MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

22 Target Pistol?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

Number of posts : 333
Location / Country : Perth, Western Australia
Registration date : 2008-08-21

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: 22 Target Pistol?   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 9:48 am

Some time back I bought a bunch of replica guns in the one deal.
Included was this single shot gun, which fits a .22, and from my research I have done, appears to be either a target pistol or a duelling pistol. In one of my books I did some searching in, it appears that it fits closely to a similar gun made by E. Kempster Gunsmiths of Belgium. An online search came up with nothing.

It looks like there might be some remains of some markings on the side, but it's impossible to see what it once was.

Does anyone have any ideas?

22 Target Pistol? DSCF0082Custom

22 Target Pistol? DSCF0089Custom

22 Target Pistol? DSCF0090Custom

22 Target Pistol? DSCF0091Custom

22 Target Pistol? DSCF0092Custom-1
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 22 Target Pistol?   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 11:56 am

Could be also German "parlor pistol".
I think Flobert did similar ones early on, later copied in other countries (including Belgium you mentioned).
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 22 Target Pistol?   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 1:01 pm

Hmm.......I've been doing some more Googling, but can't come up with much which looks like mine.
I've tried parlor guns, parlour guns, target guns, duelling pistols, .22......etc.

I think I will try to scan the image from one of my books, but the book is pretty big and might not fit on my scanner.
So far I'm still thinking it is a Belgian gun by E. Kempster.
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 22 Target Pistol?   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 6:02 pm

Sorry for photo quality, my camera finally broke after years of service. Fortunately before it happened I have taken many (yet unreleased) photos, enough for a few reviews until I get a new one.

Take a look at this picture from one of my books. Inspecting details close up it looks the same, and has same features, except for a different grip. Yours might not be from the same factory, could be a clone (modern or contemporary), but at least it gives you a good lead for further searching :-)

It is described as "Flobert Tip-up pistol, France".
Quote :
In the 1840s a Frenchman named Rene Flobert invented a new type of cartridge which consisted of a case whose base contained a percussion cap with a rim of primer compound; the mouth of the case contained a round lead ball and was lightly crimped to hold the ball in place. The primer compound was sufficiently powerful to propel the round over short distances for target shooting, but propellant was later added to increase the range. These cartridges were so successful and their use became so widespread that they became known simply as "floberts".
Flobert also designed and manufactured rifles and pistols to use his cartridge, which were available in 4mm (approximately 16 gage) upwards. The two pistols we show were produced at his factory. Both are .22in caliber and their barrel lengths are 9.25in and 7.9in
22 Target Pistol? Flober10
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 22 Target Pistol?   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 1:03 am

Thanks Smootik, that is very interesting.
It seems that probably a lot of these types of guns were copied from an original design.
I'll see if I can do a scan or photo and post it up.
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 22 Target Pistol?   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2011 3:08 am

Here's a scan from my book, which made me think that mine was manufactured by E. Kempster, like stated in the text.

But reading it again, it states that the sample shown could be E. Kempster because of the style of bottom of the grip.
I'm thinking now what Smootik stated, that there could be plenty around based on the same design.

22 Target Pistol? 0001

22 Target Pistol? Jay0001

Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 22 Target Pistol?   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 1:10 pm

I've been doing some more searching and I think I have come up with the answer.

Maybe a Leclercq.

http://www.littlegun.be/ma_collection/belgique/be%20klmno/a%20be%20leclercq%20j%20gb.htm

It's almost a dead ringer for mine. Similar grip, similar everything, except mine doesn't have all those markings.

Mine......

22 Target Pistol? DSCF0082Custom

Leclercq......

22 Target Pistol? Gun

Last edited by Ozguns on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 22 Target Pistol?   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Looks pretty much like yours, even the grip :-)
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 22 Target Pistol?   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2011 2:18 am

Thanks Smootik.
I had to Google "Flobert tip up" like you suggested, or otherwise I doubt I would have found it.
Cheers. Smile
Back to top Go down
Maunderbeak

Number of posts : 1
Location / Country : England
Registration date : 2012-02-22

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: My .22 pistol   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 5:35 pm

This gun looks very similar to one I was given as a child - nearly 60 years ago. I have only just started trying to find out more about it but have only managed to discover that it is probably Belgian. Can anyone tell me anything else about it?

22 Target Pistol? IMG_0403
22 Target Pistol? IMG_0402
Back to top Go down
Ozguns
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
Ozguns

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 22 Target Pistol?   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 11:17 am

G'day mate, welcome to the forum.

I think yours is pretty much like I found with my research.
Yours looks so close to what I posted as well, so I'm guessing that it's probably Belgian or French.
The only way to really know would be to find and identify markings if possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

22 Target Pistol? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 22 Target Pistol?   22 Target Pistol? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

22 Target Pistol?
Page 1 of 1