MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Empty
PostSubject: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 11:38 am

There are some interesting developments in Cartridge design and operation going on in Japan at present. Youtube linked me to this Blog http://tkred.militaryblog.jp/ describing a simple modification to Marushin's MP40 9mm cartridge. As this video shows, results are louder firing sound and more smoke.

Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Marush15

The modification requires replacing the original dished "washer" with a thicker version that also has a wider hole drilled through it

Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Marush16

According to the Blog, samples were distributed as free gifts with Modelgun monthly magazine "MJ". Both Aluminium and Brass samples were provided. No dimensional details are given unfortunately but they do look quite easy to make and experiment with.

Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Dscn3610

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.

Last edited by Cerwyn on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:31 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : photos amended to Servimg)
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 12:48 pm

Very interesting, especially that it seems to be large-scale development, if carts were distributed with a magazine.

I wonder if that washer is the only modification.

Work on improving effects is probably finding balance between leaving just enough force for correct blowback and cartridge feeding, and letting the rest of smoke/sparks out of the cartridge.

Thanks for catching that (and Tano's carts for Tanaka) Cerwyn!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Reading the Google translated Blog, the only modification is swapping the washer for the new type.
Only the new washers, one Aluminium, the other in Brass, were provided as free samples.
Hopefully they'll become readily available as the increased firing sound level and vented smoke seem worth the bother

The thicker washer would only be suitable for Marushins' cartridges in Open Bolt firing models. If they were used in Closed Bolt models the cap would most likely fire prematurely as soon as the bolt rammed the cartridge into the chamber 

Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Very interesting! Nice find!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1238
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 2:59 pm

Cerwyn, if you have wa shan 9mm inners they are deeper than marushin so should give you some idea. Looking at the vid i wonder if they used MGC caps for the first half of the mag and marushin for the 2nd.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 4:00 pm

claymore wrote:
Cerwyn, if you have wa shan 9mm inners they are deeper than marushin so should give you some idea. Looking at the vid i wonder if they used MGC caps for the first half of the mag and marushin for the 2nd.

Claymore, thanks for the tip  Exclamation I have some WaShan 9mm inners here. If the hole drilled through them is wider too then it's "all systems go"  Very Happy 

Reading the Blog again, he says that Marushin caps were used throughout the video BUT as we all know Marushin caps would be throwing large amounts of sparks out of the ejection port using standard, unmodified Marushin cartridges   scratch   
Even if he used MG caps in the first half, then Marushin in the 2nd, there's a big difference in noise levels using the new washer / inner isn't there  Question 

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1238
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 4:58 pm

To be honest mate i cant really hear a difference, but that might be due to laptop speakers, have to give the main PC a go and see
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 5:05 pm

claymore wrote:
To be honest mate i cant really hear a difference, but that might be due to laptop speakers, have to give the main PC a go and see

Claymore, it could be your speakers  scratch Listening to the vid on my laptop there's a clear difference in sound

Back to top Go down
akazz
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 73
Location / Country : uk
Registration date : 2012-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 pm

nice difference for just the one small mod would be great to get hold of some of these or even the measurements so i can go and hound someone with metal working facilitys Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitimeMon Jan 13, 2014 9:48 am

akazz wrote:
nice difference for just the one small mod would be great to get hold of some of these or even the measurements so i can go and hound someone with metal working facilitys Very Happy

I'm sure a bit of experimenting would soon show us the optimum sizes. Personally, I've a feeling the drilled hole width would make the biggest difference.
I'll have a play about with this when I've a chance     Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 10:00 am

For more information and discussion, please refer to:-

Start on Page 2 ....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"   Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marushin MP40 Cartridge Modification "Roaring Plugs"
Page 1 of 1