MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cartridge Help (.223 CP)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ammo
Ammo

Number of posts : 28
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2009-10-17

Cartridge Help (.223 CP) Empty
PostSubject: Cartridge Help (.223 CP)   Cartridge Help (.223 CP) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi all.

Well, thanks to a member on these boards I was able to get my MGC M4A1 Carbine up and running again after replacing the missing little part. I ordered a load of cartridges as well for it (took over a month to turn up but I got them in the end) and now, looking at them, am a little lost...

Some of the cartridges came with pistons(?) that had rubber O-rings on them but there were others that did not although I suspect they work in exactly the same fashion? I have included a picture below in case someone can shed some light on this (and on whether they should be loaded into the cartridge in the same way as the rubber O-ring type).

Cartridge Help (.223 CP) Pistons

Also I found, when firing the old cartridges I have, that sometimes they don't always fire and was wondering if this is because I am not loading it correctly or not pushing the cap down the right depth, I didn't get a loading tool for it so have been improvising and just pushing the cap down as far as it'll go - is this correct?
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Cartridge Help (.223 CP)   Cartridge Help (.223 CP) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 9:15 am

Inner without an o-ring requires either a used cap (with a hole) or a special plastic part to act as a plastic "o-ring".
You can see such part here, but it's easier to just use spent caps:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t2478-hudson-sten-mkii-madsen-m1950
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Cartridge Help (.223 CP)   Cartridge Help (.223 CP) Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:47 am

Hi Ammo,

This drawing copied from one of smootik's posts should also help hopefully:

Cartridge Help (.223 CP) Cartri11

The pistons without the rubber 0-rings are shown as CP-BLK.

The spent cap will need some silicone grease on its edges to give good gas-seal and ensures the piston travels along the cartridge without tipping over.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Ammo
Ammo

Number of posts : 28
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Cartridge Help (.223 CP)   Cartridge Help (.223 CP) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 2:26 am

Thank you very much guys - AWESOME help. Wink I still have the rubber type inners from the old carts that came with that M4 so I may try changing the inners over for the rubber ones and see how that works.

Also Cerwyn, are you familiar with the disposable carts and the PFG models they can be used with? Have been looking at one am very much interested in getting (have emailed them asking about prices on the disposable carts and if they have any of them in stock) but thought I'd see if you may have one that you've used/tried and what you thought of it.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Cartridge Help (.223 CP)   Cartridge Help (.223 CP) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 am

Glad to be of help Ammo, that's what we're here for Very Happy
Inners fitted with 0-rings in good condition will provide a better gas seal than the old type that require an used cap so if you've got them, use them instead. Incidentally you can buy new MGC inners complete with 0-rings if you need more.

As for disposable cartridges, the only ones I know of are made by WaShan. They come in a variety of calibres. John at www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com can give you more info about the range available. I have tried the 9mm version in my WaShan Beretta M9 Dolphin. To be honest I think I may have had a bad batch because they missfired regularly and when they did fire, power was poor when compared to the MGC P220 cartridge I normally use in this model.

These are better suited to pistols rather than SMGs like MGC MP40, Stirling, etc. The heavier bolts in these models crush the plastic internals of the cartridge.

I have heard good reports about the WaShan disposables though which makes me think I was unlucky with the box I had.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cartridge Help (.223 CP)   Cartridge Help (.223 CP) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cartridge Help (.223 CP)
Page 1 of 1