MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help me please my M9 don't fire well

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

Number of posts : 389
Location / Country : France
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Help me please my M9 don't fire well Empty
PostSubject: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 5:57 pm

Hello guys,

So, i recently have a marushin M9 model kit and everything was ok when i do the first test with only 2 cartridges(1 with marushin cap and the other with MG). I had the noise "bang", the smoke and the shell was ejected.
Anyway, today i prepared 6 cartridges like the turorial (with silicone grease, silicone oil,etc...). When i go, the shell is well ejected but no sound and no smoke just the ejection!!! For all the cartridge prepared. This is wired no??
I think it's maybe a problem with the gun but i don't know where.
Someone have a idea???

I'm really disapointed because the first test was great and now Mad

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi Mono'

Am I correct thinking that each of the 6 cartridges you loaded today have fired, that is they've fired when you pull the trigger, blowback the slide to extract and eject each cartridge, and chamber the next one correctly Question

The "only" things missing are Smoke and a loud "Bang" Question

If this is the case, it seems to me the gun itself is working correctly and the problem is in the cartridge somewhere...
It may be that you've applied too much Silicone Grease and / or Oil. If the silicone is too thick it may not burn cleanly giving less smoke.
It may be sealing the cartridge and not allowing smoke and sound out very well...

If the gun is firing every cartridge and ejecting cleanly and strongly, the cartridge and gun are working as they should.

Try re-loading again, use only a thin smear of silicone oil, just enough to lubricate the 0-rings and edges of the cap.
Make sure the cap's powder charge and the firing pin which forms part of the "primer" is dry.

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi Cerwyn,

OK,OK. I think you are right because it's true i put a lot of oil and grease. Well, yes, the gun eject all the cartridge and when i open it i see the cap is off.
So i have to try to reload with a very little bit of oil.

I will give you some news about my next tests Cerwyn, i have check the gun too and all parts are goods and well mounted.

Thank you very much Cerwyn, i will become nearly an "expert" of model gun Smile

Bye
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 9:03 am

Hi mono'

yes, you'll soon become an expert as you become more familiar with your modelgun and loading cartridges.
Remember also that thorough cleaning of cartridges is essential to make sure they work correctly.
Please do let us know how you progress and feel free to ask anything Wink

Back to top Go down
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 9:59 am

Hello,

I have test with only some oil in the cartridge, not elsewhere.
Test with 3 cartridges = 2 bads and 1 good.

Test with no oil at all (some oil stay on parts but not too much)
Test with 2 cartridges = 1 bad and 1 good.

Well i don't know what to think....When the cap is good, i have a big "bang" and the cartridge is really eject far !!! But why other cartridges don't work ?

Can you make for exemple 5 cartridges without problems???

See you Wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 5:47 pm

It is possible to achieve successful and consistent firing from cartridges. If you watch some of the videos posted on the site you'll see magazines of 20, 30 cartridges firing well in sub machine gun models, semi auto pistols can be seen firing several magazines of 7 or more cartridges in quick succession.
I've fired more than 100 cartridges through one model during a single session. Missfires start due to dirt buildup around the Detonator Pin and Chamber towards the end of these long sessions rather than any problem with the caps themselves.

Missfires ARE frustrating, they do occur for a variety of reasons.

Faulty caps are a possibility. More than one reference is made on the site of the occasional "bad" box of caps.
It could be faulty manufacture, it could be humidity has dampened the caps in storage.

Cleanlyness and careful loading of cartridges should give good results assuming the caps are dry and good.

All I can suggest at the moment is that you start over, make sure your cartridges are thoroughly clean and dry. Check the 0-ring on each piston is clean, undamaged and in good condition. Any cuts or damage to 0-rings can cause gas pressure leaks and poor firing.
Load the cartridges dry, apply only a small amount of silicone oil or grease to the 0-ring surface only.
It may be worth carefully pushing the piston closer towards the cap rather than positioning it flush with the top of the cartridge body.

Make sure the Barrel, detonator pin and chamber are thoroughly cleaned. Remove all traces of dirt and residue from the pin.

If this attempt fails, look carefully at the gun itself, is the slide lubricated to allow smooth movement over the frame?
Is the magazine feeding every cartridge into the chamber correctly?
Is the hammer reacting correctly to trigger squeezing?
If a cartridge fails to fire, what happens when you squeeze the trigger the second time, does it fire then or still fail?

Back to top Go down
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks a lot Cerwyn for this advices.

I have try again and that is wired because I have tried removing the o ring on the piston, almost all the cartridges fire well Shocked Shocked
It seems the o ring of the piston doesn't do his job. When the o ring is here, and the cartridge jam, when I unscrew the cartridge, I ear a little "psshiit" goes out of the cartridge. I think the air doesn't go out well.

Maybe I haven't oiled enough my o ring piston??

Wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Removing the 0-rings can be difficult to manage without damaging the rubber. Personally, I don't remove the 0-rings unless they're cracked, split or damaged in any way. I can honestly say, however, that I've only needed to replace no more than about 6 rings in the 7 years or so I've enjoyed this hobby.

The 0-rings should look like this:-
Help me please my M9 don't fire well HudsonandMGCpiston3

Note Hudson type Piston on Left, MGC type on the right ...

One sign that a cartridge is firing well and that the 0-ring is lubricated sufficiently is that when you unscrew the fired cartridge, the piston will have blown out of the cartridge case and into the "bullet" tip. Often, the piston will simply drop out of the cartridge when you unscrew it.
If, after firing, the piston is still pushed to the bottom of the cartridge and in contact with the cap then there are two possibilities:

1. Cap did not ignite (faulty cap or modelgun not set up correctly Question )
2. Cap ignited but piston failed to blow back (dirty or corroded cartridge, not enough lubricant or damaged 0-ring Question )

If the cartridge case is perfectly clean and smooth inside then a thin smear of silicone grease or oil should be enough to lubricate the 0-ring well enough to allow it to blow back easily.

Note that the 0-ring is a vital component, these MGC type cartridges cannot function without them.
Likewise, a cartridge designed to use 7mm diameter caps will not blowback if loaded with 5mm dia caps. Gas pressure escapes past the cap and the "primer"

Another possibility is "air-lock" ... Sometimes, the 0-ring seals so well, it causes an air-lock inside the cartridge during loading. What you will see and feel is difficulty pushing the piston into the cartridge. The piston can feel spongy and will raise out of the cartridge by itself.
In this case, attempts to fire can fail because the hammer cannot push the firing mechanism hard enough to overcome the locked in air-pressure between cap and piston.
Should you find this happening, wipe away a little of the grease or oil from the 0-ring and try inserting into the cartridge again. If it's still spongy and raises up again, gently continue pushing until the piston finally sits correctly.

Be sure also that when loading MGC type c.p. cartridges, the cap must be pushed to the bottom of the case and against the brass "primer". The primer MUST sit flush with the cartridge base like this:

Help me please my M9 don't fire well DSC00020

If it does not, then pistols or any other Centre-Fire type modelgun will not fire correctly. The model's firing pin needs to strike the "primer" hard enough to push it against the cartridge piston and Gun's detonator pin.

Keep us up to date with your progress please, lets' get your M9 firing like it should Wink

Back to top Go down
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks for all this informations Cerwyn but I have a doubt about your post.
Maybe I"m wrong with the word "piston". For me the piston is the part which enter in first in the cartridge. It's a little square part with a o ring around. Your photos don't show piston.
I have said I remove this o ring and the fire cycle is better.
I think you have understand what i mean but i'm not completely sure.

Anyway, if you tell me the o ring is necessary, i'm going to oil very carrefuly my o ring.

Wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:26 am

Hi Momo'

You were right to doubt my post, I was referring to MGC Beretta M9, not the Marushin Beretta you have which uses a different cartridge design Embarassed
My error, for which I apologise my friend.

Loading instructions for the Marushin type cartridge can be found here:

I know there are 2 slightly different types of Marushin's centre fire Beretta cartridge. My own M9 Dolphin model was supplied with 5 cartridges. These have a different 0-ring set-up on the Primer and Firing Pin unit... this is the part that pushes into the cartridge base.
Firing with these 5 produced rather poor results, lack of blowback power being one problem.

Cartridges that I bought seperately have more substantial 0-rings around the Primer / Firing Pin as can be seen here:

Help me please my M9 don't fire well DSC011591

It is possible perhaps that Marushin redesigned the cartridge to give better results ( Question ), I can say that these newer types do fire very well even with the 0-ring fitted to the part you insert into the cartridge first during loading.

All Marushin cartridges rely on the cap itself being able to slide smoothly inside the cartridge during firing. The cap acts as the Piston to give blowback. It's essential therefore that the outer edges of the plastic cap have some lubrication to assist smooth travel.
If the cap sticks or is slowed by friction, blowback can be poor.

Could you check the 0-ring types fitted to your Primer/Firing Pin please Question If these differ to the photo above, this may be part of your problem

Also, try lightly greasing the cap's outer edges as you load, and let us know what happens please Question

Back to top Go down
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 am

Hi,

You don't have to apologize, it's ok.
So, I can tell you all my cartridges are exaclty the same as the loading guide instruction :
- Cartridge body
- Cartridge base
- Striker pin (which hit the cap to ignite)
- drilled and grooved piston (that this part I remove the o ring).

My doubt is this one :
If I remove o ring of "drilled piston", the air go out easier (I suppose). More, the drilled piston move easier in the cartridge.

I have to say I am a beginner with model gun, I just begin to discover, so I looking for the goods things to do.
I have to try another time about five cartridges with the o ring on psiton and I tell you the result.

Wink
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:18 am

Hi All

My own experience is that ALL marushin carts with the "Donut" type oring piston work a lot better with the oring removed!!
Take for example the case of the XM177 cart, basicaly the same (are know there are a lot of differences but the upper section is same principle with cap acting as a seal) but no Oring and they have to blowback a LOT further...
It seemed to me with the piston oring fitted it encouraged gas to be passed backwards through the non ideal primer oring setup.
Use them without the oring on the piston:)
Back to top Go down
Momocampo
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:22 am

Coooool I have a new friend called JohnnyV Smile
I see I'm not the only in this situation and I'm especially happy because it's means I'm not too bad Smile

Thanks Johnny for your help Wink
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Thanks very much for your input John Very Happy It certainly does help to get more than one source of opinion and experience.

I'll have to try firing my Marushin M9 with the 0-rings removed just to see what differences there are. I have to say they fire very well with the O-ring in place, it'll be interesting to see how they go without it
Marushin's MP40/UZI cartridge works perfectly well without any O-ring, the cap makes a good enough seal to cycle the '40 especially.

I often wondered why Marushin supplied the M9 centre fire cartridges with the O-rings in a seperate bag within the box scratch

Momocampo, you'll soon find that Modelguns can be very frustrating things to make work properly at times Wink Part of the fun is overcoming problems so don't think of yourself as bad at it my friend, we're all learning new things about these models every day.
One good reason why this forum of ours is so successful is we all learn from each others' experiences all the time Wink

Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi Cerwyn
I can never translate as well as I would like to but i believe tucked away inside the Japanese instructions is a small bit of text "sort" of saying use orings if needed???
Without the orings I think smoke moves better in barrel..... could just be optimistic, subjective, wishful thinking though lol!
Do let us know what you think when you try it!!
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi John,

Wouldn't it really useful to know what reasons would make the use of the O-rings necessary Question Google Translate is my only means of translating Japanese to English but that isn't perfect

For some reason I find I get very little smoke from any of my modelguns, certainly nowhere near what can be seen on videos.
Perhaps silicone oil or grease doesn't burn well enough to make smoke. One oil that does smoke a lot is mineral based 3in1 but that isn't well suited to rubber 0-rings

I will certainly try my Marushin M9 without them, I shall try videoing it to show momocampo that successive firing is possible... now I've said that it'll probably break as soon as the camera's rolling

Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 6:50 pm

Not much smoke out of my models either, if that consoles you ;-)
Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:11 pm

smootik wrote:
Not much smoke out of my models either, if that consoles you ;-)

And yet, watch many videos, Shiraaya's especially and smoke pours out of them Exclamation

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me please my M9 don't fire well   Help me please my M9 don't fire well Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me please my M9 don't fire well
Page 1 of 1