MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC Display Thompson 1928.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

MGC Display Thompson 1928. Empty
PostSubject: MGC Display Thompson 1928.   MGC Display Thompson 1928. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 8:05 pm

*** Originally posted by figaro ***

Hey guys,

I have a display MGC Thompson that I'd like to value. I guess some of these were prepared for the US market at one time, by grinding the base of the bolt at an angle, putting a stopper in the chamber and completely removing the internal workings from the drum mag.
It cocks and fires, but that's it.

Anyone know what one of these might sell for?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MGC Display Thompson 1928.   MGC Display Thompson 1928. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 8:06 pm

*** Originally posted by interceptor ***

I don't really know, maybe a pic would help much ?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MGC Display Thompson 1928.   MGC Display Thompson 1928. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 8:07 pm

*** Originally posted by spencerman ***

What about the barrel, is it open or blocked?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MGC Display Thompson 1928.   MGC Display Thompson 1928. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 8:07 pm

Steel chamber insert has been removed by drilling out small screw that held it in place, but barrel is still blocked.

Guess it would need a new bolt, firing pin (for chamber), and mag.
Just a guess.

Am I the only person to have encountered one of these "butchered babies?"

I am sure they are considerably less attractive than most model-guns, but just curious as to it's value, I bought it in a bulk lot of prop weapons.

As to pictures, I will try, but it's outwardly identical to any other MGC of this model.

Thanks, JJ.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MGC Display Thompson 1928.   MGC Display Thompson 1928. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 8:08 pm

*** Originally posted by chenkenichi ***

Well, I many reenactors only want these for display and for use in parades. This is how my reenacting group leader got to know about model guns. He just wanted an M1A1 Thompson for parade and bought a Hudson one for about $500. I am not sure if it works though. Another guy in my group traded a real steel M1903 for an MGC Thompson which I think does not fire PFCs anymore.

Its worth more to reenactors than to model gun collectors as reenactor's main focus is a nice display piece rather than shooting it. It's safe to say that if you put it on the WW2 reenacting forum you'd get about $450 or so. It may or may not be worth that much but whatever people are willing to pay is what you'll get.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: MGC Display Thompson 1928.   MGC Display Thompson 1928. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Thank you, that's interesting information, appreciate your help.
I will put some photo's up, I also want to show this zinc/metal MP40 that has no markings on it. See if I can learn something about it's origins.

I must admit a lot of the fun for me is finding these pieces in strange places and learning about them.

Thanks again.
JJ.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

*** Originally posted by mark ***

I currently have one of these late 1980's MGC Thompsons that had the cut bolt, (with the clearly non-functional display only, stamped steel extractor) solid chamber piece and it too, was missing the original MGC magazine. I simply replaced the cut bolt with a new production MGC bolt that i got from Francky. I then replaced the solid chamber with a reproduction of the original CP chamber/detonator that Francky can get for you too..And then, i bought a 39 round drum magazine from Dentrinity for it. It works great now!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC Display Thompson 1928.   MGC Display Thompson 1928. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC Display Thompson 1928.
Page 1 of 1