MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marushin's UZI Restoring Paint Finish

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Marushin's UZI Restoring Paint Finish Empty
PostSubject: Marushin's UZI Restoring Paint Finish   Marushin's UZI Restoring Paint Finish Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 4:44 pm

Post by Reemo

Hi Guys

I know trhat this is an OLD post and you may have already painted your UZI, but I recently painted one too.

Here is what I did.

Strip the old paint off with whatever you decide - I used a gel stripper which made fast work of it all.

I then washed (rinsed) the parts with "prep-sol".....denatured alcohol would work well too. Just clean off ALL the old stripper and let dry.

Next is very fine steel wool to really clean the zinc and prep the surface for painting. Once clean it will have good "tooth".....once done, redunk the parts in prepsol and let dry.

For paint, I used an airbrush and HUMBROL enamel paint (Made in England).......it is an ultra premium hobby enamel and is very inexpensive - available everywhere in the world.

I used a mixture of matte black and raw steel - the color was very accurate when done. Humbrol makes sooooooooo many WW2 colors and many steel greys, so choose what you think looks best - its your party!

Once that dried (several coats) I used KRYLON "crystal clear".

It is so durable and resists handling - it is neither flat nor glossy - its somewhere in between and its perfect. You can spray from the can...or as I did.....spray into a airbrush bottle then attach the bottle to your airbrush.......the airbrush will spray it just fine and due to better atomizing, the finish comes out flawless. NO chance of orange peel or "texture" to the new finish. Just smooth "plated" appearance.

The gun can be handled with no chance of scuffing or "burnishing" (shine from handling paint in the same spot over and over).

There are many ways to paint a gun, but this is what I did and I was very satisfied. Give it a shot!

Marushin's UZI Restoring Paint Finish
Page 1 of 1