MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BadBean
BadBean

Number of posts : 82
Location / Country : Germany
Registration date : 2009-12-15

MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Empty
PostSubject: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 11:47 pm

Hello!

Before I entered this forum, I discovered this rare MGC Revolver on a YahooAuctions Japan site:

http://yahoo.jpctrade.com/yahoo/detail/yahoo_category_tree_id/11799/pre_url/eWFob28vbGlzdD95YWhvb19jYXRlZ29yeV90cmVlX2lkPTExNzk5JmFwZz01NiZzMT1vMSZvMT0%3D/url/aHR0cDovL3BhZ2UxMS5hdWN0aW9ucy55YWhvby5jby5qcC9qcC9hdWN0aW9uL244MTgxMTQ1OA%3D%3D

Do doubt it is a Smith and Wesson Model 29, and hell... I am crazy about this Revolver!

I own a Kokusai M29 wich is nice, but half an inch too short and not that dark black and shiny.

I saw a real S&W M29 6 1/2inch Revolver behind glass once, and this MGC comes nearest to the original than any Modelgun I have seen was able to...

Do anybody know something about those apparently sold out MGC revolvers?

And anybody from germany who is able to order from that page?

:albino:

MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Mitarai95img600x4501255

MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Mitarai95img600x4501255
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

Number of posts : 616
Location / Country : Hollywood, California
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 5:35 am

I think that is made of black plastic - you probably already knew that.
The original pre-29's had incredible blue, I love the pre-29 in 4" - see Payback with Mel Gibson.

Last edited by pitfighter on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Taken the picture down.)
Back to top Go down
BadBean
BadBean

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 4:30 pm

Yeah I knew it was plastic, but it just looks so shiny, just like the Dirty Harry ones!
Must find one of those somehow... they look great, but it seems like thats almost impossible.
How does a blue one look like? It is a light black with a touch of blue isnt it?

Who made those blued modelguns?
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 7:42 pm

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=152078795
Do an internet search for: smith wesson pre-29 there are better pictures.

This was from an era when blueing was a real art-form (dangerous to perform too), Colts from the 1950's and 1960's often had an exceptional finish, too.

Can't help with the modelgun, all of the modelguns I have, have a terribly poor finish.

My daughter didn't like the Smith too much, too heavy, she did shoot about 700 rounds of .22lr, though.

JJ
Back to top Go down
BadBean
BadBean

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Ah I see now what blueing really is...

Yes, modelgun finishes are often a pain...

Do you actually have M29 modelguns?
If yes, wich ones?
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 11:25 pm

No m29's, I have the RMI M27, Colt Pythons, Colt 1911's, Colt SAA as metal modelguns.
I have no use for plastic, I had one, the Mac and it broke to pieces on a shoot.
Back to top Go down
BadBean
BadBean

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:20 am

Damn...

But most Metals have closed barrels and thats just no good effect when filming with them Wink
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:18 am

I have never fired any of my modelguns, I used to use them as props, ie: when guns are seen but not fired.
We have trouble keeping mags full in time for filming with regular blanks, forget trying to load a cap, and then find empties, you'd lose your mind. Besides I think the shock wave and blast associated with a full flash blank helps the actor with their performance, I hate the non-guns and even the occasions where 1/4 or half loads have to be used, it takes something away, it's anti climatic, there's no fear, no jeopardy - they're supposed to be trying to kill someone, it should shake the dust from the rafters, some consequence - sorry about the essay.

For motion Picture use here in the US, especially here in LA it is a lot better and wiser to hire an experienced armorer who brings his own weapons, it's safer legally, more practical and looks better on film at the end of the day.
(I use Mike Tristano - there is a link to his armory on the links page of my site, he works a lot of lower budget pictures.)

www.jessevjohnson.webs.com

When I have a gun need Mike cannot fulfill, I go to a company called ISS, they have everything, and I mean everything you can possibly imagine - they will build it if they don't have it, but they're a little more expensive.
http://www.issprops.com/Weapons.aspx

I like to collect Modelgun sub-machine guns as you can't own many of the models as live fire, and the workmanship is fascinating to me. If my modelgun SMG's were to become real transferable weapons they would be worth a quarter of a million dollars, mas or menus.

*I've pretty much single handedly messed up your thread, does anyone have info. on the black plastic model 29 Smith revolver he's looking for?

JJ
Back to top Go down
Spencer-Man
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
Spencer-Man

Number of posts : 47
Location / Country : Brighton, England

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Well, whilst we are diverting off topic slightly...it is great to see responsible gun ownership being taught to young people, especially these days. Over here firearm sport is seen in such a negative light. Crying or Very sad Also worth remembering that women are better shots than men, so the younger they start the better they can become in the sport.

With reguards to the model 29, I am not too sure whether I have read the tread correctly, but if I have then I can help out with regaurds to the blueing as I have a model 29 8 3/4" barrel. The finish is lovely. The gun itself, as in the frame, barrel and cylinder all have that lovely warm blue finish. This is the finish that has that glossy black look with the warm blue sheen to it. The rear sight and top strap all the way along to the front blade, including the muzzle, has a cold blue finish to it. This is the finish that has a dark black almost matt looking finish to it. The hammer and the trigger are case hardened, which leaves a beautiful oily rainbow tortoise shell kind of finish. You will often see this finish on the frame of many Colt peacemaker revolvers.

I doublt with reguards to model guns and how blue is done that you will ever be able to replicate this finish with a metal gun, possibly with a plasic gun using metal parts for the colder sections would work quite well. I have not seen the plastic one myself so cant comment on that specific model. I have owned in the past (sadly I sold it before I realised how rare it is) a S&W model 19 made by Kokusai which was blued. Compared to the real thing it is not as good finish wise, but it was very nice It was more of a worn looking blued finish, as the points which were angled were more silver than blue. It had real wood grips, so it is possible to fit those somehow. I would guess that the gun was originally gold, polished up to a nice silver finish, but then how the blue was applied I dont know. Possibly that aluminium black stuff that you can get. I would suggest to try that on one if you have a metal revolver, maybe remove the grip and try it on the part that is covered so you can see what the result yeilds, and if you like it then go for it all over. If it works the same way as blue, and if my memory serves me right, to get the cold blue finish you simply give it longer to affect the parts, and give it more coats, so maybe you could use a little artists brush to go over those areas a little heavier.

I hope that helps a little.
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi Specerman,

She is a very good shot, alarmingly so - I'm going to see if she likes the GSG5, her friend has a pink Remington Rifle, so we'll see.

Open the cylinder on your Smith and the model number will let you know roughly when it was made, you can get the exact date on many collector sites, pre-1980 were very well finished.

Serial number sometimes under grip on handle frame.

JJ

Last edited by pitfighter on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spencer-Man
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
Spencer-Man

Number of posts : 47
Location / Country : Brighton, England

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Now I didnt know that. Where can I find out from the serial number, or am I missing a part that says the date. I dont want to publish the serial number for obvious reasons on an open forum, but are the last two numbers the year or something?

The GSG5 is a lovely little gun, although I personally prefer the HK94, but she would probably be better off with a .22 anyway, and there is less concern legally over those as they are not really H&K and able to take proper H&K parts like the full auto trigger groups etc. They also do a rather nice SD looking version here now, but I dont know what your barrel length regulations are there, here we have to have a long barrel reguardless, so the SD has the fatter barrel shroud and looks more anatomically correct, although I do like either model. They are also very easy to strip and maintain.
Back to top Go down
BadBean
BadBean

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Haha

so my MGC M29 threat actually beacme a blueing threat ^^

Is real blueing possible on modelguns that are not made of steel?

And whats wrong with all those finishes anyway? Kokusai made a such different finishs on different models...
The M36 has a real nice "Super Polifinish" http://yahoo.jpctrade.com/yahoo/detail/yahoo_category_tree_id/11799/pre_url/eWFob28vbGlzdD95YWhvb19jYXRlZ29yeV90cmVlX2lkPTExNzk5JmFwZz0xMTYmczE9bzEmbzE9/url/aHR0cDovL3BhZ2UxMS5hdWN0aW9ucy55YWhvby5jby5qcC9qcC9hdWN0aW9uL243NTI0NTUzNQ%3D%3D

My Kokusai M29 only has a somehow worn off, not too real look http://www.modelguns-worldwide.com/images/44harry12.jpg

How is it possible to get a overview about the Kokusai models and finishes? As we found out in another threat, they dont have a website...
Back to top Go down
pitfighter
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
pitfighter

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 11:16 pm

I do not think you will be able to blue a zinc alloy to the same lustre as steel, but you may find another way to get the finish you want, I'd check out some model paint stores or magazines.

Spence,

To determine your serial number this book is the definitive, short of getting a letter from the factory:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=16229&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=16205&top_category=16205&training=

To have someone online do it, who has the book and seems to be doing it for people as a service:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277680

To research the model number that's inside the cylinder arm area (these guys will fill you in):
http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum.php

Hope this helps, mate!

JJ
Back to top Go down
Zartan

Number of posts : 51
Location / Country : Vancouver, Canada
Registration date : 2010-11-17

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 7:17 pm

I recently found a Model Gun Co. 44 Magnum 6 inch in town. In really good shape too (8 out of 10) . Came with six kokusai magnum 44 shells. Anyone have any idea what these are worth on the market today?

http://members.shaw.ca/graemep/44mag1.JPG

http://members.shaw.ca/graemep/44mag2.JPG
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi Zartan,

Hard to say about value, a lot depends on the buyer these days.
For reference - I've seen this model offered locally for about 200-250$, without any shells.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?   MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC rare 44 Magnum / Yahoo Auctions - Anyone knows something about it?
Page 1 of 1