MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mystery Stuff

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Number of posts : 988
Location / Country : Hong Kong / Sydney, Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Mystery Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Mystery Stuff   Mystery Stuff Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 6:15 am

Found this pic from the Malugo Japanese site:

Mystery Stuff Malugooriginalleadweightpowder

"Malugo Original Lead Weight Powder" - and a brief explanation from the webpage of something like: "Apply this to your modelgun will add extra weight to it"...HOW Question

Can only think of the metal (lead?) pieces found on the grips of some model handguns which serves similar purpose - but how these 1mm powder works out is still a mystery for me...wild guess anyone?
Back to top Go down
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

Number of posts : 234
Location / Country : Not so Great Britain

Mystery Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Stuff   Mystery Stuff Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 7:55 am

possibly to mix with a resin and pour into empty cavity parts of a model ...this would be particularly effective on models like the Hudson M3 etc

DOC
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Mystery Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Stuff   Mystery Stuff Icon_minitimeSat Nov 13, 2010 9:24 am

Resin/glue is the only thing that comes to me, too. Melting lead into forms so it fits inside grips or specific space would be to complicated, I think.
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Mystery Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Stuff   Mystery Stuff Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2010 12:15 pm

I know a Model Boat / Ship builder who creates ballast weight in the boats' hulls by using lead shot mixed with epoxy resin.
Being able to measure out precise weights is far easier with small lead shot and pouring liquid resin/lead shot mixtures into empty cavities is far easier than trying to fit in strips or blocks of lead.
The resin pours and runs into those awkward to get at spaces easier too and then sets hard so as not to move around.

Doc mentioned Hudson's M3, CAW have added a Kilogram of weight to this model which is a considerable amount of weight. Photos I've seen of their prototype suggest they've used metal sheet to form parts of the model but they'd have to add ballast in empty spaces to achieve the weight they have.
Resin and shot would be the perfect answer.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Mystery Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Stuff   Mystery Stuff Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:10 am

But the pack stress that each lead powder is 1mm in diameter - must be something about it (i.e. if these have to be melted beforehand I don't think such precision required)...will try to dig it out further...
Back to top Go down
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

Mystery Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Stuff   Mystery Stuff Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 8:14 am

1mm beads will blend well with resin to form a thin but weighty wall so can be fitted to more areas ...if the beads were 2 or 3mm there would be less places for them to go.

1mm bonding better than 3mm beads ... you certainly dont want one comming loose and rattling around an impossible to reach place.

DOC
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11073
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

Mystery Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Stuff   Mystery Stuff Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Hi Jim

Your post about these bags of 1mm lead shot has had me searching through the 'Net for alternative suppliers and uses.

Model boat and aircraft builders use it as ballast set in resin or even Blu-Tac as Doc confirms. Other uses are for Scuba divers for additional weight. Fishing and Shotgun reloading are other sources.

E-Bay have a few sellers, one I found offers 1 kg bags of lead shot between 1 and 2 mm diameter for GB£6.75 + postage of £2.95.
Does that sort of price compare favourably with the bags you found Question

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
DOC
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
DOC

Mystery Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Stuff   Mystery Stuff Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:36 pm

1,000 ¥ is about a quid more

DOC
Back to top Go down
jim
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
jim

Mystery Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Stuff   Mystery Stuff Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 7:15 am

DOC wrote:
1mm beads will blend well with resin to form a thin but weighty wall so can be fitted to more areas ...if the beads were 2 or 3mm there would be less places for them to go.

1mm bonding better than 3mm beads ... you certainly dont want one comming loose and rattling around an impossible to reach place.

DOC

Understood - 1mm is definitely more flexible than 3mm therefore can be distributed more evenly...

I thought simply gluing these powder around the underlug/recoil spring area in a thin layer will be the most simple way...but then I'll simply buy a HW or metal version of the same model instead...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mystery Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Stuff   Mystery Stuff Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mystery Stuff
Page 1 of 1