MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tanaka M9 Heavyweight

Go down 
+2
smootik
ljerr2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Empty
PostSubject: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2015 10:35 pm

I've always been a fan of the M9.  Tanaka re-released the MGC M9 with some minor changes.  One fairly significant change was a switch to a 5mm cartridge system.  I think I can switch detonators and shoot MGC/KSC 9mm carts, though. I will try that some time in the future.

Pretty decent muzzle effects for this type of cartridge design, I think.  Reliable and surprisingly loud, as well.  Except for the darn tiny o-rings on the cartridge pistons, this model is enjoyable to shoot!  Cool

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 9:39 am

I didn't like M9 until I got MGC one ;-)
Those o-rings are pure trouble, most flimsy part of the design I think.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Another great video  Very Happy

From what I've heard, the Tanaka Evolution 9mm cartridges are much kinder on those 5mm 0-rings. Have you tried them?

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 5:34 pm

I've seen them, but didn't know what was different? I will check into it! Thanks Cerwyn.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2015 7:46 pm

Your lucky to have that as i have never seen any for sale, i heard Tanaka had brought one out but no one ever seemed to be selling, you dont even see them come up 2nd hand.
The evolution round is a big improvement, the old style round was to powerful and broke most Tanaka guns after a few mags and as you note the seals get blown off and dont normally last more than 2 shots. The new evolution round is a little less powerful so gentler on the guns and the the piston is slightly redesigned so now the seal does not come off on every shot (you will still on occasion get one come off). You might prefer the power of the old round but it made all Tanaka guns delicate to shoot the new round is much better.
Back to top Go down
shazhib
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
shazhib

Number of posts : 323
Location / Country : Tokyo, Japan
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2015 12:49 pm

Nice video!

As claymore mentioned, those "evolution" series from Tanaka is meant to be less powerful (gentle to a gun) in order to avoid an easy breakage. I heard they change a spring rate as well. The latest "evo" from Tanaka is Beretta M92/M9. Tanaka is one of few maker which is good on firing, not so much worry on spare parts.

S
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 4:15 pm

I first thought the breakage issues were only associated with the Glock series, but I see Tanaka has released a M9/92 model in the Evolution series. Does anyone have any knowledge of the first version Tanaka M9/92 breaking? The new version aesthetically is less appealing to me as it looks gray as opposed to the black color of the old model, which is more realistic.

I like this older model! Very Happy I am going to try some of the evo carts in it to see what happens. It appears dimensionally that the carts will be the same - same deto, etc. Possibly as Shaz suggested different spring rates in the slide.

If anyone else has already experimented, please chime in!
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Here's a little update on the Tanaka M9 HW.
I got a hold of some C-Tec W-cap carts for it.  These are 2x7mm caps.

Nice and loud!  Good muzzle flash - noticeably more than a single 5mm cap.

You will notice in the vid that I didn't space myself far enough from the wall as the carts were ejecting with more force than I expected, causing them to rebound into the shot and bounce off of the gun!  jocolor

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2016 10:35 am

Thank you for this great video! Very impressing and realistic.

This M9 kicks butt!

Any signs of extra wear to the carts from two 7 mm caps?
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2016 3:27 pm

Hello friend!

The carts seem fine, but this was their first rodeo! The design reminds me of the Marushin PFC design, so the blowback pressure isn't as violent as it would be with the CP-HW piston design.

I don't imagine there will be any increased wear on the model either because of this same reason.

Time will tell! I hope to give them some good use in the near future and will report back if I notice any issues!

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2016 3:40 pm

Thank you very much.
I think it is time to take my old MGC HW M9 out of its box this evening ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka M9 Heavyweight   Tanaka M9 Heavyweight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tanaka M9 Heavyweight
Page 1 of 1