MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Collecting caps, varieties.

Go down 
+2
ljerr2
oozlum
6 posters
AuthorMessage
oozlum
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 150
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2019-12-08

Collecting caps, varieties.  Empty
PostSubject: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2021 10:06 am

Hi everyone. As well as shooting caps I like to collect, or at least have varieties of them. I have a bunch of vintage-ish paper caps for toy pistols, and some model gun ones. The model guns ones are below - mostly from the last few years, but a few older ones from John of plugfirecapguns. The bottom right one is obviously not model gun, but old British ones in the style of earlier model guns ones, albeit on a sturdier backing.

Does anyone have historical information on model caps, or even what is available on the market today? I have been limited to what is available in the UK.

Anyone else do this? Or just me 🙂?  While I’m here, if anyone does have older caps that they would part with (model gun or other) please let me know - this isn’t a ‘wanted’ post, but I’m always interested.

Stay well all.

Collecting caps, varieties.  B9a23210
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Hey that's pretty cool.

Other caps I've seen include some branded as Marui and also Kokusai.

I have some Kokusai 7mm caps that I haven't been able to try yet.

oozlum likes this post

Back to top Go down
oozlum
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks for replying. If you get a chance to post a pic of the Kokusai ones that would be cool, if convenient.

I’ve noticed I’ve included MG CAP 7mm twice in the picture!
Back to top Go down
ljerr2
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 571
Location / Country : Iowa, USA
Registration date : 2008-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 4:01 am

Here you go........
Collecting caps, varieties.  Img_0510

oozlum likes this post

Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2021 7:42 am

Nice collection.

8ace
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 3:03 pm

These are caps by Marui, for their range of modelguns. You only get 60 caps in the box.

Collecting caps, varieties.  Marui_10

Collecting caps, varieties.  Marui_11
Back to top Go down
oozlum
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 3:27 pm

Thanks Claymore, fascinating (to me). Long barrel on the P38 too!

SunHill999 likes this post

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 6:14 pm

Yeah, the long barrel does come up for sale on occasions on yahoo in Japan. The P38 was a blow back model, they did an automag and M712 but i dont know if they are blowback, the also did some revolvers 44 mag for one, all in kit form and were cheap. Only availble 2nd hand now and i never see the caps for sale these days.

Back to top Go down
Browning
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 119
Location / Country : Cambs, UK
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2021 11:46 pm

claymore wrote:
Yeah, the long barrel does come up for sale on occasions on yahoo in Japan. The P38 was a blow back model, they did an automag and M712 but i dont know if they are blowback, the also did some revolvers 44 mag for one, all in kit form and were cheap. Only availble 2nd hand now and i never see the caps for sale these days.

I have the M712 and it is blowback and has selective fire..

claymore, SunHill999 and oozlum like this post

Back to top Go down
shazhib
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
shazhib

Number of posts : 323
Location / Country : Tokyo, Japan

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 11:50 am

hi
Bit of input.
4 boxes on a left hand side, still on production. Although, it is different package, different brand, those are made by company name "Kaneko" 5th from a top on left is good old paper cap.
On a right side, top one says "7mm model gun cap". "Kanecap" is something Kaneko sold on its own brand. 3rd one also says "7mm model gun cap", this is a current version of Kanecap and this is still on production. Interesting one is the 4th one with "First....". This is for a cap to be used for start "bang" gun (starter) at track & field. Before a plastic cap been introduced to a market, people were using the paper cap, but if you want to fire a long gun (like Thompson), you need to fill 10 or so caps which is quite annoying. Then, some tried to use this starter cap. But I heard it was later only to be sold for those who works for educational institutions (I believe this is also made by Kaneko), need to show some kind of proof that you actually work for one of those.

The one what claymore posted was for Marui plastic model gun (you need to glue and assemble by yourself). But they weren't sold for long time.

I wish if Marui could make any modelgun sometime again...

S

Browning and SunHill999 like this post

Back to top Go down
oozlum
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 12:44 pm

shazib, thank you, absolutely fascinating. Does that mean that Kaneko are the only cap manufacturer in Japan? And are the caps the same despite the brand, or do the brands have ‘recipes’? On other posts people seem to notice a difference in sound.

I collect other types of cap (I will post some pics) and do sometimes wonder if, despite branding’ caps are really made by one or two companies around the world. 🤷🏻‍�

Finally…claymore, can I buy those caps from you? 😇

Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 1:52 pm

oozlum, PM me your address and i will send a pack to you.

oozlum likes this post

Back to top Go down
shazhib
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
shazhib

Number of posts : 323
Location / Country : Tokyo, Japan

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 2:29 pm

hey,

I think...Kaneko is the only one now, I guess there were couple companies made the caps for modelgun back in 1970/80's, they are no longer in modelgun cap business. I heard, Marushin cap has more sparks (that is what others says, have not really compared them by myself), assuming there is the recipes.

S
Back to top Go down
oozlum
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 6:24 pm

That is very kind of you claymore.

shazib, thank you for the additional information. Some sort of scientific testing is in order! 🙂
Back to top Go down
oozlum
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2021 10:13 pm

As an aside I have taken a photo of a bunch of paper caps (not for modelguns to be fair) from around the world, of various ages. What ages is hard to tell, but some evoke nostalgia for me (70’s +), and others are, I imagine, from before my time or from other countries and poorly stored 🤷🏻‍�😊

I don’t know an awful lot about them, but I do know that those that work are louder that what is available today!

At a stretch these are relevant for cap reloading…but they may be historically interesting for some.

Collecting caps, varieties.  5bd7f510

claymore likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collecting caps, varieties.    Collecting caps, varieties.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Collecting caps, varieties.
Page 1 of 1