensive but in my case, I don't regret even if I had to share it.
I have no a lot of MG experiences as you all but I think this model is a wonderful one.
We are really enjoy of it.

MANUAL
Tanio Koba M4  A_page10
Tanio Koba M4  A_page11
Tanio Koba M4  A_page12
Tanio Koba M4  A_page13
Tanio Koba M4  A_page14
Tanio Koba M4  A_page16
Tanio Koba M4  A_page17
Tanio Koba M4  A_page18
Tanio Koba M4  A_page19
Tanio Koba M4  A_page20
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 am

Hello and congratulations to your great M4!

I own most of the available M4/M16/XM177 modelguns so I can tell that your Tanio Koba M4 looks stunning.

Thank you for your great review. I don't think it is too bad that you have to share this model. In general collecting modelguns is a lonely hobby, mostly done at home in privacy. It is great if you hava a friend to enjoy the fun together.

I hope to get a Tanio Koba M4 myself one day. He is the father of modelguns and his reputation is great. Still there are some things I do not like too much about his M4, but this is more than offset by its greast firing performance.
Back to top Go down
armalyte

Number of posts : 14
Location / Country : Paris. FRANCE
Registration date : 2011-12-21

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 10:48 am

MadMike
thanks for your comment.

To be honest, I can't believe that you'll regret to get one.
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2013 9:52 am

I was able to fire a TK M4A1, really stunning! Great performer in semi, full auto and bursts! Would love to get one for my collection ...
Back to top Go down
c0lt

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-01-14

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Is it really reliable?   Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Hello guys!!!
cheers

I am about to buy this M4 to add another shell ejecting replica to my collection.
There is 2 things that bother me...
THe first i discovered this morning...take a look yourself with this video.

/watch?v=BGJ5l__hKbQ

Omg a lot of Multiple consecutive malfunctions...so much it's embarassing to watch..But Costa keep it cool. Very Happy

The second thing is that i don't have luck with mg-props.uk...I chated by mail with a guy named Jay and the more i ask for infos the less i have in returns...he told me that my mails didnt reach him...
The last mail i sent to him was a mail to confirm my will to order this M4. The review on this forum convince me and i need the M4 for a movie.

Do you know another shop with this M4 available by any chance?

Merci et salutation à tout le monde and sorry for my english!!

edit: WOW New members can't post link... Shocked
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 3:19 pm

Well Chris Costa sure put those modelguns to the test !! cannot fault the way he dealt with the stoppages !
I bet I can load PFC carts with caps quicker though lol!

That guy has spent TOO MUCH time with real guns! Very Happy  I think he could destroy all my PFC / Airsoft models in a few days!!

Seriously this demonstrates the differences between real and modelgun handling, and also the similarities at the same time....
Different strokes for different folks, I will stick with the toys!!! geek

Back to top Go down
c0lt

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 3:44 pm

He was just testing the semi-auto mode until the first malfunction lol...

I am a little bit disapointed be cause i saw so much good review about this M4...a lot of Full auto with no malfunction...maybe the problem is the semi-auto lol
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2015 11:26 pm

I have to admit it was a little surprising to see the misfires on the Koba M4. I am curious if the model needed cleaned or if the cartridges were worn or dirty?

I personally purchased one of these M4 models in used condition from an individual here in the US some time ago and fire it occasionally. It has never misfired - period. Not even once. That is on semi or full auto and it has been through more than a 100 or so rounds in my hands. That is not to mention how many mags the previous owner put through it, although I don't think it was many.

I take down my models after use and give them a thorough cleaning and inspection. This one shows virtually no wear, which is probably due to its cycling smoothness.

If I saw the video with all of the misfires, I too would be concerned about buying one. However, based on all of the positive videos I've seen and my own personal experience, I would still recommend it! Of course, it is still not cheap!

Back to top Go down
c0lt

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 am

Thank you ljerr2 to confort me to buy this beautifull M4.

Now i need to find where i can put my hand on this baby Embarassed

I'll try to harrasse Mr Jay again.

Can you tell me if i can change de Handguard with an airsoft one or a real one ?
For the movie i need to customise a little this beast.

Do you think i can modify a real emag or pmag to fit this gun?

Ljerr2: By any chance do you sell the one you have? lol!

Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 4:50 am

I just tried a real pmag for you to see if it would fit. I wasn't expecting it to, but it did seem to fit fine. Really well, actually. As far as making it work for cap firing, that is another story altogether as the mags are very different inside the case obviously. If you are just after a look (not firing), then it would work for you.

I haven't tried changing the handguards, but it would seem by a quick measurement that they should be interchangeable. Since I haven't taken it apart, I cannot say if mods would be needed.

I did put a Magpul stock on it before and I think it looks good. Of course, a carry handle is easy to install if you should choose to do so.

I also noticed MG-props had one listed for sale. I think these M4's are hard to find now, even with the recent re-release this past winter. I would email him again. I have personally purchased from Jay and he has helped me out in sourcing models, as well.

Sorry - mine isn't for sale! I love you
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 12:02 pm

Tanio Koba recently produced another quantity of the M4 model which sold out almost immediately. As far as I'm aware, there are no plans to produce any more in the near future.
No doubt the majority of these will have been bought by Japanese collectors but there may be a number still in Japanese retail dealers.
I would suggest asking Japanese member shazhib if he could source one for you. He can be contacted by PM, personal Message, via the Forum

I'm lucky enough to have one of the first production models. It is a beautiful model and does fire very well indeed. The only problem I have with it is that Cartridge supplies are non existent. Fortunately I bought a large quantity at the time I acquired the gun BUT the cartridges are not very durable.  The screw on top part of the cartridge flares outwards every time it's fired. The flare soon causes feed problems from the magazine. The only solution so far has been to grind the flare off which is not ideal.
The light alloy used to make the cartridge is not very thick and like most brass cartridges, MGC P220 9mm in particular and some MGC .223" too, gas pressure blows its way out past the threads flaring out the metal.
My particular TK M4 cartridges appear to be bottoming out in the Detonator Chamber and are being crushed during firing between Bolt and Chamber bottom. When I've time I need to sort that out obviously.
The Hexagon cut cartridge piston is designed to allow more smoke to vent past and out of the barrel. It works very well but the 0-Rings don't have much support and split quickly despite being cleaned and oiled with Silicone after every shot.
0-Rings can be bought easily enough though.

As great as the TK M4 is, I am disappointed at the lack of cartridges available. If I'd bought the gun as a display piece, it wouldn't be a problem. But I do enjoy firing my models. Firing performance is the best I've seen since the steel MGC 68 MP40 and STEN MkIII models but why does TKoba make more cartridges for it?

Back to top Go down
c0lt

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 12:20 pm

ljerr2 and Cerwyn: Thank you for your infomations.

I'm stuck now... I dont know what to do.

About the cartridges, why MG-props says they have them in stock? I can't buy the m4 with 10 cartridges... Shocked

I'm off topic but is it true that no AK47 or AK47ish is reliable? Question
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi Colt

The cartridges Jay shows in stock are Brass MGC .223" , NOT Tanio Koba Aluminium Alloy. They probably would work in the M4 but they will be heavier. MGC cartridge Pistons are slightly longer than Tanio Koba's so you may need to modify the Detonator Pin to suit.
I have not tried MGC cartridges in my TK M4 personally for fear of any damage to TK's Centre Fire Pin system.
It would be worth asking Jay if the MGC cartridges will work without having to modify anything.

Jay's price of £585 for a New, Latest Production run model is surprisingly low considering the first models made retailed at approx. £750  Shocked ...

If Jay has genuine TK spare magazines in stock I'd suggest you use the. Very rarely will real magazines work in Modelguns without modifications. Real mags often are different sizes to the Model version too.

Hudson AK47 cap firing models never were, sadly, known for good firing performance. Since Hudson's closure, cartridges for them are no longer available. The Advertisements for Hudson's last production of AKs described them as best as display models as firing performance was poor.
It IS possible to improve firing but the modifications required are extensive including making new bolt, centre fire conversion, chamber and feed ramp etc etc.

Back to top Go down
c0lt

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Thank you very much Cerwin for those precious informations,

Sorry for the late reply.

I have so many expensive thing to buy and it's always hard to buy military stuff. I mean nice stuff.
Red dot, surefire lamp, nice handguard, nice stock, Chest rig, body armour, Ear Pro. The money is not the only factor i have to deal with out of stock products or wrong color or not shipping to my country lol!

I am very glad that i registered to this forum. You people are very nice and helpful. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 3:58 pm

You are more than welcome c0lt Very Happy

We are very happy to help you whenever we can. Thank you for your kind words.

Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 4:00 pm

Best forum on the planet because of the people!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 5:25 pm

its very very annoying that he brings out some wonderful models and rounds then stops making them after a small production run. expensive to buy then obsolete in weeks, its not right to be honest and i am surprised the Japanese put up with it.

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 am

claymore wrote:
its very very annoying that he brings out some wonderful models and rounds then stops making them after a small production run. expensive to buy then obsolete in weeks, its not right to be honest and i am surprised the Japanese put up with it.

I have to agree with you claymore. It's really frustrating to find something that works well only to find the item's obsolete within weeks

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 12:52 pm

I would like to add a few things.

Obviously mine is from the second production run as the manual says 2014 - 9.

Tanio Koba M4  WfFYgLvh

Tanio Koba M4  OIkZVjLh

I just tried to replace the handguards by standard mil spec handguards. I have a very worn pair from military surplus that fit fine without any modifications.

Tanio Koba M4  MBQhxBph

Tanio Koba M4  9qDa6BYh

It is the same with the stock and the carry handle. Real parts will fit without any modifications. Regarding the stock please not that you will need one designed for the mil spec receiver extension (buffer tube). Colt uses the mil spec tube, so my Colt stock fits fine.
(commercial tubes have a diameter of 1.168”, while the Mil-spec is slightly smaller and has a diameter of 1.148”).

Tanio Koba M4  EiOuom6h

Tanio Koba M4  MrHzbH9h

Tanio Koba M4  Pz7kdwrh

Tanio Koba M4  IBH4bgdh

Comparison of magazines (EMAG and TK):

Tanio Koba M4  FPmqetnh

Tanio Koba M4  UfmGFSIh

Tanio Koba M4  Js3uq3Nh

Tanio Koba M4  EPNyu2Hh

EDIT: broken picture links replaced and a few added.

Last edited by MadMike on Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:46 am; edited 5 times in total

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tanio Koba M4  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4    Tanio Koba M4  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tanio Koba M4
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next