MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1968 & 1985 GUNS magazine articles on replica guns

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
pedal2metal
pedal2metal

Number of posts : 53
Location / Country : PA, USA
Registration date : 2015-07-01

1968 & 1985 GUNS magazine articles on replica guns Empty
PostSubject: 1968 & 1985 GUNS magazine articles on replica guns   1968 & 1985 GUNS magazine articles on replica guns Icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2015 2:07 pm

I found this recently and thought I would share it with everyone interested in PFC guns. It's pretty unusual for a US gun magazine to do a story on replica guns. Here is the link to my Flickr page   https://www.flickr.com/photos/pedal2metal/sets/72157656073826536

I also found in a 1968 GUNS magazine story featuring T. Nakata that could very well be the first story published on model guns in America: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pedal2metal/sets/72157655813855738

Last edited by pedal2metal on Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

1968 & 1985 GUNS magazine articles on replica guns Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1968 & 1985 GUNS magazine articles on replica guns   1968 & 1985 GUNS magazine articles on replica guns Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 10:09 am

What a great find!

Very interesting article giving modelgun background:
- "master gunfaker" is an interesting play on words, seems the press used same tricks back then!
- initial angle is that models are "counterfeits", "fakes" and "fraud". Made sense from US point of view, as there was no need to make such detailed models in the west at the time.
- there is a photo of Mr Nakata handling a 1911 model with a wooden stock (a la Mauser Broomhandle) and a silencer. The first such that I saw!
- Mr Nakata started 7 years before article, so in 1960 (!), and apparently made one-off (?) modelguns well before his later larger scale production.
- article writes about an accident with a modelgun conversion: a "mentally disturbed teenager with a grudge against a businesman" replaced Nakata Walther P38 barrel with a real one, manufactured a firing pin and obtained a bullet. Upon firing modelgun fell apart, but bullet hit victim. It was at this point where police warned Nakata, and he redesigned model to have a non-removeable barrel.
- there were numerous competitors making realistic-looking replicas,
- models were designed by Noboru Mutobe, who previously worked on Mitsubishi Zero fighters.
- he created them by going over old USA books and army manuals to recreate the design.
- master model was provided to subcontractors who mass-produced models.
- Mutobe planned to create 500 models of various firearms for display only (not for sale) as a collection to be later provided to a museum (Japan Defense Agency Arms Museum). Any ideas on what happened with that?
- creating of a master modelgun took about a month.
- it's mentioned modelguns are not available in USA, but can be obtained by contacting Mr Masami Tokoi, 28-3 Hongo I-chome, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan.

Very early history there!
Back to top Go down

1968 & 1985 GUNS magazine articles on replica guns
Page 1 of 1