MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Firing vs non firing?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
randyrhoads

Number of posts : 10
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2018-01-05

Firing vs non firing? Empty
PostSubject: Firing vs non firing?   Firing vs non firing? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 9:40 pm

I’m super confused about how you tell if a model fires PFC or is just a dummy prop. Is there some type of guide posted here?

From what I understand not having to two top screws, and having SMG stamped near the mag well is an automatic “non fire” but vice versa doesn’t auromatically mean it DOES fire. How do you know?
Back to top Go down
Browning
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 119
Location / Country : Cambs, UK
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Firing vs non firing?   Firing vs non firing? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 pm

As I understand it, some MGC PFC firing models (there may have been other makes) were deliberately "deactivated" for import to the USA (some of our regular US correspondents would know for certain)

I believe that alterations were made to the bolt and the chamber to make them non-firing. However, I also understand that these changes are reversable. Some of the links I provided in earlier responses to you, detail others efforts to turn these "deactivated" versions into firing models.

Other parts of the forum cover the general history of modelguns and the various solutions the manufacturers took to make them realistic. The majority of my collection of modelguns were made from Kits (99% Marushin, with one MGC kit - my MAC 11) In the 30 odd years that I have had them, I only (relatively) recently discovered this community and the mine of information contained within it. All my Marushin kits are an earlier type of PFC (side fire, where a block struck the rear of the cartridge to force the cap onto the detonator pin within the barrel) Latterly, they are more like centrefire with a pin striking the rear of the cartridge. The common thing with these models is the Detonator pin is nearly always in the chamber. The cartridge section of the forum will give you a rundown of the various types, from simple 3 piece cartridges to the more complex "evolution" cartridges from Tanaka, made of up to 7 components.

HTH

Andy
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Firing vs non firing?   Firing vs non firing? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 11:58 pm

Andy is right.

Most MGC M1921s imported to the US were deactivated and made to be "dummy" only. Usually that can be reversed, but it takes parts, some skill and money to do so.

The location of the receiver screws and the SMG stamp have nothing to do with whether that MGC was or is a firing model. It only has to do with the age of the model and whether is has an open barrel or not.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Firing vs non firing?   Firing vs non firing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Firing vs non firing?
Page 1 of 1