MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do I need to know about orange tips?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

What do I need to know about orange tips? Empty
PostSubject: What do I need to know about orange tips?   What do I need to know about orange tips? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:52 am

****Originally posted by tebor****

Hey everyone, I'm starting to get an interest in model guns. I have two western types my father got awhile ago. However, I'm a little more interest in the more modern hand guns.

However it seems that the only way to get decent ones is by importing. To my knowledge there's a risk of confiscation unless there's an orange tip on it and the labels on the side have been removed. Every website I've visted says that they put an orange tip on the guns.

My question is what do I need to know about the orange tip? Is it removable (yes, it voids warrenty and I hear that you could remove it with paint thinner on some models). Is there one site that it's better to get it from than another one?
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know about orange tips?   What do I need to know about orange tips? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:52 am

****Originally posted by mark****

Hi Tebor,

Welcome to the boards! The orange paint on the muzzle is required by federal law for saftey purposes to identify a replica from a real firearm (or so they say anyways) The orange tip isn't supposed to be removed due to this law but they do wear off and the plastic tips fall off too..Also, the earlier (pre-1988)imported modelguns didn't require the orange muzzle markings.

Yes, all modelguns, airsoft guns and replicas of modern guns (post-1898) have to have the orange muzzle markings.

The trademark issue is another sticking point too, as all U.S. registered trademarks have to be covered and or removed as they are considered contraband and they are often seized by U.S. customs agents..

All of the sites that I buy my modelguns from are all good and they have experiance with the proper trademark removal/covering techniques.

And they paint, place orange stickers or plug the muzzle with a plastic orange plug
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know about orange tips?   What do I need to know about orange tips? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:53 am

Hi

What the "problem" is when the trademarks are concerned, is that companys in the U.S. have protected brand names like Gibson, Rollex, Harley Davidson,Colt,Smith&Wesson,Browning etc. And they protect these trademarks as much as they can in international courts around the world.

Most of these court rulings are ignored in countrys that feel they should be able to produce what they want and they don't often sell out side of their countrys.

These illegal trademarks where often placed on really badly made products and sold as the real item.

Sometimes, in countrys like Japan, they will license the use of an official trademark to a company that offers enough for the license like Western Arms, as it's a big deal in Japan to have the "correct" markings as they add to the realism..But, there is a "catch" they are licensed to sell the trademarked product only in Japan!This situation happens all the time and gets alot of people in trouble with U.S. customs.

So, although these trademarks are licensed they still are not legal to import into the U.S. unless they are removed or defaced...
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know about orange tips?   What do I need to know about orange tips? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:54 am

****Originally posted by gpwpat****

Ok can they cover up the markings with somthing like cheap bondo so you can remove it later?

I know on wwii jeeps if you order a replacement back pannel with either ford or willys on it they bondo over the name and paint it so it makes it in. then you just have to remove the cheap non sticking bondo and refinish and you are on your way.

I think you have to have the orange tip to sell the gun.

after you own it you can remove the orange.
Back to top Go down
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know about orange tips?   What do I need to know about orange tips? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:54 am

Yes, they can cover the trademarks with non-harding putty like model airplane putty. This is a common importer "trick" they used to completely remove the trademarks before importing..And yes, you have to have the orange muzzle markings to sell any post 1898 firearms replica to the public.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to know about orange tips?   What do I need to know about orange tips? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do I need to know about orange tips?
Page 1 of 1