MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired).

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired). Empty
PostSubject: Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired).   Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired). Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 9:04 pm

Fine Folks,

I am wondering about modelgun longevity - how long are they supposed to last?

In storage condition very long - as all those models from 70's and 80's show us.
But for how many rounds through have they been designed?

Real guns usually have a design number for barrel and other elements. Finding those numbers is done as part of weapon testing before it gets deployed.

From my limited experience all modelguns worked great when they were fired initially, but over time problems do develop quite quickly, under 100 rounds probably. Broken barrels, bent detonator pins, deformed hammers, or just puzzling malfunctions. All of that even with cleaning/oiling and taking proper care of them.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11076
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired).   Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired). Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 9:39 am

An interesting question smootik, everything mechanical will break or wear out eventually.

The first modelgun I bought, about 5 years ago, Marushin's abs MP40 has fired several hundred rounds and still performs perfectly. The abs bolt is starting to show signs of wear now, but nevertheless it's still going strong. Undoubtedly using Marushin's own 9mm cartridges helps. I did try using MGC P220s in an abs MP41 but he extra power put ot by them cracked the bolt very quickly.

A second hand MGC Thompson I bought some time ago didn't last long, the zinc bolt face must have been part worn when I recieved it and after a few months the bolt was in need of replacement. Nothing else has worn or broken though.

Similarly my Marushin UZI chewed up it's zinc bolt face very quickly.

Hudson's PPSh41 cracked it's lightweight zinc bolt before emptying the first magazine...

I've had more problems with HWabs. A Marshin Dolphin broke it's firing block in two after about 50-60 rds.

The materials used to make these models lends itself to premature wear and breakages. My all steel MGCUK STEN has fired several hundred rounds and shows no signs of wear at all. The cartridges take a beating though but better that than the gun breaking

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2555
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired).   Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired). Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 10:44 am

One thing that does affect them (smaller parts) is the quality of the zinc casting as all you need is an air bubble in it and it's all over very quickly No

I'm still surprised how well the ABS bolts last compared to their zinc counterparts Cool

But as with all modelguns they have been designed not to take too much punishment which makes it imposable to convert them for bad things

8ace
Back to top Go down
shazhib
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
shazhib

Number of posts : 323
Location / Country : Tokyo, Japan
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired).   Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired). Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Well.....I don't think the maker has any statistics as to how many fires make the model start to broke.
Remember this is still a model.

Some of product from certain maker, is not really design to fire even if it has a function of firing, namely, CMC, Tanaka (long gun), Hudson (long gun). If you want to fire, I would suggest MGC, KSC and Marushin......handguns. Few exception of long guns are MGC Thompson and Marushin MP40.

Regards,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired).   Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired). Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modelgun longevity (in rounds fired).
Page 1 of 1