MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Empty
PostSubject: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi Guys - A couple quick videos of my Tanaka G17.  It wasn't perfect out of the box, but a few minor tweaks and now it is a sweet firing model and one of my favorites.  Very Happy

Here's one using the regular Evo carts:

I also tried some Mulberry Field carts (basically the same as the MGC M9 and KSC M9 carts) with a MF deto.
It's good to have options!  
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 am

that does perform nicely  Very Happy

It'd be interesting to know what needed tweaking to get it just right. There may well be more Tanaka G17 owners out there in need of some tips.

Thanks for posting your videos J  Wink

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Cerwyn -

Thanks - I always enjoy seeing the models firing especially well - like they should! Smile Since I've "tuned" this G17, I've put 50+ rounds through it without a single hiccup. Pull the trigger as fast or as slow as you want and it goes bang!

I am happy to post up videos to the forum to share. I think it helps show newcomers what these models are all about, and maybe helps us oldies see what's out there, too. Cool I hope others keep posting up there vids and reviews as I have other models I'm interested in acquiring, too, that other members probably have in their collections!

I'm sure I've posted this before, but there are only a few auto/semi-auto models I own that worked 100% right out of the box. All of the others needed some sort of tweaking to get to firing the way I want.

This G17 was one of those that fell into the category of not firing well out of the box. In fact, I lost a couple of barrels and then a slide before I tore into this one to see what the heck was going on with it. That was all over a span of maybe only 40 rounds. I was initially very disappointed with this model, as I wanted a firing G17 in my collection, but not if it was unreliable. I had heard they were good firing models, so maybe I got a bum one - kind of my luck, maybe?

I'll try to get around to posting up the tweaks in the "Modifications" section sometime soon. They were pretty simple and anyone can do them if I can do them! Razz

Hopefully it might help someone else save a slide or barrel - or both!!!! And more importantly, help them enjoy firing their G17 without worry of it breaking right away! Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun 3632253013

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Thanks very much lj,

I well remember pondering whether or not to buy my first modelgun, a Marushin MP40. Atthat time £300 was a lot of cash. Then I watched a Video! Utterly convinced then I HAD to buy it.

I've several models I plan to video, hopefully in the not too distant future.

I'll look forwards with interest to your Tanaka Glock modifications. Barrels and Slides aren't cheap, poor performance is dissapointing, alol & any help and guidance gratefully received!  

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
mystikchepas
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 139
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2013-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2017 6:18 pm

My G17 would probably need some tweaks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2017 11:39 pm

The Evo rounds looks to work a lot better, i would also be i interested in the tweaks you made as my G17 does not seem to work that well, though has not broke yet.
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeSat Dec 30, 2017 11:48 pm

It seems to me that the Evo carts pack quite bit of power, sound and flash. Perhaps more than the KSC or Mulberry Field 7mm rounds.
Anybody else think that?

I'll try to get some pics and info posted soon about what I did that made all the difference for my G17.

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 12:10 am

The original Tanaka rounds rounds Packed a hell of a punch, would work great in some metal models but too much for plastic models. The new Evo rounds to me seemed to be weaker and not so violent on plastic models but fired fine. The new new Evo rounds with the seal i dont really know as i have not fired enough but to be honest the original style Evo seemed fine to me not sure why they needed to change it again.
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 12:20 am

I haven't fired the new Evo2 carts, but the Evo carts were a nice improvement from the original Tanaka 9mm carts - if only for the inner detonator o-ring setup. I think the Evo cart power level is about on par with other 7mm carts like the MF or KSC/MGC.

A lot of parts to each cart, though.............. That's one thing I like about the TanioKoba open or EasyCP rounds - fewer parts and much easier cleanup with the anodized aluminum it seems! cheers

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi you got a tanaka g17? thats awesome!! is the slide an hw? to extend its life, i suggest you use evo carts only. the hw slide of tanaka glock is prone to break pretty easily with the constant use of 7mm CP cartridges. the rear back of the slide wherr the back plate is really weak. i have a tanaka hw glock34 and im too scared to fire because of that especially since ive broken 2 hw slides before. if the slide is an abs then no worries though.
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeSun Dec 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. I will watch the slide at that area - mine is HW. I don't think I can find an ABS version any longer as they have been out of production for some time as I understand.

Not firing a model because you are worried about breakage? That's not an option for me! Very Happy
I'm going to fire away!!! Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun 3632253013
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 12:26 pm

Thank you very much for this great video. I have really enjoyed watching it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun   Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tanaka G17 Evolution modelgun
Page 1 of 1