MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW

Go down 
+3
claymore
JohnnyV
MadMike
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Empty
PostSubject: MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW   MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 am

Maybe you know the feeling. One of your models is sitting in its box for years and you don't take it out often, but sometimes, out of the blue, it comes to your mind and puts a smile on your face. I have quite a few of such models stored away.

I would like to add a few pictures of my beloved MGC M16A2 Carbine today. I got that approx. 13 years ago when DEN Trinity in Hong Kong sold them for 143 USD, which was a bargain price for sure!

This was my second modelgun rifle/SMG and my first MGC model. It means a lot of golden memories. I would like to dedicate this short review to Claymore. Thank you, mate!

It was the last version of this model (manual says April 2003) before MGC made their M4A1. I really miss MGC (or new MGC / Taito).

Although some details may look odd, it is an exact copy of a 1980s Colt M16A2 Carbine. They used features like the upper receiver with A2 case deflctor but A1 rear sight, thin "pencil" barrel with partially closed A2 flash hider, big round forward assist, A2 grip, delta ring A2 handguard retaining ring and so on. It took me a lot of research to find this out.

But M-725 may be wrong, as the M-725 was the three-round-burst version, and the M-723 the full auto version.

The model feels and looks quite realistic, although it is a little light (unloaded 2.2 kg) and the HW finish may be too bright and shiny grey. Anyway I have seen another one that was quite realistic dark grey after handling and oiling it a lot.

As most of MGCs M16 series, no matter if made of ABS or HW plastic, it fires well out of the box. I don't fire it often as the HW material is brittle and quite prone to breaking. And I learnt that carts and parts like the hammer wear quite fast.

It came with two additional information sheets in Japanese, but I was never able to find out what they say. Maybe one of our Japanese members can help here. I like the comic illustrations of their manuals very much.

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW 9yi4qpsh

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Sxzm1Kdh

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Bi5Ekhqh

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Jpgkb5Wh

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW TtsCQblh

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW DEm8tp0h

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW DbsoU7Ch

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW RA3oM9th

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW V7OuFoWh
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW   MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2018 4:10 pm

Nice pictures of a nice gun Smile Thanks!

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW   MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2018 11:20 am

It was always a pleasure to help MadMike. $143 god the days of cheap models and caps, well gone now unfortunately, very nice model though, even nicer for that price.

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW   MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2018 12:47 pm

And we used to have a good £-$ rate as well Crying or Very sad

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
Brough2
Brough2

Number of posts : 89
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2017-02-03

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW   MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2018 10:26 am

Very nice variant of the M series carbine Markus, one that I've always liked, a combination of old style fixed carry handle and shell deflector. There have been many discussions about how real life operators wanted this type of upper receiver on the M16a2 rifle, with the carry handle but keeping the A1 type rear sight over the newer multi adjustment A2 style, not prone to be knocked out of zero.
It is a pity that manufacturers like Marushin didn't make one of these using alloy metal, making it more usable and less fear of breaking something.
I think that MGC may have loosely copied the M725-C8
Made under licence by the Canadian company Diemaco, safe/semi/auto A2 lower (but A1 on your model), A2 upper with A1 rear sight and A1 "pencil" barrel?
Or someone in their office didn't do correct researching and did a miss-match as Colt also did throughout the evolution of the AR/M series.
Everything being said, you have a wonderful model of one of Colts nicest carbines.
Nick

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
Chris Rush

Number of posts : 72
Location / Country : 19352 Pennsylvania United States
Registration date : 2015-03-07

PostSubject: Great looking model gun!   MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2018 8:00 am

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing! You've got a beauty. The detailed photos, especially the close ups were excellent.

MadMike likes this post

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW   MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2021 10:01 am

I just stumbled upon this thread and I thought I wrote it a few months ago, maybe a year. Then it hit me like a hammer: It is over three years now. Man, I really must be getting old as time is rushing so fast.

smootik and Deerhunter like this post

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW   MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2023 8:17 am

I met a man who was with the US Army in Operation Desert Storm. He is a humble man who was honest enough to tell me that he was not fighting a lot, but mostly working in rear echelon areas during the operation. His unit was stationed in Germany and when it was relocated to the USA he decided to leave the Army and stay in Germany.

When he saw and handled the model he said “Oh, it’s a Scud Hunter Carbine”. I had to look this up and learnt that Special Forces units that hunted mobile Scud launchers together with SAS teams used this “COTS (Commercial of the Shelf)” Carbine in exact this configuration (A1 style “Field” sights, case deflector, A2 grip). The story behind the Scud hunters is really interesting.

He said the MGC model feels a little light, and he had only handled and shot the full size M16A1 and A2. But it would be a really nice and realistic model and he would like to hang one up on his wall to “scare the shit out of his nosey neighbors”.

Cerwyn likes this post

Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW   MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2023 10:59 am

Tomio from SHOEI in Japan told me what the extra instruction sheet is saying:

Please note

Use MGC Teflik for maintenance...
Teflon® blended lubricating spray

Many of our products use plastics such as ABS and polycarbonate.
If you apply metal oil to these materials, it will not only melt or crack the surface, but it will also attack the inside deeply and may even cause it to fall apart.

Be sure to use MGC Teflic for maintenance. With TEFLIC, you can use it with confidence without such troubles.

Machine oil cannot be used.

Never use oil for metals, including motor oil, sewing machine oil, spray-type lubricants such as CRC (rust remover/lubricating spray sold in Japan), and rust/stain removers.

Please note that we may not be held responsible for repairs or replacements of malfunctions caused by the use of these oils.

Thank you, Tomio!

We had discussed before that some oils and lubricants may damage the already brittle HW plastic.

Cerwyn likes this post

Back to top Go down
Steelwheel24

Number of posts : 5
Location / Country : Montgomery/pennsylvsnia
Registration date : 2022-11-08

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW   MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Icon_minitimeSun Oct 08, 2023 1:35 am

I just stumbled upon this thread.
Thank you for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW   MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC M16A2 Carbine M-725 HW
Page 1 of 1