MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
megamicrofish
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 137
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2009-11-24

Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Empty
PostSubject: Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911   Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 11:52 am

Anybody have a spare mag ?
I have contacted Francky and he cannot help so you guys are my last hope Very Happy

Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 DSCF0144

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911   Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 12:37 pm

I've had problems finding early magazines for MGC Colt 1911s too. There appears to be a variation in overall dimensions of magazines depending which version Colt model you have.
Every mag' I've tried to date has been too long, they stick out beneath the grip by a couple of millimetres.

I had an old mag' that I could measure, Francky suggested it is a GM-2 version. I've not been able to find one to buy yet though.

If you have an old, damaged magazine perhaps you could measure it up as I did here:

https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/buy-sell-modelguns-parts-cartridges-f8/wanted-magazine-for-mgc-colt-m1911-t1192.htm

If you haven't got an old mag' could you measure the distance from magazine catch to the grip base Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_question Maybe that could help track down the mag you need

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
megamicrofish
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast

Number of posts : 137
Location / Country : United Kingdom
Registration date : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911   Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:35 pm

I havn't got a mag at all but I have measured from the magazine catch to the grip base
Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 70mm
Back to top Go down
Bazooka Joe
Bazooka Joe

Number of posts : 34
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2010-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911   Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 9:51 am

Just wondering, but have you tried seeing if an original 1911's magazine will fit?
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911   Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 9:56 am

Hi mega,

We've managed to shorten a magazine from another MGC Colt1911 to fit and work properly.
I'm measuring the 2 mags now, sketching them and I'll give you a rundown of what was done.
I'll have this info for you asap

Back to top Go down
phobus
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
phobus

Number of posts : 275
Location / Country : Leeds
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911   Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi There

I think this is an RMI model rather than MGC ( are they the same ? )

I have a couple of these , they come up from time to time @ £100 mark but I have never seen any spare mags or parts .

The grips always seem to crack around the screw holes and wooden ones will not fit because the whole pistol is slightly smaller than a real 1911 .... Very Happy Ditto all other real gun parts like mags ....

I personally really like them as they are so authentic and strip down nicely . Also they look great if you polish up the barrel so the ejection port is nice and silver - which also makes it look mre real imo .

Nice model you have there but don,t expect to find a mag for it tho ,

Carl.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911   Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi mega,

As phobus has identified your Colt as an RMI badged MGC model, if you look back at my posting looking for a mag for my hybrid Colt you'll see this:

Ozguns wrote:
These 3 are out of my MGC made RMI guns.
They measure out exactly as above.
4mm catch slot.
72mm to bottom of magazine.
112mm overall length.

Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 DSCF3031Medium

Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 DSCF3029Medium

Hope this helps, or might even throw a spanner in the works.

Dan.

Ozguns had confirmed his RMI mag dimensions matched my MGC GM-2 version matched so I'll make sure I get the sketches and photos of my modified later version MGC mag finished and posted for you asap

Back to top Go down
Bazooka Joe
Bazooka Joe

Number of posts : 34
Location / Country : Denmark
Registration date : 2010-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911   Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 5:23 pm

I've just measured the magazine from my cheapo Denix 1911A1.

Overall length 110mm (back) 112mm (front) .
72mm from the bottom of the mag to the release slot.
4mm slot.
12mm width (I think it would be rather difficult to fit a .45 cartridge in it!)
34mm front to back.

If this is likely to fit, it might be a cheap solution to your problem.

Cheers
Joe
Back to top Go down
ESutak
ESutak

Number of posts : 17
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911   Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 4:00 pm

Dear Guys,

I have a solution to this problem.....one of neccesity really. We have a bunch of the last batch of the New MGC type 1911's but no mags....As you have noted, a real 1911 mag sticks out about 1.5 to 2mm. There is another issue, well...a few issues. first, the slot for a real 1911 is smaller than the MGC....Let me back up. This gun was designed in 1966/67. at that time gun legislation was in the works from our old pal Ted Kennedy...The national Firearms act of 1968 changed everything, and in anticipation of this, the MGC 1911 was designed to have not one part interchange with a real 1911. Not even the grips. For obvious reasons too, if you swap a ZAMAK part for a steel on in a real 1911 and it fails (And it will) you have a law suit.....Anyway, This is what needs to be done to a real 1911 magazine:
Start with a 7 round steel mag. 6.95 surplus mags are perfect. Rip the floor plate off, or carefully dremmel it off...your choice. Remove the spring and follower. Shorten the magazine to the proper length. Open up the mag catch hole with a dremmel making it wide enough for the MGC mag catch. Remove metal from the top of the existing hole, not the bottom. make sure the mag fits properly in the mag wll, and drellel off what you need to on the top of the mag for the slide to move freely forward. Not too much. a new floorplate is fashioned from aluminum bar stock and replaced in the bottom of the mag. don't forget to notch the front of the new mag with a dremmel to account for the thickness of the floorplate. The barstock will need to be notched so the bulk of it fits INSIDE the magazine. Replace the follower and spring, insert the newly made key-stock floorplate, then drill and pin with aluminum pins...nails with thier heads removed, or the remains of a pop rivet work fine. cut the pin 2mm larger than the width of the mag, then carefully peen the pins.....I can send you a blue print if need be, or we (KAR) can make you one for 25USD. Hope this helps.

cheers

Eric S.
Back to top Go down
ESutak
ESutak

Number of posts : 17
Location / Country : USA
Registration date : 2012-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911   Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 4:01 pm

It sounds alot more complicated than it is...it takes about 20 minutes in our shop....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911   Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Magazine for early MGC Colt 1911
Page 1 of 1