MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC M16 Repair Advice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JatiMatic
JatiMatic

Number of posts : 84
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2013-07-16

MGC M16 Repair Advice Empty
PostSubject: MGC M16 Repair Advice   MGC M16 Repair Advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 2:21 pm

Hello Modelgun friends.

I am visiting this forum periodically for some times and read the interesting posts.

But now it is time for my first post because I have a problem and need your advice:

My MGC M16 needs to be repaired at two points (please watch the attached pics).

The upper receiver is broken where the pin, which connects upper and lower, is placed.

And the metal hand gear, which moves the carrier bolt, is also broken.

I think to fix the upper receiver is the bigger challenge, because there is not much “meat” for a glue surface.

Anyway: How can I fix the problems? What would you recommend? And what glue is best for the job? Maybe I can order replacement parts? Where?

Thank’s in advance for your help and effort and kind regards.

JatiMatic

Sorry, no pics; because I have to wait 7 days.
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16 Repair Advice   MGC M16 Repair Advice Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Hello!

I think you are talking about the old zinc version. I don't think it is possible to glue that part, as the zinc is very brittle and the part will see a lot of stress there. I also doubt if zinc can be welded. I have seen very skilled men welding aluminum though ...

Pics sure would help.

I am not sure what you mean with the second part. Is it the charging handle?

Maybe you can get spare parts for accaptable prices in Japan. Maybe contacting forum member Shazhib could be worth a try.
Back to top Go down
JatiMatic
JatiMatic

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16 Repair Advice   MGC M16 Repair Advice Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 7:47 pm

Thank's for your reply Mike.

Yes, to fix the broken part from the upper receiver will be a real challenge. Only glueing will not work because of the stress (as you mentioned). But I have an idea in mind to make the modelgun ready again:

I will glue the broken part and I will additionally install a longer ejector (Auswerfer). The ejector will outstand 5 - 10 mm and will extend in the lower receiver (the lower reiceiver will get a notch at this point). That should stabilizise the connection of the reiceivers. Drawback of this repair: The assembling will become a little bit umcomfortable and you can't "tilt" the gun by removing only one bolt.

BTW: Yes, what I mean with the second part that needs a repair is the charging handle.

I wanna upload some pics, but as a brand new member I have to wait seven days till I am allowed to show pictures Sad  . Maybe the administrator could do an exeption?

JatiMatic

Last edited by JatiMatic on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16 Repair Advice   MGC M16 Repair Advice Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 10:52 am

Hi JatiMatic

Welcome to the Forum Very Happy 
It IS unfortunate that the Host Server that accomodates our Forum insists that new members must wait 7 days before they can post photos or links. This is to to stop Spam and undesireable posts and images appearing on the Forums.

I can help you however. If you could e-mail me your photos please, I will ensure they are included with your post 

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
JatiMatic
JatiMatic

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16 Repair Advice   MGC M16 Repair Advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Here are the pics:

MGC M16 Repair Advice Dsc036832djcapu541

MGC M16 Repair Advice Dsc05875s3upvw6izo

MGC M16 Repair Advice Dsc058760honf9e82g

JatiMatic
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16 Repair Advice   MGC M16 Repair Advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Okay, the pics sure do help. You have a MGC M725, M16A2 Carbine, made from HeavyWeight plastic in the early 1990s. I had the same model break at exactly the same spot. I was able to find a spare upper receiver with the help of our Japanese forum members. They may be able to find you a charging handle too.

The receiver is plastic, the charging handle zinc die cast.

I have never seen a charging handle break. Maybe the model was not assembled or closed correctly, so when pulling the charging handle the buffer could not retract into the buffer tube, breaking the handle and the lug.
Back to top Go down
JatiMatic
JatiMatic

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16 Repair Advice   MGC M16 Repair Advice Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Thank's Mike for your help.

I can imagine, that those replacement parts are pricey; so a replacement is ultima ratio for me.

First I will try to repair the parts.

The local gunsmith meant that the charging handle could be maybe fixed.

With regard to the upper receiver: I will glue the broken part and will try to build a longer ejector.

When the chips are down I will try to get replacement parts.

Will keep you up to date.

Jati
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16 Repair Advice   MGC M16 Repair Advice Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 6:47 am

As for your question:

Your model is for sure a HW Heavy Weight plastic model. MGC used to make metal M16 models in the late 1970s, early 1980s. They look different, like this:

MGC M16 Repair Advice MGCM16E1

MGC M16 Repair Advice MGCM16E1-2

Note the strange looking "forward assist", which is in fact an allen screw to connect lower and upper Receiver.

From the late 1980s to the early 1990s MGC made more realistic looking M16 models from shiny black ABS plastic, like this:

MGC M16 Repair Advice M656-2-1

MGC M16 Repair Advice M656-1-1

A lot of variants, A 1 stock or carbine stock, M16 or shorter barrels, with or without ("Air Force Version") Forward assist ...

From the mid 1990s MGC made HW plastic M16 Carbines like M16A2 Carbine M725, M733 Commando and M4 variants. Yours is a M725 (A1 rear sight, case deflector, large round Forward assist knob). I have the same, mine broke at the same spot.

MGC M16 Repair Advice BrokenM725-upper2

MGC M16 Repair Advice Model725-4

MGC M16 Repair Advice Model725-2

You should have this model:

MGC M16 Repair Advice EGun-M725-2

The M725 came in black in the 1990s and grey/metal in early 2000.

MGC M16 Repair Advice MGC-M4-versions

From top to bottom:
M733 M16A2 Commando, M4A1 Commando, M4A1, M4A1 RIS. All made from 2004 to 2007. black HW plastic.

The material is plastic, with Zinc powder, thus it is quite brittle.
Back to top Go down
JatiMatic
JatiMatic

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16 Repair Advice   MGC M16 Repair Advice Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Thank's for the tour d'horizon.
BTW: Wow! Nice collection!
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16 Repair Advice   MGC M16 Repair Advice Icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 2:58 pm

No problem, I am sorry I can not help you with the broken part, really.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16 Repair Advice   MGC M16 Repair Advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC M16 Repair Advice
Page 1 of 1