MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Empty
PostSubject: Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor   Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Sadly, my "new" Hudson Thompson M1A1 arrived with a broken claw on its extractor! Sad
It about a week after it had arrived before I realised that - having been busy with other things!
I intended to get a steel bolt made in the future, complete with new extractor, so I decided in the meantime that I'd take the first available opportunity to have a go a making my own extractor out of mild steel plate; then case harden it by oil quenching.

Knowing nothing about case-hardening at first was an challenge - but after reading numerous internet articles about how to increase the carbon content of mild steel by first heating it to a cheery-red colour, and quenching in a high carbon environment (such as car oil) - I thought I'd give it a try! bom
Using the broken extractor as a template I scribed its outline on a piece of mild steel plate scrap I had in my workshop.
Every dimension was cut out oversized by 2.0mm -3.0 mm with a hacksaw by hand; then it was hand filed until the width and profile was correct - except for each end; these were left about 3.00 mm too long.
That allowed for fitting - especially the claw end. As the original was missing, I used photos from this forum and a PFC cartridge to get the dimensions good enough to work. sunny

The photos tell the story.

The problem:
Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Theproblem

1.Measuring
Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor 02oversizedplate2

2. Initial fitting and checking
Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Before

3. Heating to a cherry-red colour (and maintaining the heat for a wee while - to allow all the steel molecule to re-align)
Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor 03readytoheat

4. Quenching in Car Oil
Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor 04oilquench

5. After cooling down in the oil
Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor 05b4andafter

6. Final installation
Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor 06re-intalledextractor

Don't know how long it will last but - it works fine at present. scratch
It uses the old type of pin to hold the extractor in place - and you can see it's already bent! I'll replace it with a stainless steel pin in due course.
But at least it works for now, and I learned many things - and had a heap of FUN!!! sunny

Kiwigunner
Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Kiwie1

Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor   Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Great effect! I'm jealous of people who can make physical things :-)
Back to top Go down
metradio
Modelgun Enthusiast
Modelgun Enthusiast
metradio

Number of posts : 68
Location / Country : Slough, Berkshire, UK
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor   Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 7:13 pm

Respect..
Back to top Go down
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HT600E
8ace
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
8ace

Number of posts : 2554
Location / Country : UK
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor   Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Nice work,

I had the same problem on my first Hudson Thompson many years ago Rolling Eyes and on the later ones I think they changed to stainless steel ones.

I've made a few extractors in the past and I settled with using tool O1 or D2 steel which I’ve left as is without hear treating. Not looked into adding carbon to mild steel as high carbon steel is readily available in the UK (ebay). I have oil blacked using a similar system to you but not heating it to cherry red and using used (non detergent) classic motor oil Very Happy which leaves a great finish (like your one) and it's rust resistant cheers

One thing to check is that when quenching metal (in oil or water) is that it's not too brittle as depending on the carbon content it can end up like glass affraid

A great material for the pin is thick piano wire which should be available from most modelling shops.

8Ace

Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor   Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Thanks for the comments guys! Laughing

Smootik & Metradio: I'm just a newbee to modelguns, but with an acquired Kiwi attitude of fixing things with whatever is handy, I've learned not to be afraid to try my hand at anything! It's something I've developed since emigrating to New Zealand as a young boy!
Over the years I've got myself into trouble through my initial lack of knowledge! But usually it's been worth it for the lessons gained! study
I hope I help inspire you (and others) to "push boundaries" in your areas of interest (which may not necessarily be metal-working)!
Modelgun problems seem to go with modelguns....and I (like many others here) love try to figure out ways to do things and share my experience thru this forum. scratch

On this forum I have found so many helpful and knowledgeable people and sources of inspiration....I just love this place! cheers

8Ace: Thank you for sharing your information & experience! I shall certainly look at getting some piano wire for a pin! Much appreciate the suggestion. sunny
I did read on the net about the brittleness issues...so I "wait with baited breath" to see how long my handi-work survives! Did the original extractor claw break for the same reason, I wonder? Question

Just this evening I spent a bit of time re-staining the wood pistol grip on the Hudson; I've replaced the stock with a real one, so I re-shaped the grip and stained it to match.I managed to get an original WW2 Kerr-sling last month (after Cerwyn won my repro sling as a prize).
In spite of the Hudson's short-comings, I think it is one helluva good looking modelgun! king

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
Cerwyn
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn (Site Admin)
Cerwyn

Number of posts : 11075
Location / Country : North Wales
Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor   Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Another nice example of DIY engineering at its best:D Lovely bit of work Kiwi Very Happy

Hudson's M1A1 Thompson is a beautiful model without doubt. 8ace fitted genuine Thompson woodwork to his and transformed it into a model that looks RIGHT. The darker coloured wood looks far better than the light tan almost yellow wood Hudson used.

With some tweaking, the Hudson can be made to fire PFCs consistently and reliably too. One of my all time favourites Very Happy

Maybe you could share your tips on staining wood to improve looks and finish too please Idea

Hobby collector of Replica model guns and Militaria.
also member of Living History Reenactment Groups.
Back to top Go down
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor   Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Ok Cerwyn! Good idea! Very Happy
I made the post here:
https://mp40modelguns.forumotion.net/t1329-real-thompson-woodwork-fitted

Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Dscf0013

Kiwigunner

Last edited by kiwigunner on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add pic)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor   Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacement Hudson M1A1 Extractor
Page 1 of 1