MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tanaka 3rd Gen G17

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
joelhall

Number of posts : 18
Location / Country : Buckinghamshire, England
Registration date : 2014-10-13

Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Empty
PostSubject: Tanaka 3rd Gen G17   Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi guys,
I'm an independent filmmaker looking at buying the above pistol for a new project. Couple of queries:
Is it possible to get a metal slide, recoil guide rod and barrel assembly, and how does this affect cycling and action?
What are the best cartridges to use?
What are the best caps to use for realistic firing?

Thanks in advance,

Joel
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanaka 3rd Gen G17   Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi Joel,

Welcome to the Forum Very Happy

As far as I'm aware, metal slides and barrels aren't available for Tanaka's cap-firing Modelgun.

The best cartridges to use would be Tanaka's new Evolution 9mm re-useable rds and 5mm caps from either MG or Marushin

Unlike GBB Airsoft G17s, for which metal parts are available that are made in HK e.g. no-one has come up with the same for the cap-firers. Possible reasons are that Airsoft's market is huge, it's illegal to have caps in HK, and Japanese law prevents the fitting of metal parts to modelguns originally made in ABS and HWABS 

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
joelhall

Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanaka 3rd Gen G17   Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Hey, thanks for the welcome and reply. As luck would have it I spoke to the supplier yesterday (John at Plug Fire Cap Guns ) and he says they can do a custom "polish" on the slide which helps a lot (we need a close up of the pistol in the film).  I noticed there were was an overseas site offering aluminium slides it claims would fit, but they were too shiny.

Thanks for the feedback about cartridges. I've been a little overwhelmed by the different brands and lack of information. I shall order a box of these with the pistol.
You've also given me an idea for a market for the film industry, but I'm a pretty poor businessman Very Happy
Strange actually, I'm familiar with Japan's firearms laws (I'm a competitive rifle shooter) but caps being illegal in HK seems pretty draconian to me!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanaka 3rd Gen G17   Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Hi Joel,

It's my pleasure to welcome you aboard Very Happy

You'll be in good hands with John at PFCGUK, he's a genuinely nice bloke and great to deal with.
He does take on "customising" work for customers that want it and the work I've seen all looks good.
It's possible the Gen3 Tanaka G17 comes with Evolution cartridges (5 with the gun usually) already. The Evolution are a slightly different design that improves performance. Another box should fill your magazine up nicely

Draconian's the word, HK collectors of modelguns can only look at their guns, not fire them. Japanese laws have tightened up a lot since about 1977 regarding manufacturing replica modelguns.

I'd suspect that the metal slides you saw were for Airsoft GBB models. There are several firms making parts like that. They could perhaps be made to fit but it'd mean a load of work converting from Airsoft to Cap-Firing spec. 

Back to top Go down
joelhall

Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanaka 3rd Gen G17   Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks again Smile

I. Find it strange to have such tight controls (I say this in the middle of posting on Firearms-UK on Facebook), and strange that our laws are restrictive to the extent they are. The law has no problem with me owning firearms and ammunition, I can go to any RFD and buy a non-FAC air rifle or pistol. But if I want a toy airsoft gun... Apparently I need to jump through hoops.

We now face unannounced police visits to check on our rifles in the name of "crime and terrorism". Yet this only applies to those legally holding firearms. My .22lr bolt action would be worth precisely nothing in the even t of a criminal enterprise or terrorist plot!

Ah well enough ranting. I just want to make a good film Smile

Glad to be here Smile

Joel
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanaka 3rd Gen G17   Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2014 11:16 am

It's been said by wiser men than I that "the Law is an Ass" at times and it certainly is as far as Replica Imitation Firearms are concerned Rolling Eyes

Good luck with your Film project, don't forget that if you need any information or advice then don't hesitate to ask Very Happy

Back to top Go down
joelhall

Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanaka 3rd Gen G17   Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks. I dare say I shall have more questions, given I'm new to this... and blimey is it well-made!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tanaka 3rd Gen G17   Tanaka 3rd Gen G17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tanaka 3rd Gen G17
Page 1 of 1