MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?

Go down 
+3
lt-deke
kickback
smootik
7 posters
AuthorMessage
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Empty
PostSubject: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 2:00 pm

All metal revolvers I've seen (on the web) have solid, closed barrels.

Was there ever a period when open-barrel metal ones were made and sold?
Back to top Go down
kickback
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
kickback

Number of posts : 335
Location / Country : UK.Cambridgeshire
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi Smootik,

Yes they did use to produce all metal open barrelled pistols Very Happy Very Happy ,I have had a few over the years and still have a TRC colt SAA that has an open barrel (with metal bar inside) and it also has a full open cylinder (see pic) I assume that as they tightened up on their gun laws this practise was changed but when i am not sure.

Have a look and see what i mean Very Happy
Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Saa001

cylinder
Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Saa002

not the best shot but you can see what I mean?
Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Saa003

I hope this helps matey
Kickback
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 3:26 pm

It does help a lot, thanks mate :-)

Was it a cap-firer?
Back to top Go down
kickback
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
kickback

Number of posts : 335
Location / Country : UK.Cambridgeshire
Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Yes,it held the cap in the nose of the cartridge with a spring loaded action Very Happy ,and the detonator pin was in the front section of the barrel Very Happy Very Happy but of course it is for paper caps and not the new plastic type Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Yup, paper caps of course, plastic ones were not invented around the time this modelgun was designed.
Thanks for information and photos, I feel wiser now :-)
Back to top Go down
lt-deke

Number of posts : 18
Location / Country : england
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Yes i'v got a couple of those models. and also some cmc from the early 70's that look very similer exept that they have an open barrel but only half opened chambers, my two enfield revolers are the same.
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 12:44 am

I've got one of these too, and the cartrudges are certainly different, although I'm no cartridge expert. Smile
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 6:50 am

kickback wrote:

cylinder
Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Saa002

Note that the TRCs were export models to US/Europe therefore less restrictions on cylinder/barrel inserts...almost impossible to find these inside Japan...
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 10:08 am

Jim, do you know anything more about TRC?
I've read somewhere that TRC was in fact a brand of Marushin Industries, a metal die-casting company at the time, producing modelguns designed by Nakata. No idea if this is true, but your comment about TRC being for export (just like RMI brand and slight changes in design for them) sort of falls into line with that.
Back to top Go down
lt-deke

Number of posts : 18
Location / Country : england
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 10:50 am

Just had a look at I have three cmc which are nealy exactly like the trc exept for markings dated 1968 with open barrel and cylinder but I also have three dated the same exect these have half closed cylinder and a fully blocked barrel the 1974 dated cmc ones I have have the open barrel with the striker in but have the half closed cylinders.

Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Tn
Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Tn1

Here are the spring loaded cartridges the long ones with the aliminium head are for the open chambers
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 1:52 pm

How does the spring mechanism work?
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Smootik, I have just had a very good look at mine, and I can't figure out how to pull them apart and check how the springs are inserted.
Here it shows how the cartridge looks when it is extended against the spring pressure.

Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? DSCF9202Custom
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Aaah, so the spring pressure keeps parts together, not apart!

I thought that "spring-loaded" means that spring is compressed when parts are brought together, and when released it pushes part with cartridge out to detonate cap, when released. Obviously wrong as it would block cylinder so I just did not understand that.

Now I get it (I think): revolver cartridge cannot be moved forward (as in pistols) onto detonator pin, and it also cannot extend past cylinder into barrel. Part with spring is pushed forward by hammer, moving out of cylinder, into barrel, onto detonator pin, making BAM! It is then pulled back inside cylinder to allow rotation and firing the next shot.
Back to top Go down
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

Number of posts : 234
Location / Country : Not so Great Britain

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 5:49 pm

The "bullet head " should unscrew from the thinner shaft part , not always easy if they have not been cleaned for a while

DOC
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 4:57 am

smootik wrote:
Jim, do you know anything more about TRC?
I've read somewhere that TRC was in fact a brand of Marushin Industries, a metal die-casting company at the time, producing modelguns designed by Nakata. No idea if this is true, but your comment about TRC being for export (just like RMI brand and slight changes in design for them) sort of falls into line with that.

If Nakata also means "Marushin" then it shall be the case (what I'd learnt - Marushin MKK is formed by several companies selling business to them such as Nakata/Suzuki...) - something like the Volkswagen Group having the Audi/Skoda and tens of other brands under them...
Back to top Go down
HIGUsan
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
HIGUsan

Number of posts : 54
Location / Country : Osaka, Japan
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 7:43 pm

Open cylinder was legal until 1977 though half open barrel was banned in 1971.
CMC sold SAA and Diamondback with this type cartridge and open cylinder until SM mark self control by modelgun makers (1975?).

According to the magazine articles, TRC was subsidiary company made by jointed “Surplus Shop Nakata” and “Marushin Diecast industry”.
Shop Nakata had assembled modelguns by themselves from 1965(?) and sold their own brand.
They ordered to Marushin Diecast Industry to make mold and modelgun diecasted parts.
Shop Nakata and Marushin Diecast Industry made "Tokyo Replica Corporation" for produce modelguns and whole sale in 1970(?). Then Shop Nakata stopped produce modelguns by themselves.
Marushin Diecast Industry merged TRC after years and continue produce modelguns as Marushin Industry.
Some products made by Marushin that succeeded from Nakata had marking of Nakata and sold with box of Nakata until 1977.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Great information!
HIGUsan, thank you very much for explaining that!
One more piece of modelgun puzzle is now in place :-)
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks HIGUsan - I'd vague ideas on what you described but only I can't put it right into words Laughing ...

Please tell us more about these complicated history in the future (such as the real reason behind Tobayashi san's departure of MGC shortly after making the Glock 17), very fascinating Very Happy ...

So is it mean that "TRC" was still only an export brand name? It seems "TRC" wasn't mentioned domestically (usually Nakata instead)...
Back to top Go down
HIGUsan
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
HIGUsan

Number of posts : 54
Location / Country : Osaka, Japan
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 5:08 pm

I think TRC’s main business was domestic sales.
I have some of old “Gun” magazine and checked the advertisements.
TRC ran their ad in the magazine from 1970 to 1978.
Nakata continued run their ad in the magazine until 1973 and stopped it.
Both of Nakata and TRC ad were placed in “Gun” magazine from 1970 to 1973.
Marushin Industry began to sell modelguns by their own brand from 1974.

This picture is TRC’s ad of SAA new release in the “Gun” magazine Nov 1970.
[img]Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? S-trc-12
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2010 7:50 am

OK Thanks Very Happy ...I always thought that TRC was something like RMI...(and it's C for "Corporation" instead)...well noted!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?   Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are there any metal open-barrel revolvers?
Page 1 of 1