MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putting it to good use: attn figaro

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Putting it to good use: attn figaro Empty
PostSubject: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:19 am

Post by figaro

Remember those Surefire lights i bought from you??

I'm trying to put'em to good use...
Putting it to good use: attn figaro Fixadqd7

Me on the left (with a smug smile) a friend is using the universal light as i fell in love with the other one Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_smile
I'm very pleased with them both!

Weapon is the Swedish modified FN FNC, called AK5C in Swedish lingo, picture is taken just outside Prishtina, Kosovo, yesterday.

Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_smile

The holy quest for modelgun information and knowledge will never-ever end!!
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:20 am

Post by figaro

Nice!

Glad they are being used.
(Kimbo in Atlanta, your blanks are going to good use this week, too.)

I did a little film called "The Doorman", ten years ago, I used FNC's for that, they have a cool look, I couldn't find blank adapted FAMAS'. But your version's are very different to the ones I rented.
(I hope you don't have to use them for anything other than training.)

Ciao,

JJ.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:21 am

Post by MadMike

A really nice picture and an impressing "mean" pose. I suppose there are not many out there wanting to get in your way, mate.
An interesting gun too. I have not yet seen this FNC version. Thumbs up from me.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:21 am

Post by 2sharp

Good that our gun got some attention Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_wink It is very different then regular FNC's, as it is made and modified here in Sweden i'd be quite surprised if it showed up in any other place really.

This latest version was fielded in the beginning of this year and was much anticipated.
Dunno why i got that snarl? Not too fotogenic i guess... and maybe i got cold feet too? Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_smile

Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_smile

The holy quest for modelgun information and knowledge will never-ever end!!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:22 am

Post by ricks

Pardon my ignorance, but is the gun real steel? Full auto?
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:23 am

Post by figaro

I have not seen that version of the FNC here, just in pictures (SAR magazine did a piece on it).
The FNC's I rented from Gibbons (Gun rentals) were pre-1986 transferable platforms, so pretty basic.

I feel very old looking at the guns, I trained as a cadet in the Uk with a Lee Enfield N0.4, and the Bren gun for machine gun patch. When I left they were just changing to the single shot bullpup (Cadets never got the L1A1 at all).
A lot has happened to combat rifles since the No.4, ha.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:23 am

Post by HueyJ

Goodness those are shiny!

Looks like the old Brit SUSAT has finally been retired then? Or do you still have designated riflemen with them?

Back when I used pop down to Gracanica for the odd sauna at Camp Victoria or to get a little practice in on Razorback the only guys (and gals) sporting those red dot sights on their AK5s were our friends inside the cosy little compound on the right as you went in the main gate. I seem to recall that their AK5s were much, much, shorter though.... similar in length to the piece of German engineering we had.

It only seems like yesterday I was paying Albanian children a few euros to pick up spent brass and return the op ammo they'd pinched the last time we were on the range. Happy days, tell me what number KS is SWEBAT on now?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:25 am

Post by 2sharp

ricks wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but is the gun real steel? Full auto?
Well yes, real steel full auto it is! At least i sure hope it is?? Shocked
I did read that article in SAR actually, i was a happy subscriber to MGN back in the days, should really get to subscribe to SAR but haven't gotten my ass of the wagon, yet.. Smile
HueyJ, HueyJ, we seen to have been walking the same beat quite a lot? Smile
The SUSAT should be retired, all the Ak5's hasn't been traded in yet, back in Sweden most of the regular army still get issued the old one, should be changing pretty soon i hope.
There might be a magnification thingy supplied later, not decided yet as far as i know. Magnification thingy: http://www.aimpoint.com/products/aimpoint_product_lines/aimpoint_3xmag
Saunas are still here, as is Razorback, and they still pick up our brass Wink
The Ak you remember is the Ak5D, the shortest of them all, they didn't have the modifications that are seen on these, ther's a new version of the Ak5D that is called "Ak5D Mk2" that has the same modifications as the C version, mighty cool i might add Smile
We're on Ks16 now, damn, time flies.. i was in Bosnia when the first one went up, it doesn't seem as long ago... shit, i'm old! Very Happy you and me figaro!!
I haven't been down here since about 5 years ago, MUCH have changed since then, for the better. I was quite surprised when we got to drive around and look at my old AO's.
Smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:25 am

Post by figaro

I did a movie in Zagreb (way North of you I guess, and a different country, now), in 1989 with Jadran Film, great people, I genuinely had a good time.
God awful what happened, heart breaking what a war can do to a place.
I do remember visiting the pre-war military arsenals outside of Zagreb though, our prop guy rented directly from the military at that time.
Scary huge warehouses, stacked and packed, ready for what was happening next...

Stay out of trouble.
*The movie for any serious buffs was "Honor Bound." with Tom Skerrit and John Philbin.

JJ.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:26 am

Post by jim

One question regarding theatrical weapons figaro,

When you mentioned that some of the guns used were borrowed from the military then what had to be done to the military weapons - did you attached the blank adaptors (the "choke") which are detachable?

Here in HK the prop gun suppliers have to fix the choke on the bore (permanently of course due to the law) so I want to find out if the adaptors can be removed after been used for filming (technically - without damaging the guns and once removed it can fire live ammo again without problem)...thanks!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 am

Post by figaro

Misunderstood your question.
I have no idea how the armourers are adapting their weapons in HK, Jim, sorry.
maybe the adapter is welded into place and then the barrel also welded, but even this would be fairly easy to convert backwards.
No answer for you, sir.
Engineering isn't my strong point, I was never an armourer, and don't pretend to be.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:27 am

Post by 2sharp

figaro wrote:
I did a movie in Zagreb (way North of you I guess, and a different country, now), in 1989 with Jadran Film, great people, I genuinely had a good time.
God awful what happened, heart breaking what a war can do to a place.
I do remember visiting the pre-war military arsenals outside of Zagreb though, our prop guy rented directly from the military at that time.
Scary huge warehouses, stacked and packed, ready for what was happening next...
Stay out of trouble.
*The movie for any serious buffs was "Honor Bound." with Tom Skerrit and John Philbin.
JJ.
Yes, it is terrible... quite weird that you were there in those store houses just before the war...
Will stay out of truble!
I'm quite sure that i've seen live guns easily modified with a barrel plug, if i recall correctly the weapon was an AK-47/AKM that just required the barrel nut to be removed, the plug inserted into the barrel and then the nut was replaced, presto! a blank adapted firearm that looked live.
I'd say it's quite a safety hazard, but of course convenient.
I think i read this in Machine Gun News ages ago...
Sorry for not being able to give a more accurate description...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 am

Post by BRMoore

Magpul on the mag as well:)
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:29 am

Post by BRMoore

and if I'm right your vertical foregrip also can house spare batteries Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_wink
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:29 am

Post by figaro

I think Jim was also asking, and correct me if I'm wrong, what it would take to take a permanently blank adapted HK film weapon and convert it back to live fire?

We rented APC's, jeeps, trucks and tanks as well as Yugo soldiers on that movie, I think the firing guns all came from Bapty in the UK. I liked the country and people a lot, they love movies; but in the three months we were there the dollar tripled in value against their currency, all the signs were there. I lived on Leningrad Ska, in Zagreb, walking distance from the Hotel Intercontinental, I think it all suffered quite badly in the fighting.

The so called "assault weapons" (although none are select fire) in our US armoury (all pre-ban legal, FN, AK, AR, IMI series) are all able to shoot live again, once the choke is unscrewed and removed from the end of the barrel.
No receiver, spring or internal modifications were necessary for these models (some required a thread tapped back a few inches internally from the muzzle, although even this can be avoided in guns where the choke is a specifically sized washer-type choke drops between the flash hider and end of the barrel.)
The 1919 had a case-stop welded in place because blanks are significantly shorter than live rounds, cartridge length is very important in a belt fed, so will no longer feed live ammo, although this can be done non-permanently.

What are the Swedish issue LMG and GPMG and handgun at the moment, any pics?

Happy Thanksgiving gang!

Dobra Dan,
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:30 am

Post by 2sharp

BRMoore wrote:
and if I'm right your vertical foregrip also can house spare batteries 😉
Nope! It just holds the attachment screw for itself so to speak Smile
Oh, i might've misunderstood the blank vs. live firing weapon then!
Interesting detils regarding your US armoury.. i'd love to have my own armoury Smile
Swedish issue LMG/GPMG would be the FN MAG/M-240/Ksp58B, we also use the SAW-249/Minimi PARA/Ksp90B on squad level.
Pistol is the Glock 17 and 19 (19 was originally for fighter pilots, but can be found in general use in the airforce) It is labeled P88 (17) and P88B (19) Recent batches has the newer frame with rails an fingercutouts, and is called P88C and P88D if i recall correctly?
There are also a few old pistols that has the new frames but old slides as the frames has been damaged or worn and as far as i know the older type frame isn't manufactured anymore.
Should be able to shoot a few pics and post'em Smile
Dobor dan!!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:31 am

Post by jim

Thanks Figaro - I wanted to find out that if the law permits, can the "theatrical" blank adaptors (something like a choke fitted inside the bore just in front of the chamber) be attached without having it welded into place...and you're spot on!

Those guns modified as props in HK - don't even think about converting it back to live firing - it's technically impossible (similar to what the modifications have been done on the .45s even in the US - Kimbo explained it all before) and it'll break the law as well!

And then...even if HK filmmakers have to shoot a film outside HK they'll hire the people and the guns from HK as well - which means even if they're on location in London they'll still use the guns and the handlers from HK suppliers instead of hiring some from Bapty just near-by.

By the way I'd heard that Bapty shrinked their business so I don't know what effect will it have for media production in the UK...

Then 2Sharp...I prefer the old frame on the Glocks for some reason - and as you can see, all the hypes on the durability of the polymer frames are just load of...(even though I bet it's better to hold a polymer frame then a metal one during winter time...)

Any special marking on the Glocks that you're using? I've seen some Colt .45s issued to the Argentine Army as well as some S&W M10s issued to Police Forces on some South American countries have special markings on them...
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:36 am

Post by 2sharp

jim wrote:

Then 2Sharp...I prefer the old frame on the Glocks for some reason - and as you can see, all the hypes on the durability of the polymer frames are just load of...(even though I bet it's better to hold a polymer frame then a metal one during winter time...)
Any special marking on the Glocks that you're using? I've seen some Colt .45s issued to the Argentine Army as well as some S&W M10s issued to Police Forces on some South American countries have special markings on them...
Well, to be honest those that are changed out have gone through impressive amounts of abuse as the first were bought in 1988.
I'd say you have to work x-tremely hard to break one, however there will be quite a lot of wear when used in active service, especially the butt tends to take a beating as it is exposed to bumps, denting and getting scratched.
Last time i carried a pistol for duty i had to cut off plastic bits and smoothen it out quite often. (the butt end)
The Glocks that are issued have the royal Swedish crest, three crowns engraved on the slide and inscribed to the frame.
As the tenifer finish is piss-hard the slides are engraved at the factory, or at least before the finish is applied to the slides.
Need to work on those pics Smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:37 am

Post by jim

I owned a real steel Glock 17 before - but I kept them nicely so I don't know how tough the polymer frame can endure (if it wasn't mine then I might go rough with it...)

Putting it to good use: attn figaro 986889560_ac25f15086_o

It'll be nice if you can take some photos on the markings of the Swedish-issued service pistols later... Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:42 am

Post by figaro

I'm probably paranoid, but tend to feel it's wiser to cover up the serial number of your real firearms on public sites/forums, if you wish to show pics.
Even if you no longer own it.

Hopefully we are going unnoticed by governing watchdogs, let's keep it that way.
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:43 am

Post by jim

Don't worry...when I left Australia there was a government buyback on pistols after an university shooting so if the governemnt is doing the right thing then this Glock should be crushed almost 4 years ago...

Even if I don't return to HK this Glock remain the subject of the buyback because the barrel of this Glock is 114mm - 6mm shorter than the new legal length.

If I swap the barrel and buy new 10rd mags for it then I can keep it (but have to surrender the original barrel as well as the original 17 rd mags to the govt) - but what do you think to have a Glock with another centimetre of barrel sticking out?

But having said that...thanks for the advice, I'll be more careful from now on Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_biggrin

NB: The pic shown is a Glock 17 but I put some .40 S&W rounds next to it.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:44 am

Post by HueyJ

Hey 2Sharp, dobar dan, or perhaps Miremengesi would be more appropriate...

I wonder, does this range look familiar? Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_wink
Putting it to good use: attn figaro Razorback125[/img]
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:45 am

Post by 2sharp

HueyJ wrote:
Hey 2Sharp, dobar dan, or perhaps Miremengesi would be more appropriate...
I wonder, does this range look familiar? 😉
Quite familiar, yes Smile
Looks like a fun event!
(working on the pictures of the Swedish issued Glock, i'm just a lazy bum.. Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:45 am

Post by jim

I'm not familiar with this range but to me they all look very handsome indeed (with heads looking like this)...with black hair I thought they're all Chinese... Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_lol

And for the Swedish issue Glock - pls take your time... Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:47 am

Post by HueyJ

jim wrote:
I'm not familiar with this range but to me they all look very handsome indeed (with heads looking like this)...with black hair I thought they're all Chinese... Laughing
It was just a ploy on my part to conceal my very light dusting of grey hair!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting it to good use: attn figaro   Putting it to good use: attn figaro Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putting it to good use: attn figaro
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next