MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
S. Thomas

Number of posts : 41
Location / Country : West Midlands, UK
Registration date : 2009-09-05

How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge? Empty
PostSubject: How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge?   How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can shed some light on how the Marushin M16/XM177 actually fires its cartridges? What confuses me is the design of the cartridge and its lack of a primer type insert (as found on the new MGC m16 and Tanio Koba M4 cartridges). From what I can see, there doesn't appear to be anything stopping the cap from being detonated as soon as the bolt pushes it into the chamber. I know there's a firing plate in the bolt that the hammer hits but what does this actually do? Is there something in the bolt that prevents the cartridge from being pushed all the way in until the hammer hits it? I figured out how the new MGC M16 does this but the Marushin is still a mystery. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://bstb-film.com
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge?   How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Classic PFC system:
- bolt (or rather transfer bar inside it) pushes entire cartridge onto detonator pin in the chamber,
- detonator pin pushes insert inside cartridge,
- insert pushes cap onto firing pin at the bottom of the cartridge,
- hopefully cap is ignited ;-)

After cartridge is chambered, there should be a gap between cap and firing pin. This depends on correct detonator pin size/position, correct chambering etc. If this is wrong, model will work as automatic fire right after chambering the first cartridge, as detonator pin pushes too far inside cartridge ;-)

PS: as for the pushing action - hammer falls on transfer bar installed in bolt, which does the actual cartridge pushing. What I wrote earlier did not mean that the whole bolt pushes cartridge.

Last edited by smootik on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge?   How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Smootik's given a great description how any closed bolt PFC type modelgun cartridge is ignited.

If you think of the Marushin M16/XM177 cartridges as a "Side-Fire" type rather than MGC / Tanio Koba's "Centre-Fire" type it might help clarify it a little more.

Marushin use the striker bar to push the entire cartridge deeper into the chamber forcing the cartridge hard onto the Detonator Pin. MGC and TKoba's Centre Fire systems rely on the hammer striking a firing pin which then pushes the "primer" and cap hard against the Detonator Pin.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
S. Thomas

PostSubject: Re: How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge?   How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Ah, I think I get it now lol. I guess this means the position and length of the detonator has to be extremely precise to prevent premature detonation then. Very clever system really. Thanks for the info guys. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge?   How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 12:48 pm

No problem Very Happy You're right, Detonator Pin length is critical. Too long a pin would ignite the cap too early. Too short and it wouldn't ignite at all.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
S. Thomas

PostSubject: Re: How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge?   How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 1:02 pm

Looking at some pictures of the Marushin xm177 bolt, does the design of the extractor actually allow it to move forward with the cartridge when it's pushed in further?
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge?   How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Yes extractor moves in and out Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge?   How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How does the Marushin M16 actually fire a cartridge?
Page 1 of 1