MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs? Empty
PostSubject: MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs?   MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Post by Reemo

Well, my string of good fortune continues this week......I have FINALLY found/bought a MGC Sterling.

I feel even better that I saved it from a STAR WARS collector that was about to chop it up!!

I expected (fully) to see a chopped bolt face - every Sterling I have come across for sale in the last 3 years has had its bolt chopped/destroyed by the importer.

Well, low and behold! I took it out of the box, and pulled the charging handle back.....A pristine bolt without a single mark on the face. (shocked).......the gun has the factory installed plug in place of the detonator that comes right out after removal of the barrel.

Now....I want to fire it.

Mark, did you figure out which detonator will work best in this puppy? Marushin again?
ANY HELP would be appreciated - I need a detonator!

PICS to be posted this weekend - its a nice model gun! MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs? Icon_wink
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs?   MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 4:41 pm

Post by Mark

Reemo wrote:
Well, my string of good fortune continues this week......I have FINALLY found/bought a MGC Sterling.
I feel even better that I saved it from a STAR WARS collector that was about to chop it up!!
I expected (fully) to see a chopped bolt face - every Sterling I have come across for sale in the last 3 years has had its bolt chopped/destroyed by the importer.
Well, low and behold! I took it out of the box, and pulled the charging handle back.....A pristine bolt without a single mark on the face. (shocked).......the gun has the factory installed plug in place of the detonator that comes right out after removal of the barrel.
Now....I want to fire it.

Mark, did you figure out which detonator will work best in this puppy? Marushin again?
ANY HELP would be appreciated - I need a detonator!
PICS to be posted this weekend - its a nice model gun! :wink:

Hey what a great find-you are extemely lucky! That is the modelgun find of a lifetime as the amount of imported Japanese spec (non cut bolt face etc.) Sterlings has to be, by examples that I have observed, few and far between. Oh, after looking at cut MGC bolts from MP40's/Thompsons/Sterlings I have concluded that MGC was resposible for the cut bolt faces at the factory....
Also, even better you SAVED IT from certain death! I cannot say how many of the MGC Sterlings have "bit the dust" due to the errent StarWars blaster maker! The gun itself is rarely not restoreable its the magazines that they shorten during the conversion.
The best cartridge for these is again, the Marushin MP40/Uzi cartridges. Why? The answer is the fact that they are easy to find ( there are possibly more of these cartridges produced than any other MG cartridges), they are tough, the "bullet" is thick it rarely deforms and simply they work very well. That and the fact that there are no O-rings to replace makes them a great catridge to use.
As far as I know there is no real detonator that can be used from another modelgun in the Sterling. You need to ask Francky as I think that he said that he can get the Marushin style detonator (aftermarket) for it.
I made my own from copying my MGC MP40's marushin cartridge, aftermarket detonator. I know that in Japan they make all sorts of aftermarket parts and pieces for the sterlings/Mp40's/Sten's like detonators ( for the paper cap,MGC SIG 220 and Marushin Uzi/MP40 cartidges) as well as replacement paper cap cartridges.
Did you say that you have the original MGC Sterling box?
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs?   MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 4:42 pm

Post by Claymore

Reemo you lucky sod, jelous or what why cant i find models in original untouched condition.
Anyway, see Francky for getting a det pin for the sterling personally i would go for the sig p220 rounds (which is what the pin he can get is for) i know mark likes his marushin rounds because of availability but the 220 round is more reliable makes more sound and you get more kick from the gun i have them for several diffrent model guns and they work really well and the rounds do not get damaged any more than in the abs models.

The guy who is making the steel stens over here is going to have a look at making the sterling bolt in steel, well he can make one its just how much it will cost, would you be interested in a steel bolt if the cost was acceptable, the more he makes the cheaper i would of thought
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs?   MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Post by reemo

Hi Guys!

Thank you BOTH so much for the great info.

I of course will contact Francky now that I have a starting point as to what I need.

I'll consider both cartridges.....I have lots of Marushin 9's because I own an UZI.....but dang, there is lots of truth to "loudness" or lack thereof, with the Marushin 9mm.....sometimes it just goes "poof"......almost cant hear the detonation.

Mark, NO BOX MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs? Icon_cry And of all the vintage MGC boxes, that Sterling box I want the most!

The gun itself is a solid 8 or 9 on a scale of "1-10"........finish is 95% or better. Its also NOT black at all, its a sort of gunmetal gray. I think it looks very realistic.

The sheet metal inside the receiver tube has almost no "scratch lines" from the bolt cyclcing, so I would say it hasn't even been dryfired much. Everything is tight and its actually tough to pull the bolt back! The inside hasnt worked itself in yet (like new).

I will get some pics this weekend.........

But guys, my search is over.......it feels great to finally land one. MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs? Icon_biggrin
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs?   MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 4:45 pm

Post by reemo

Claymore - I forgot - of course I would take a steel bolt! MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs? Icon_wink

I thought about putting the calipers to this bolt while it still has zero wear on it.....it would be easier to just buy a completed one.
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs?   MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MGC STERLING ... Convert to fire PFCs?
Page 1 of 1