MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks Empty
PostSubject: MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks   MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Post by Dat

I have An MGC 68 MP 40 I bought it when I was 11 or 12 back in 1972. It has been well used over the years and I need some parts to make it look good. The main problem is the bolt. The handle this broke many years ago. Anyone know of a source for parts to these model guns, or a way to fix it?
I have been reading some of the forum threads and some alluded to the fact that this MP 40 could be converted to fire blanks. I would like to know if it is true. In the very least I think it would be neat to convert it to fire caps. What do I need to do?
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks   MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:27 pm

Post by francky1958

Hi dat,
I know the bolt is the main problem, I guess there are no any parts of source, I'm a one of the modelgun supplier that why I know.
If i were you, I'll try the marushin plastic bolt for mp40 at first.
why don't you to check this out! Mr, Marks report for mgc mp40.
it wiil help you for sure.
http://www.mp40modelguns.com/MGC%20MP40.htm

Dat wrote:
I have An MGC 68 MP 40 I bought it when I was 11 or 12 back in 1972. It has been well used over the years and I need some parts to make it look good. The main problem is the bolt. The handle this broke many years ago. Anyone know of a source for parts to these model guns, or a way to fix it?
I have been reading some of the forum threads and some alluded to the fact that this MP 40 could be converted to fire blanks. I would like to know if it is true. In the very least I think it would be neat to convert it to fire caps. What do I need to do?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks   MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Post by Claymore

If it is the MGC Mp 40 you have then it is made of steel and can be adapted to fire blanks. A lot of WW11 reenactors have done this.
I blank firing MP40 would be cool but where are you going to fire it as it will make a hell of a lot of noise, firing in the house is not practical and everyone outside will wonder waht the hell is going on, outside against the law so unless you belong to a reenacting group you really wont get much use out of a blank fierer.

Not trying to put you of converting to blank, i love blank firers and hava a few but never use them as they are loud.
I would get it working for caps again the only difference is they are not as loud (which is the whole point) but the fun factor is still the same and you can use it whenever you want, in the house.

If you really want to go the blank way try here

http://wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/archive/o_f__f_25__classifieds-for-sale.html

That is the sales page for WW11 reenactors but theer is a forum page too, i think you will find someone who will convert it for you or point you in the right direction.

Otherwise go the route francky said i am sure he can get the marushin bits for you, you could also try modelgun collecter they might be able to make new bits for you for cap firing.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks   MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:29 pm

Post by Dat

How do I convert it to fire caps?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks   MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:29 pm

Post by Claymore

If its an MGC MP 40 it should be capable of firing PFC rounds. Is it made of steel, if it is then it was made to fire. You will need to check that the bolt is correct and that the barrel has a detonator pin in it, if it does all you need is the rounds and hey presto.
Mark will be the best to ask on this though his understanding and knowledge of modelguns is far superior to mine.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks   MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:30 pm

Post by Dat

The problem is it does not have a detonator in fact the barrel screws into a chromed plug in the receiver.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks   MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Post by Mark

Hi Dat,

The MGC MP40 can be converted to fire caps withe proper detonator/bolt combination if the proper parts are intact:

1. The bolt face/cartridge "rib"

2. The detonator

3. barrel bushing

Rarely, an "export" MGC MP40 will have all of the proper parts except for the detonator assy like my early MGC MP40. It mostly depends on the year that your MGC was imported..

Your bolt handle can be repaired but, the bolt's face must be uncut to work..As the "Export" bolts where usually machined to eliminate the bolt's cartridge support face and the cartridge feed rib..This face and rib can be restored but, it will require machining and a new face/feed rib put on the old bolt's face to make it work. Or, a non-export bolt can be found.. (i have found them before on ebay and other places on the net like trade boards etc.)

The bolts are of course, different due to early/late production changes brought on by politics, production and product improvement reasons.The earlier bolts where lighter and they had a centrally mounted ejector. This centrally located ejector was thin and they commonly broke.

These centrally mounted ejectors where replaced by the stronger off-set ejector/redesigned bolt. The ejectors can be changed but the ejectors pin in the magazine housing needs to be removed as well as the magazine housing to access the ejector assy as the ejector is cast zinc alloy (earlyand late).

The detonators are fairly easy to obtain as francky1958 can get them as well as the cartridges that you need.

The barrel bushing that is receiver mounted,(where the cromed plug was) sometimes is destroyed to prevent mods by drilling and milling slots intro the chamber area. This ruins the chamber for the conversion.

If you can post pictures, i can tell what you need for the proper cap firing conversion for your MGC MP40...

MGC MP40 Marushin MP40 Nakata MP40 TRC MP40

Modelgun manufacturers, past and present:CMC,CAW,Hudson,HWS,LS,MGC(R.I.P. 1960's~2007) Marushin,Marui,Kokusai,Shoei,Tanaka and Western Arms
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks   MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC68 MP40... Restoring to Fire Caps / Blanks
Page 1 of 1