MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modelguns in Movies ? 2

Go down 
+6
gf350
Fight Designer
MadMike
Cerwyn
wfalenta
phobus
10 posters
AuthorMessage
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

Number of posts : 275
Location / Country : Leeds
Registration date : 2008-10-21

Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Empty
PostSubject: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 6:31 pm

I recall a similar thread on Marks original MP40 but just thought I would throw this in for discussion .

Has anyone noticed any modelguns used in recent film / TV productions ?

I could not help but giggle to myself reading News Of the World newspaper at the Weekend showing a close up pic of Jason Sratham,s mug with an MGC BERETTA 92 pushed into it in a close up production still from the forthcoming " Transporter 3 "

I always assumed real steel / Deacs or top quality props would be used in such cases to ensure realism ?
After all people seem more aware about guns and how they work / look since being featured so heavily in the likes of computer and console games + TV productions etc .

I suspect many on here find themselves noticing weapons and their usage when portrayed on TV /Films etc . I cannot help myself from being annoyed when they are shown in an incorrect way : either the weapon , how its being used / carried etc / re loading .

Just little things like on " Dead Set " on E4 ( recommended BTW rabbit ) recently a woman armed with a BA rifle shot a zombie and I was looking for the bullet hole in the window behind the creature , but it was,nt there and it should have been .

Even watching Band of Brothers recently some of the weapons carried by none main characters looked suspiciously prop like to me . A small criticism of an otherwise SUPERB production .

Anyone else noticed anything recently ??

Carl. santa
Back to top Go down
wfalenta
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
wfalenta

Number of posts : 53
Location / Country : Preston, Lancashire, UK
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 6:47 pm

I know what you mean, especially about how firearms are handled in hollywood movies (Tears of the Sun is a great example of Bruce Willis' M4 with an Aimpoint scope fitted backwards!)
Although people are becoming aware and producers/directors are trying to make things more accurate and realistic. There's a great website: www.imfdb.org
It tells you what guns are used in movies with quite a bit of detail and info (depending on the movie)

Some films which require lots of weapons, especially lots of the same weapon (military etc), tend to use modelguns. I think full metal jacket or platoon used model guns for many of its soldiers in the scenes when they were just hanging around or patrolling.
I read on the website that muzzle flashes were added by CGI after filming was finished for one particular movie - i can just picture the actors running around pretending to fire their weapons around the film set! "Bang bang bang bang..."
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 12:08 pm

Welcome to the forums wfalenta Exclamation

The link you posted up re guns in Movies is a good find, very interesting reading, Thanks for that Exclamation

It'll keep me in reading material for weeks now Very Happy

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 1:34 pm

In Full Metal Jacket and Tour Of Duty the standard full metal MGC M16 was used in scenes where the gun was not fired. You can recognize them easily by the locking mechanism using an allen screw between lower and upper receiver. It is located where the forward assist should be located.

Modelguns in Movies ? 2 M16e1-2-1

I did not notice prop guns or model guns in Platoon. The US Department of Defense declined to co-operate in the making of the film. Military equipment was thus loaned from the Filippino armed forces. That is the reason for using the wrong type of carbine, the M653 M16A1 Carbine (not introduced before 1973) instead of the M609 XM177E1 that was the type of Carbine used in small numbers by US Army officers, medics, RTOs and dog handlers during the Vietnam war. The M16s used in the film were made in the Philippines. In one scene when Elias is changing magazines you can read "Made under license in the Philippines" on the right side of the lower receiver.
Back to top Go down
Fight Designer
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Fight Designer

Number of posts : 240
Location / Country : Eugene, OR, USA
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Not mainstream by any stretch, but I was gun wrangler in this one:
http://www.starz.com/titles/BULLETSBLOODANDAFISTFULOFCASH
(also available with NetFlix ondemand download)

...and we used a few modelguns: MGC Mac 11, MGC M4, Marushin Uzi.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fightdesigner.com
gf350

Number of posts : 22
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2009-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 5:27 pm

MadMike wrote:
In Full Metal Jacket and Tour Of Duty the standard full metal MGC M16 was used in scenes where the gun was not fired. You can recognize them easily by the locking mechanism using an allen screw between lower and upper receiver. It is located where the forward assist should be located.

Modelguns in Movies ? 2 M16e1-2-1

I've got 2 of these, they have been converted to fire custom pfc shells.
I've seen them used in loads of things, even spotted one in '24 Redemption' recently so they are still around.

I have quite a few spares for them if anyone needs any let me know.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 7:26 pm

Welcome to the forums gf350!

Always a pleasure to greet new members Very Happy

I might well be interested in spares for my MGC M16... could you send me a PM please listing what you have?

Mine's been converted to use c.p type pfc cartridges rather than the "open" type too.

Back to top Go down
Fight Designer
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Fight Designer

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 10:19 pm

Haven't used any of the modelguns on this shoot yet, but will this coming Friday:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=122939769&albumId=2226962&page=3

I'll probably at least have my M4 and my XM appear in this shoot at some point. Maybe some others as well.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: "The Butcher" available on DVD   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 9:39 pm

My film "The Butcher" is being released to DVD by Universal.

http://www.amazon.com/Butcher-Eric-Roberts/dp/B0029WLJHA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1244653692&sr=1-5

It shows it's low budget in places, but I am pleased with the final shoot-out.

http://thebutcher-movie.com/

There were many guns used in the making of this picture, both real and replica.
The gold titanium plated Springfields were the most expensive prop, but we also rented full auto, AK's, Thompsons, MP40's, MAC 10's, FN Fals oh and the Browning 1919 belt fed.

I broke, beyond repair my MGC Thompson, and the shot didn't even make the cut.

This is sort of unashamedly self promoting, but I consider this a friendly board, so forgive a little if it offends.

JJ
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 11:30 pm

Nothing wrong in self promotion and i am glad you let us know its out on DVD as i want to get this, i do like Eric roberts there is loads of guns its made by someone who knows his guns so self promotion is good. Hey, do you think this film had anything to do with stallone enrolling Eric for his expendables film!!
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 3:53 am

Thanks Claymore,

It's kinda slow moving until about 40 minutes in, my attempt at a mature "old school" tempo, I will not be doing that again. But I wager you will have some interest in the end shoot-out.

Ref. The Expendables.
I think Stallone's plan was to hire a lot of the tough guys from the 80's and 90's to give a certain "character" to his picture, Ken, my editor on The Butcher, just took over editing duties on The Expendables (yes, I'm trying to get a look at it) - just a coincidence, but interesting - our film is a straight to DVD three week shoot, I doubt we're even on Stallone's radar.
I loved John Rambo and Rocky Balboa, so I'm looking forward to this one, too.

JJ
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 9:49 am

pitfighter wrote:
My film "The Butcher" is being released to DVD by Universal.

http://www.amazon.com/Butcher-Eric-Roberts/dp/B0029WLJHA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1244653692&sr=1-5

It shows it's low budget in places, but I am pleased with the final shoot-out.

http://thebutcher-movie.com/

There were many guns used in the making of this picture, both real and replica.
The gold titanium plated Springfields were the most expensive prop, but we also rented full auto, AK's, Thompsons, MP40's, MAC 10's, FN Fals oh and the Browning 1919 belt fed.

I broke, beyond repair my MGC Thompson, and the shot didn't even make the cut.

This is sort of unashamedly self promoting, but I consider this a friendly board, so forgive a little if it offends.

JJ

Congratulations JJ, on getting another of your Movies released on DVD, Well Done Exclamation
Absolutely NO offence taken, there's nothing wong with a bit of self promoting when it's deserved Very Happy
Sorry to read your MGC Thompson got broken and didn't even make it to the final cut, what broke Question There may be a few spare parts sitting in our cupboards that might ressurect it for you...

Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 5:08 pm

It wasn't even a stunt, I had just bought a new drum mag and bolt from Franky too.
A gunman runs from the kitchen of a restaurant into a gunfight - in the main part of the restaurant - it was this chaps first movie, there was a lot of gun fire and special effects in the shot, I don't doubt that his heart was racing a bit, and on his cue to run into the room - which is all that this shot was actually requiring - he ran into the metal door-frame, destroying the mag, dropping the gun, and slapping his forehead pretty badly, obviously the shot didn't make an awful lot of sense, so it didn't end up in the movie and we did a second take, where he carried a plastic AK.

The Thompson is pretty much done for, the zinc metal really isn't made to be moved around much. But, these things happen.

The film has already been pirated here, and I watched the shoot-out again yesterday to check out the quality of the rip(morbid curiosity), it's not so terrible.

When the headless man drops, he's carrying an MP40 modelgun, when he still had his head he was shooting a real MP40 - this will make sense if you catch the uncut version of the picture - not for TV.

Thanks Cerwyn, you're a gentleman as always.

JJ.
Back to top Go down
2Sharp
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 229
Location / Country : The Swedish Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 5:48 pm

pitfighter wrote:

Just so you know i always enjoy your posts, modelguns, movieprops and entertaining films all in one post, how could i not love it???

Please keep self promoting yourself!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 5:57 pm

To be honest JJ, if somebody broke my Thompson by running into a door frame and then dropping it on the floor I would be the one banging his forehead for him Twisted Evil (I hope he wasn't too badly hurt though Wink )

What would you need to repair it Question An upper receiver, drum magazine, pistol foregrip maybe Question
I bet all those parts could be sourced from the guys here. It would be a shame to declare an MGC Thompson KIA wouldn't it Question

These pirates work FAST don't they Shocked

Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Shame I cannot find your film here in HK (even in HMV) JJ...so have to get it online then...
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks for looking, it actually hasn't come out anywhere, yet, it is still on pre-order status.
Thats the irony of the "rips" and "pirates" showing up already.
I think Australia is the first to get the movie, through 20th Century Fox later this month.
The US follows in July, with universal releasing here.
Metrodome in the UK later in the year - they have edited some of the violence out of my films in the past (5th Commandment), so I recommend the US version.

I will look into fixing up the Thompson someday, Cerwyn, right now it is with the rest of my armor, in lock boxes, and I am using your site as a way to avoid writing, which is what I should really be getting back to, as it is paying the bills right now!

JJ.
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1234
Location / Country : London

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 15, 2009 11:12 pm

found it on amazon uk on pre-order for the 20th july, bloody good price too so i have pre ordered Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MadMike
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
MadMike

Number of posts : 647
Location / Country : Germany (Stuttgart)
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 1:05 pm

I am quite sure the full metal MGC M16 was the model gun most often used in movies. Remember Full Metal Jacket and the A-Team? It was also used as a prop gun in the TV-series Tour Of Duty. I found two nice photos shot at the set where you can clearly see the MGC M16, as well as a movie screen shot.

Modelguns in Movies ? 2 HornQuang3_600x756

Modelguns in Movies ? 2 LTTaylorJohnson_Huey_600x798

Modelguns in Movies ? 2 LTTPercellNR
Back to top Go down
2Sharp
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 2:31 pm

Cool, very cool really. No guessing there, definitely MGC Smile

We need to gang up and rob the prop departments...
Back to top Go down
Fight Designer
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Fight Designer

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 5:56 pm

My latest project is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhafrYj6GZs

Includes a mix of modelguns, blank firing guns, rubber guns, airsoft guns, real guns, etc.

It's for a contest for an existing web series. The whole premise is that it's sorta a vampire slayer video blog, all candid camera/COPS/Blair Witch style shooting, so the trick was hiding the cuts and making it look like one long, not-staged shoot.

Contest judging happens Saturday (tomorrow), and hits and votes on YouTube are factored in, so I have my own ulterior motive for sharing. Hey, full disclosure at least. No real budget, four nights of shooting (one for the briefing, two for the action, and then an hour with the "Cameraman" to shoot the intro).

The AR15 modelgun was probably the best performing prop in the video. Couple of the blank guns jammed a ton, and the shell-ejecting RAP5 worked well but broke when dropped accidentally. Should have just used my Mac 11 or Uzi modelguns instead of the blank firing Asi for the big guy, but hey, live and learn.
Back to top Go down
2Sharp
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Fight Designer wrote:
My latest project is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhafrYj6GZs

Includes a mix of modelguns, blank firing guns, rubber guns, airsoft guns, real guns, etc.

It's for a contest for an existing web series. The whole premise is that it's sorta a vampire slayer video blog, all candid camera/COPS/Blair Witch style shooting, so the trick was hiding the cuts and making it look like one long, not-staged shoot.

Contest judging happens Saturday (tomorrow), and hits and votes on YouTube are factored in, so I have my own ulterior motive for sharing. Hey, full disclosure at least. No real budget, four nights of shooting (one for the briefing, two for the action, and then an hour with the "Cameraman" to shoot the intro).

The AR15 modelgun was probably the best performing prop in the video. Couple of the blank guns jammed a ton, and the shell-ejecting RAP5 worked well but broke when dropped accidentally. Should have just used my Mac 11 or Uzi modelguns instead of the blank firing Asi for the big guy, but hey, live and learn.

I truly enjoyed that Very Happy

The initial entry and shooting was quite confused and intense, the way i like it and has seen through training Smile

COOL!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modelguns in Movies ? 2   Modelguns in Movies ? 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modelguns in Movies ? 2
Page 1 of 1