MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Making 7mm caps

Go down 
+2
claymore
Punisher
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Punisher
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 111
Location / Country : usa
Registration date : 2017-07-28

Making 7mm caps Empty
PostSubject: Making 7mm caps   Making 7mm caps Icon_minitimeFri Dec 24, 2021 11:18 pm

I modeled up a 7mm MGC cap in Fusion 360. I'm trying to load it with prime-all. I've tried a few, but none of them have ignited.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5173750

Prime-all can be shipped without restrictions because it isn't considered an explosive. It comes with 4 separate bags of powders. The powders get mixed together to make the priming powder.

I'm not entirely sure why they aren't igniting. I do have a few theories. Hopefully with some more testing I can get it to work.

When I loaded them I filled to the top with powder then added acetone and tamped down. I waited 24 hours like the directions said. I also tried a week later. That should have been more than enough time to dry. It might be because I have too much powder.

Some people who have used prime-all for reloading primes have topped them with a paper cap. That might help with the ignition.

It might be that the plastic is too soft. The cap might need to be made of metal like a percussion cap. It might also work with a metal disk on the inside.
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Making 7mm caps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making 7mm caps   Making 7mm caps Icon_minitimeSat Dec 25, 2021 1:49 pm

never heard of this stuff, very interesting just watched a youtube vid and it works well in a real gun. I highly doubt that this can be bought in the UK and if it can i would think you would need a firearm licence to buy it.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

Making 7mm caps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making 7mm caps   Making 7mm caps Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2021 1:37 pm

Interesting compounds.

My initial guess would be the surface area of the piston pin doesn't give the required force to set it off. Some have used it for percussion cap reloads, but that will be metal (cap) to metal (pin) when struck.

My second thought would be "how dangerous is this stuff when mixed into the quantities needed for a 7mm cap" Explosion risk when dry and the chemicals given off when ignited.

Stay safe.

8ace

Cerwyn likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rob du Jour

Number of posts : 46
Location / Country : netherlands
Registration date : 2016-03-16

Making 7mm caps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making 7mm caps   Making 7mm caps Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2022 10:19 pm

I wonder if prime all is available in the EU.
Also it is a good thing to save fired caps for a later refill.
Back to top Go down
uhohzeeree

Number of posts : 4
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2022-05-10

Making 7mm caps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making 7mm caps   Making 7mm caps Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2022 3:53 am

I've done something similar with the exact cap model

instead of using prime all, I've used the powder in paper caps, perhaps adding a layer of the powder could ignite?
Back to top Go down
c_alexandersen
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
c_alexandersen

Number of posts : 292
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2011-11-30

Making 7mm caps Empty
PostSubject: Making Caps   Making 7mm caps Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2023 7:57 pm

I came across this clip of a guy making caps for a real steel muzzle loader

Wondering if it could work in a model gun ??
There might be a need to run a test if 9 charges is right
Anyone feel like testing ?

uhohzeeree likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Making 7mm caps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making 7mm caps   Making 7mm caps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making 7mm caps
Page 1 of 1