MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Barrel repair

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fight Designer
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Fight Designer

Number of posts : 240
Location / Country : Eugene, OR, USA
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Barrel repair Empty
PostSubject: Barrel repair   Barrel repair Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 7:29 pm

Found out the barrel of my MGC M4 broke during the last move. Seems repairable, through a mix of glue and wrapping in something. Was wondering about that fiberglass tape repair stuff maybe? It'll be under the handguard anyway.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.fightdesigner.com
Brough2
Brough2

Number of posts : 89
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2017-02-03

Barrel repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barrel repair   Barrel repair Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Is there any way of grafting on a light weight Aluminium Airsoft barrel onto the MGC, where did it break?
Back to top Go down
Fight Designer
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Fight Designer

Number of posts : 240
Location / Country : Eugene, OR, USA
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Barrel repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barrel repair   Barrel repair Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Middle of the barrel, basically. Plastic's a bit brittle with age I guess. Not sure about the airsoft barrel... but might be able to get away with a mix of glue and a pvc or copper pipe sleeve or something. Will need to see if the diameter is anything standard.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fightdesigner.com
Brough2
Brough2

Number of posts : 89
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2017-02-03

Barrel repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barrel repair   Barrel repair Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 7:58 pm

The sleeve idea sounds like a good fix, maybe JBweld + a sleeve from the rear to front of the barrel under the handguard, might even make it more rigid.
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Barrel repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barrel repair   Barrel repair Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2018 9:44 am

I realized the the spot where the two barrel parts are held together by a roll pin is the weakest part, eventually starting to wobble after handling the gun.

For cleaning and maintaining it is not necessary to take the barrel apart. I'd recommend to drive the tiny pin holding the gas tube out of the front sight and pulling the gas tube back through the upper receiver. The barrel can then be unscrewed with the supplied barrel wrench without taking the barrel itself apart.

See here: https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t3120-barrel-getting-loose-wobbly-on-mgc-m4a1-and-similar-mgc-models

The sleeve idea sounds good to me. If done carefully it can resemble the later heavy barrel used in the real M4A1 (8Ace has done a similar modification making a new parrel part to a HobbyFix M4A1 barrel, making it much stronger and adding realism).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Barrel repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barrel repair   Barrel repair Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Barrel repair
Page 1 of 1