MP40's Modelguns Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MP40's Modelguns Forum

International Forum for Modelgun enthusiasts

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CMC M1 carbine question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

Number of posts : 552
Location / Country : Cambridgeshire UK
Registration date : 2009-08-24

CMC M1 carbine question Empty
PostSubject: CMC M1 carbine question   CMC M1 carbine question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 12:54 am

Maybe this is a silly question... but why does the CMC M1 carbine have the semi/full auto selector switch/function fitted?
I know there were kits issued to convert the M1 to semi or full auto on the real steel, but cannot understand why the model is marked as M1, and has M2 functionality??
As I said probably another huge gap in my knowledge but can someone answer?
Cheers
Back to top Go down
smootik
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
smootik

Number of posts : 1823
Location / Country : Poland
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: CMC M1 carbine question   CMC M1 carbine question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 am

Try to translate description for "U.S. Carbine Caliber .30 M2 (CMC, 2nd model)" (not 3rd!) found here:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/nkoinuma/WW2A.htm
It explains a bit of history - MGC released M2 version and CMC apparently did their own take on that.
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

Number of posts : 556
Location / Country : Auckland/New Zealand
Registration date : 2010-03-10

PostSubject: Re: CMC M1 carbine question   CMC M1 carbine question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 am

Gentlemen - a VERY timely question & answer! cheers

I took possession of my CMC Paratrooper M1 Carbine only two days ago and discovered the same thing as Johnny V. Question
CMC M1 carbine question 178295714_full

The selector switch in question. Question
CMC M1 carbine question M2selectorsw
My carbine is missing its oilier and the bayonet fitting!
CMC M1 carbine question M2missingbayonetfittingCMC M1 carbine question M2missingoiler

It seems like a repair to the folding sock had been successfully made by a previous owner; but the selector switch was loosely working. You can see the repair on the left of the top stock wire.
CMC M1 carbine question M2repairedupperwire CMC M1 carbine question M2stockrepairweld
After some Google hunting I found a couple of good You Tube videos about M2 workings; my model was missing the "9" spring off the selector switch, so I soon made one and it operates as it should now. And I'll need to buy a bayonet fitting /end cap

CMC M1 carbine question 9507101954_abasa007 CMC M1 carbine question M1carbinebayonetfitting
However, the internals are basiallyc the M1 (semi-auto) version with the required components to make it fully automatic non-existent.

So I have decided my next project is to make or by some parts and make them fit! Twisted Evil
These links to the vids might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-J-uNcwnXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np_pQyC22Pg

For modelguns this is perfectly legal...unlike for REAL M1 to M2 mods.

And of course I will have to write a review - and maybe do installment posts of the modifications under the appropriate heading - and as you can see, it needs a bit of re-bluing and tidying up!

But my question is: Did the CMC M2 actually fire on full-auto or was the selector switch just a dummy?

Kiwigunner

Last edited by kiwigunner on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:52 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : typo corrections; fix photos)
Back to top Go down
http://anzaction.weebly.com/
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: CMC M1 carbine question   CMC M1 carbine question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks Smootik Very Happy

Hi Kiwigunner ! Love that vid !! I want one of those demo models!!! for all modelguns! great thanks!
BTW my M1 has all the internals to fire full auto:) lucky!

Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: CMC M1 carbine question   CMC M1 carbine question Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 1:02 pm

lJohnnyV yours has all the M2 workings ???? sunny

And mine doesn't! affraid

All I have to say is in the words of this Toyota Commercial (NZ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbBx4Ql6Umo&feature=fvsr

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
shazhib
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
shazhib

Number of posts : 323
Location / Country : Tokyo, Japan
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: CMC M1 carbine question   CMC M1 carbine question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi folks,

I actually tried to convert my Tanaka M1, into M2.
I bought M2 related parts from US, but the conversion required some modification around upper receiver, trigger housing and hammer. I think a sear needs to be replaced as well of which will arrive here in a mean time. Anyway, here are some photo.

CMC M1 carbine question P1000328
Machined upper receiver belly. 2nd sear for M2 will top up this area, need o make some room for it.

CMC M1 carbine question P1000325
Machined base (lower) part of hammer due to fitting of 2nd sear just aside.

CMC M1 carbine question P1000324
Hammer and 2nd sear. I also machined the area bit front of hammer.

CMC M1 carbine question P1000323
Right side of a view, with full auto bar links 2nd sear and slide

CMC M1 carbine question P1000322
Left side of view with my hand made spring.

Well, all the parts are there, the fitting is done. Is that works smoothly? the answer is no.
I found a pin holds full auto bar has little bit of play. Also, an area the bar touches at a slide does not push the bar enough to release a hammer from 2nd sear. I assume that real M2 been made of steel, parts are solid and fitted tight, however, Tanaka modelgun body is made of zinc, parts are not fitted precisely (due to mix of Tanaka parts and real parts), strain by stress is more explicit.

I saw 2 video which Kiwigunner linked, I found the parts should be well fitted and adjusted to make every parts travels desired distance which is not really happening in my M2.

Still need some more work.

S
Back to top Go down
JohnnyV
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
JohnnyV

PostSubject: Re: CMC M1 carbine question   CMC M1 carbine question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi Katsuro

Question, does the select lever move (try to return to semi position a little bit) when the link
bar is "trying to raise the 2nd sear?
Reason I ask this is on my CMC (which did come with all parts but did not fire full auto) this movement gave the effect same as yours of:
"an area the bar touches at a slide does not push the bar enough to release a hammer from 2nd sear."
The problem was the "9 spring" not having enough tension to hold the lever, and this allowed the bar to drop very slightly from true position needed to trigger 2nd sear.
Problem was that in order to insert 9 spring tension was reduced, answer was to insert 9 spring then use pliers to "uncoil" it while in position to put extra tension back on, mine worked then.

Other option is to insert small metal spacer between 2nd sear and bar. (also may need to shave top of 2nd sear as it moves higher and may bind on top section.

Sorry if all that is not related to Tanaka problem:) just a suggestion!
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: CMC M1 carbine question   CMC M1 carbine question Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi JohnnyV & Shazhib,

Two things might help: scratch

1) the size of your spring seems to have a bigger "0" in the "9" = needs a tighter turn to increase the tension; and it looks a bit smaller than the one I made, which took me two attempts; the first attempt the spring was a bit too small! Question
It works fine now

CMC M1 carbine question M2ejector9spring

2) the slide in your photo Shaz is an M1 slide. The M2 slide had a cam angle cut in it: Question

[img]CMC M1 carbine question Shazslide-1
CMC M1 carbine question Slidecam
On the real M2 the slide had to be replaced, but I'm sure you can modify yours.

If either of you guys could send me the dimensions of the trip lever and the interrupter I'll make my own to tailor fit my carbine!1

I have to modify my sear too, but I have photos I can use as a guide.

Thanks.

Kiwigunner

Last edited by kiwigunner on Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shazhib
Modelgun Perfectionist
Modelgun Perfectionist
shazhib

Number of posts : 323
Location / Country : Tokyo, Japan
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: CMC M1 carbine question   CMC M1 carbine question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Johnny,

I made my spring tight, but I see it moves slightly. It does not firmly affix to a position of full auto. I know this kind of extra play/move is not good.

I think it is good idea to add something to 2nd sear so that the sear moves more when the var pivots.

But I also the area where front side of bar been pushed down, need "mountain" to push the bar down (I think this is something kiwigunner mentioned by comparing his and my photo.

Other thing I noticed is, it requires fairly strong force to push up the 2nd sear. That is other reason all the parts synthetically with less play.

S
Back to top Go down
kiwigunner
Modelgun Master
Modelgun Master
kiwigunner

PostSubject: Re: CMC M1 carbine question   CMC M1 carbine question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi Shazhib,

Thanks for shring all this information. I am learning a lot about M2' Carbines!
I'm not sure of the shape of your sear, but here's a photo of an M2 sear for comparison.

CMC M1 carbine question Searcomparison

I measured my nine spring (using a piece of string!) and it is 50 mm long when pulled straight.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Kiwigunner

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CMC M1 carbine question   CMC M1 carbine question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CMC M1 carbine question
Page 1 of 1