MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders

Go down 
+3
claymore
mystikchepas
ljerr2
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Empty
PostSubject: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 12:25 am

Hi All -

These are just a few still frames, but thought I'd share the results of my experimentation this weekend.
The gun is a Tanio Koba M4 10.5" fitted with a Zeke chamber and hollow detonator using Tanio Koba cartridges with the Zeke inner pistons.

Not all rounds were of the same flash magnitude, as my loading was inconsistent.  However, there was a tremendous amount of flash with the powders. The still frame pics seem to exaggerate the flash a bit, as it happens so quickly in real time.

First still frame capture is the gun using no powders.  It has modest flash, but it is noticeable, especially on full auto.
Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Img_1710

This second image is using some prop powder I was able to obtain from a friend.............
Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Img_1710

This third image is using Aluminum powder.  I didn't realize this was all you needed to do to get some serious flash!  I used some dark powder I purchased from ebay.

Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Img_1711

As you can tell, I have a thing or two to learn about loading the powder quantities.  Loading the powder is a pain unless you have a tiny lab spatula type of tool (which I don't have).  I'm guessing getting the amounts right shouldn't be too hard with a little more experimentation.

The powders do make a mess of the gun though, with lots of residue left behind.  I imagine some of that was from my overloading, but some is likely a byproduct of the powder use.  I took everything apart and cleaned it well after this firing session.  

Thought you all might be interested in the results...........
Back to top Go down
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 139
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2013-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 9:11 am

This is a very interesting experimentation !
Which powder is legal ?
I mean that you can buy without any licence or whatever.
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 2:40 pm

The Aluminum powder can be purchased here in the US without any special license or permit.  I literally just got on Ebay and ordered some.  It should be noted that aluminum powder is no joke!!!  Even though it is just powdered aluminum and wouldn't seem to need special care, it must be treated as a potentially very reactive/combustible chemical.  Powdered aluminum is a common ingredient in pyrotechnics/fireworks!!!!!!

Here's a link about aluminum powder handling:
http://www.eckart.net/fileadmin/eckart/Service/GDA_Alupulver_Safety_engl.pdf

When I did research online about "flash powders", I found that it seemed the general recipe is aluminum powder and potassium perchlorate.  Add flame to this mixture and you'll get a flash and boom.  Well, I figured we already have the ignition source, and boom with the caps, so all we need is the metal fuel of aluminum to get the flash effect.................and it really works.

It is legal to purchase these chemicals in the US, but I don't know about anywhere else.  Again, if you buy these ingredients, be prepared to handle and store them cautiously.  I've read that aluminum powder can be very dangerous if not treated properly.  If you decide to experiment with it, be careful and do your own research and investigation!

I forgot to mention in the original post, I also tried a powder called Lycopodium, which is used as a flash powder by some magicians.    It did NOT work for me in the cap/cart environment.
I wish it would have worked because it is the safest powder alternative.
Back to top Go down
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks a lot for these precious information !
I think I will try to expriment aluminium powder (if this is legal here in France)
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1236
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Wow,that is some flash especially out of a long barrel (at least longer than a pistol). I have to say i am very envious of the rather expensive tanio koba M4.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 1:19 pm

That's some flash you achieved there!

You can make a powder dispenser quite easily by taking a drinking straw and cutting one end at about 45 degrees. This makes a perfect scoop which makes getting equal quantities of powder relatively easy.

Keep up the good work!  

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeSun Aug 27, 2017 6:53 pm

ljerr2, can you post the full length videos ?
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 12:10 am

Here is the one with Al powder...........

I only loaded 5 carts while doing the experiment.  I am thinking of trying it again with more consistent powder measurement.  Also, I had one misfire - not sure why, but maybe an old cap.  I've had some of my caps for many, many years!

Back to top Go down
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 8:22 am

Yes that's really nice ! cheers
Back to top Go down
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 8:38 am

I finally ordered aluminium powder !
I will make some test and share it Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders 3632253013
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 12:26 pm

Looking forward to seeing your results!
Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders 3632253013
What models and cartridges are you going to try?

Back to top Go down
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeThu Feb 15, 2018 12:37 pm

I order 500g of aluminium powder.
It cost me 30 € shipping included (bought online in a french shop).
I think I will try it with my Tanaka Glock 17 with Tanaka EVO carts.
This modelgun is the one of my collection which works the best (never had any misfire, etc)
rendeer
Back to top Go down
dvdripped

Number of posts : 70
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2018-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeMon Feb 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi all

I have purchased some prop powder which is like a silver colour - can anyone possibly do a short tutorial on how to add it to your flame caps at all - i`d appreciate any help possible.

I take it the M4 is an open barrel, unlike the Marushin uzi which has some sort of bypass barrel - i`m presuming that prop powder would be wasted in the uzi and more towards hand guns etc.

Thank you for your help all

Smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 am

Hi dvdripped,

Here's a copy of the instruction sheet I received with some Flash Powder from Japan. Take note it shows both CP blowback and Revolver cartridges:

Less is More with flash powder, only a small amount is needed for good results. Generally, the shorter the barrel the better unless you have Zeke or similar cartridge inners and hollow det pins.

The Marushin UZI doesn't lend itself to muzzle flash thanks to the gas by pass system unfortunately.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2018 12:27 pm

I have ordered micro spoons on ebay : 3mg, 10mg and 0,05ml.

Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders S-l1600

Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders S-l1600

Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders $_61

We'll see the result then Smile

Last edited by mystikchepas on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dvdripped

Number of posts : 70
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2018-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2018 1:37 pm

That's a brilliant idea pal :-D

Please let us know how you get on
Back to top Go down
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2018 9:17 am

I made some test with aluminium powder only a few days ago.
And it was a big failed, no flash...
Some of the caps wouldn't ignite (too much powder ?)
I used it with standard caps not flame caps Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Sad
I think the failure I had in the video above was due to too much powder and not a faulty cap.
Can you share the specifications of the powder you used?  
I know when I researched it before there were different particulate sizes, with the smallest size being best for this type of application.  I think it was called dark aluminum Indian blackhead powder, or something like that.  It specified it was for use in pyrotechnics, I believe.

The last time I tried the powder was a short while ago with some P220 carts in an uzi. I used some really tiny plastic spoons for measurement and only used the smallest amount of powder. The powder worked fine, but I'm still working on getting muzzle flash out of the Uzi...................all the effects were out of the ejection port and only a tiny spark from the muzzle. I'm not giving up on that project. Hope to get back to it later this year with some new ideas!
Back to top Go down
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Here is the link with the specifications (scroll down) but it is in french :

https://www.mon-droguiste.com/aluminium-en-poudre,fr,4,ALUPOU015510LVE.cfm

This sentence "Pyrotechnie : composant de certains feux d'artifices." means is is used as a part of fireworks.
That's why I chosed it.
By the way I used 0,05ml spoons.

scratch
Back to top Go down
scrupule45

Number of posts : 9
Location / Country : Japan
Registration date : 2018-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 1:39 am

awesome.. i want a m4 but too expensive...
Back to top Go down
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 8:17 am

Me too but same problem : expensive.
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2018 3:27 pm

Yes, the Tanio Koba M4 IS expensive............but I think it is worth it! If you want a firing M4 model, there is no comparison. It just works perfectly!

Probably won't be available much longer, either.
Back to top Go down
Chris Rush

Number of posts : 72
Location / Country : 19352 Pennsylvania United States
Registration date : 2015-03-07

PostSubject: Aluminum powder/muzzle flash   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2018 7:51 am

Great video thanks for sharing!

You've indicated that using aluminum powder leaves residue in the model gun after firing. Could you let us know if a model gun would sustain accelerated wear or damage as a result of using aluminum powder?

Thank you
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2018 10:15 pm

The carts end up a little dirtier and so does the barrel and chamber, but in the models I've tried I haven't noticed that the actions are really any dirtier. This probably depends somewhat on the model you're firing, though.
Back to top Go down
Chris Rush

Number of posts : 72
Location / Country : 19352 Pennsylvania United States
Registration date : 2015-03-07

PostSubject: aluminum powder/damage to model gun???   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2018 4:34 am

Lots of realistic muzzle flash without any damage to the model gun. That's a great deal!

Thanks for the response.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders   Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tanio Koba M4 Zeke setup with different powders
Page 1 of 1