MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns Empty
PostSubject: Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns   Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns Icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 8:32 am

First of all, not too sure where to put this post to...isn't a GBB but a Tanaka Pegasus gas M66 revolver - but the finish of this gun may later apply to modelguns as well so I might have my post here...

Out of interest of this latest coating as well as the affection towards M19/M66 I bought this one:

Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns 231020101673
Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns 231020101672

Hard to imagine that Tanaka can come up with something like this: plate some chrome-like coating on the HW material (which is an insulator) so now the entire gun feels like metal (kind of cold when touching the surface) and also extra weight added to it...but (as always)...

Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns 231020101674

After some time (say 2 weeks later) some of the HW material inside started to surface so now some oily stains appeared (wipable though - but still not very pleasant)...hopefully not another failed project like Marushin's (Totally) "Lost Stainless Silver" coating...

If something like this already happened on gas guns then what'll be the impact to have this as modelgun coating...? This coating is heavy but at the same time quite brittle so no way it'll be applied to semi-autos (layer peel-off after several blowbacks)...
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns   Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 8:08 pm

Any further changes in appearance by now?
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns   Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 5:26 am

I still have to wipe it occasionally...one thing for sure - the silver coating's getting greyer & greyer...

But overall this is still a nice & heavy M66...if I haven't got too many Kokusai pfc M36 before I might get the blued M36 as well (I'm financially focused on GBB rifles at the moment Laughing )...
Back to top Go down
claymore
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist

Number of posts : 1233
Location / Country : London

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns   Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:25 am

Jim,
I have bad things about tanaka gas guns in that they leak badly and dont function particulary well which is why i stayed away from the midnight blue 44 mag and the Luger. Has this now changed are the now reliable i would like to thinks so as they have some good models and this model 66 looks very good.
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns   Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns Icon_minitimeSat Dec 18, 2010 3:36 am

claymore wrote:
Jim,
I have bad things about tanaka gas guns in that they leak badly and dont function particulary well which is why i stayed away from the midnight blue 44 mag and the Luger. Has this now changed are the now reliable i would like to thinks so as they have some good models and this model 66 looks very good.

The Pegasus firing system is a joke for me since it's a pain to charge (gas) and load (BB)...and worst of all lost the power after the Japanese Power Restriction - again I treat these Tanaka revolvers more like new-spec deacts (both have solid/welded cylinder)...

Gas leaks - doesn't seem to be a major problem in general so maybe it is just a matter of luck...

Luger I suggest you get the Taiwanese WE ones - it'll turn full-auto by itself after some usage (maybe due to weak sear)...
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns   Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 11:27 pm

Tanaka are releasing S&W M36 2inch Steel Jupiter Finish Model Gun 34,000yen in September!
Prices seem to get higher and higher.........................

Jim, how is yours looking now? did the finish get worse??
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns   Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 6:08 am

Hi Johnny - not just this M36...but M49 Bodyguard will be out in Oct as well Very Happy ...

Good question regarding my M66 - I'll dig it out somewhere so you guys can have a look (fear that something from the HW material will be released and therefore darken the surface from the inside which will make it un"wipe"able)...
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns   Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 11:07 am

Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns 011020125987
Found it! As expected: wipe it with tissue and it's black (the stain from the HW material under this jupiter coating surface out slowly)...also the gun's getting darkish-yellow (slightly)...

Suggested not to fire caps as the powder residue (acidic phosphate) will eat up the coating and the water rinsing after firing give uncertainties...better treat these like Swarovski Crystal...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns   Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jupiter Finish on Tanaka Guns
Page 1 of 1