MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?. Empty
PostSubject: 9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?.   9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 11:30 am

Hello All,

Could anybody clarify please what the differences are between 9mm cartridges on sale?
In particular what are the differences in overall length between MGC p220 as used in SIG220 and modified Marushin UZI's and the MGC 9mm Beretta type as will be used in the new all steel Sten?

If length's the same are they interchangable or not?

I'm confused by what appears to be a vast range of different 9mm rounds out there, they can't ALL e unique can they?

Thanks!

Cerwyn
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: 9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?.   9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 11:31 am

Post by Mark

Ok, the first simple rule in modelguns is to understand that there are no simple rules.

Since the modelgun manufacturers had many variances in their "9mm" cartridge lines. I will attempt to detail the differences of the most commonly used "CP" style cartridges as you soon will see, they in most cases, don't follow any set pattern.

They come in many sizes and lengths. The 9mm cartridges are typically 9.5mm in diameter but, there are variances as in the MGC HW Beretta/KSC M93R/Hudson Sten cartridges their diameter as well as their length is almost identical.

9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?. Misc123028

9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?. Cartridgelineup1

Pictured here are (Left to Right) are the most commonly used 9mm cartridges

1.Marushin MP40/Uzi 9.5x27 cartridge.

2. MGC Sig 220 9.5x27 cartridge.

3. Hudson Sten 9.5x28 cartridge.

4. MGC/KSC M9/M93R/M9 "desert storm" Italian commercial M92F etc. 9.73x28 cartridge.

Note that their length as well as width changes along with the extraction channelure.

Now, the fact is that even though the Marushin MP40/Uzi and the Sig 220 cartridges are slightly shorter they can be used as long as the proper detonator is supplied.

The point is, if the cartridge can fit in the magazine, the chamber as well as the bolt face and, if it feeds properly it can be used with a matching detonator.

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: 9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?.   9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 11:31 am

Hiya Mark
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!
No simple rules sums it up well. I bought an all metal UZI which had been modified to use SIGP220 rounds. These are meant to perform much better than the Marushin MP40 carts as they use the 0 fring sealed inner piston. The detonator has been shortened (I think) to accept the p220 carts. The MP40 ones won't fire in it now so I ordered some more 9mm MGC's without specifying the type. My own stupid fault for not checking and assuming that all MGC 9mm rounds were the same.
The Beretta type that arrived are longer, but the nose is a different profile too. I didn't risk trying them in my UZI as I was worried I might break the gun.
I've ordered one of Doc's Steel Sten's which will use theBeretta type round.
Looks like I might need 3 different 9mm rds but I'll check first using your advice.
Thanks for your help, I don't know what I'd do without this forum!
Cerwyn
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?.   9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

9mm Cartridges... Length Differences?.
Page 1 of 1